Pheasant Feeder made easy

birdshooter

I've seen some discussions lately on feeding Pheasants during Winter, so I thought I might share an idea that I found on the DNR's website a couple years ago. Easy to build and put in the right places offer an easy place for the birds to get feed. Deer and other critters seem to leave them alone. All you need is some hardware wire mesh (preferably 1/2" if you can find it). Double wrap it and secure in the form of a cylinder.

I've attached the DNR info I used to make it below.

I've set up a couple of these behind my place near a wetlands. I try to put it near an area close to where the birds will be using cover. Preferably near a tree line which offers some protection from the elements.

Nice thing about this setup is the birds can pick the corn right through the mesh as it is just wide enough to hold in the corn, but the birds can easily pick it out. That's why 1/2" double wrapped works best. To test it you can shake the whole unit and