Pointer vrs Flusher Article in Shooting Sportsman

Shadow

I kind of liked Shadow! Good pictures, of course I took the jabber with a grain of salt, ( like this particular forum). Also his counter part from Colorado with the shorthairs, used a muzzle loader, hunted with a preacher? Boy they would have livened this up good! Sometimes we take this way too seriously. I would have left them on better to have some crusty so and so besides me!

I kind of liked Shadow! Good pictures, of course I took the jabber with a grain of salt, ( like this particular forum). Also his counter part from Colorado with the shorthairs, used a muzzle loader, hunted with a preacher? Boy they would have livened this up good! Sometimes we take this way too seriously. I would have left them on better to have some crusty so and so besides me!

That was Mustistuff or something like that. I agree everything needs a little color life gets boring without it. I don't take any of it too seriously

Huh feel foolish not thinking about what the gunners are doing with running around with a loaded gun, but you guys are right...not safe.
Not surprised those dogs are high strung...sure would not enjoy getting a pup out of one of those burners.
Back in roughly 1983, Richard Wolters discussed a new type of dog trial that was being proposed. It recieved alot of negative feedback from the experts in the field of trialing back then. As I recall he (Wolters) was one of those that helped design the new event...it was what NAVHDA uses now i.e. the concept of pitting a dog against a standard vrs each other. Guess the experts back then saying it would not work were wrong.

Huh feel foolish not thinking about what the gunners are doing with running around with a loaded gun, but you guys are right...not safe.
Not surprised those dogs are high strung...sure would not enjoy getting a pup out of one of those burners.
Back in roughly 1983, Richard Wolters discussed a new type of dog trial that was being proposed. It recieved alot of negative feedback from the experts in the field of trialing back then. As I recall he (Wolters) was one of those that helped design the new event...it was what NAVHDA uses now i.e. the concept of pitting a dog against a standard vrs each other. Guess the experts back then saying it would not work were wrong.

I may be wrong but I believe Wolters proposed and started NAHRA. NAHRA has a small but almost fanatic following in our area. I have run NAHRA events with success but there arent to many oppurtunitys with out driving long distances.
AKC hunt tests, HRC hunt tests, and NAHRA judge the dog against a standard and award pass/fail scores. They all have similarities, and differences.
I personally like AKC the best as they have the most tests, greater title recognition, and are generally the most challanging. HRC is fun but they tend to get a little hung up on theatrics. IE the clothes you wear, how you blow a duck call etc. I get what they are trying to do but the clothes you wear dont make it real hunting! NAHRA is probably the closest to real hunting, unfortunaly the setups are long to run and make for a loooong day.

I may be wrong but I believe Wolters proposed and started NAHRA. NAHRA has a small but almost fanatic following in our area. I have run NAHRA events with success but there arent to many oppurtunitys with out driving long distances.
AKC hunt tests, HRC hunt tests, and NAHRA judge the dog against a standard and award pass/fail scores. They all have similarities, and differences.
I personally like AKC the best as they have the most tests, greater title recognition, and are generally the most challanging. HRC is fun but they tend to get a little hung up on theatrics. IE the clothes you wear, how you blow a duck call etc. I get what they are trying to do but the clothes you wear dont make it real hunting! NAHRA is probably the closest to real hunting, unfortunaly the setups are long to run and make for a loooong day.

My bad and you are correct about the NAHRA and Wolters...I miss the old Gun Dog when it was more articles vrs commercials, even the stories seemed longer. Plus the writers like Waterman, Wolters, Duffy, Proper...kind of took them for granted

I thought AKC pitted dog against dog vrs a standard i.e. There could only be one winner? Did they change how they run their trials? Or am I out in left field again? Have never trialed a dog before.

AKC trials (dog vs. dog). Pointing dog trials can be walking or with horses.

AKC Hunt Tests (dog vs. standard)

I thought AKC pitted dog against dog vrs a standard i.e. There could only be one winner? Did they change how they run their trials? Or am I out in left field again? Have never trialed a dog before.

AKC Field Trials pit dog against dog with points and ribbons awarded for first through fourth, a reserved JAM, and JAMS for dogs completeing the test but not doing work good enough to win. JAM = Judges Award of Merit.
Hunt Tests are judged against a standard and were intended for amatures. Since the growth in popularity of the Master National pros have become the norm at the Master level. I am trying to qualify one of my dogs for the Master National this year. It is being held near St Louis and they are expecting 1200-1600 dogs to compete! The Master National requires 6 master passes in a calander year to qualify, takes 14 days to complete, and has a pass rate of 25%. Three Master National Passes earns a dog a spot in the Retreiver Hall Of Fame.

I'll hunt over any dog, flusher or pointer, wearing any kind of collar or no collar at all if it means I"m hunting vs at this frick'n desk. Just let me know!

AKC Field Trials pit dog against dog with points and ribbons awarded for first through fourth, a reserved JAM, and JAMS for dogs completeing the test but not doing work good enough to win. JAM = Judges Award of Merit.
Hunt Tests are judged against a standard and were intended for amatures. Since the growth in popularity of the Master National pros have become the norm at the Master level. I am trying to qualify one of my dogs for the Master National this year. It is being held near St Louis and they are expecting 1200-1600 dogs to compete! The Master National requires 6 master passes in a calander year to qualify, takes 14 days to complete, and has a pass rate of 25%. Three Master National Passes earns a dog a spot in the Retreiver Hall Of Fame.

I find that impressive as hell best of luck to ya! Cannot imagine that many dogs In one competition, guess the duck toll is equal to when the gladiators 'fought' slaves in the arena

I have long dreamed of having a GSP to point the bird, a Lab to flush the bird, and some Bird of Prey to go get the bird.......Just to see each of them be able to do their thing......Maybe in another lifetime.......

That would be different. Not having to carry a gun... Have you ever seen a falconer do his thing? Had one come hunt the preserve one time. It caught the pen raised birds pretty quick out of the air. The guy said that when hunting wild birds it will catch them closer to the ground or when they are gliding down to land. Said his catch rate was about 20 percent on pheasants. Worse than that on smaller birds.

The guy said that when hunting wild birds it will catch them closer to the ground or when they are gliding down to land. Said his catch rate was about 20 percent on pheasants. Worse than that on smaller birds.

I know we're getting off subject a bit:eek: Anyway, there's a field hunt in SD where the hawks do this too. The pheasants come in to roost; while gliding the hawks would get on their trail quick!! It was neat to watch how the pheasants learned to deal with this. Once the hawks were onto a gliding/roosting pheasant, instead of continuing to glide, the pheasants would end their glide/flight by instantly dropped straight downing into the cover--as soon as the hawk was onto them.

I watched the hawks drop down on that exact spot where the birds would drop down. They were hoping to grab the bird on the ground except once the pheasants hit the ground they ran away from that "drop" spot.

Fast learners aren't they?;)

I know we're getting off subject a bit:eek: Anyway, there's a field hunt in SD where the hawks do this too. The pheasants come in to roost; while gliding the hawks would get on their trail quick!! It was neat to watch how the pheasants learned to deal with this. Once the hawks were onto a gliding/roosting pheasant, instead of continuing to glide, the pheasants would end their glide/flight by instantly dropped straight downing into the cover--as soon as the hawk was onto them.

I watched the hawks drop down on that exact spot where the birds would drop down. They were hoping to grab the bird on the ground except once the pheasants hit the ground they ran away from that "drop" spot.

Fast learners aren't they?;)

Hawking or falconery whatever they call would be a neat alternative, can't imagine the amount of training that takes...I remember as a kid watching an episode of American Sportsman with Curt Gowdy (that dates me) and they did an episode where they used a yellow lab to flush pheasants in SD (I think) and had a peregrine falcon dive down and try to take the birds...I think it got one of them.

The correct answer is German Wirehaired Pointer. :)

Really any hunting dog that is run on wild birds a lot will probably learn how to produce birds. I'd rather not hunt behind a flusher but I have and it was OK. Just different tastes. The big thing is that the dog needs to be on lots of birds no matter what breed.

I feel sorry for those who have only preserves as an option for most of the season and then go on a week long trip to hunt wild birds. It really isn't fair to judge a dog or breed in that situation. In the past 2 years my Wirehair has been on wild birds for about 2 months before the season even starts. He would look like a lot of out of place one week a year pointing dogs if he wasn't on that many birds. The same would be true for the best bred springer.

Just so nobody tries to tell me a pointing dog can't produce as many birds as a flusher and then they tell me about walking corn with 19 other guys I'm fine with anyone's breed of choice. Those dogs are just there for retrieving...and my pointy dog will do that just fine too. :D

Tim

The correct answer is German Wirehaired Pointer. :)

Really any hunting dog that is run on wild birds a lot will probably learn how to produce birds. I'd rather not hunt behind a flusher but I have and it was OK. Just different tastes. The big thing is that the dog needs to be on lots of birds no matter what breed.

I feel sorry for those who have only preserves as an option for most of the season and then go on a week long trip to hunt wild birds. It really isn't fair to judge a dog or breed in that situation. In the past 2 years my Wirehair has been on wild birds for about 2 months before the season even starts. He would look like a lot of out of place one week a year pointing dogs if he wasn't on that many birds. The same would be true for the best bred springer.

Just so nobody tries to tell me a pointing dog can't produce as many birds as a flusher and then they tell me about walking corn with 19 other guys I'm fine with anyone's breed of choice. Those dogs are just there for retrieving...and my pointy dog will do that just fine too. :D

Tim

I lived in KS for bout 15 yrs and training a dog on birds was doing the yard work ie. steadying etc. then just going for walks out in the fields. The birds were always there only had to supplement pigeons when it came time to shoot few so the dog could put it altogether. Now live back in MI and it can be a real chore training a dog as birds in the fields especially pheasant are scarce. We have lots of partridge and woodcock where I reside but then comes the issue of trying to train a dog that disappears from sight once more then 20 feet from you (Bueller? Bueller? Bueller).
So I am envious of those of you able to do such...kudos.

I find that impressive as hell best of luck to ya! Cannot imagine that many dogs In one competition, guess the duck toll is equal to when the gladiators 'fought' slaves in the arena

We picked up two Master passes in Kingsman Kansas over the weekend! Only 3 more before August 1 to qualify. Running this weekend in Iowa! The dog and I are a bit spent but he's tearing it up!

We picked up two Master passes in Kingsman Kansas over the weekend! Only 3 more before August 1 to qualify. Running this weekend in Iowa! The dog and I are a bit spent but he's tearing it up!

KUDOS to ya! Okay from a previous entry to talked about master passes and needing 6(?) to get to Master Nationals right? Assume these are all total retriever games and no upland skills? What's max number of blind retrieves need to be done and what is the hardest station?

Back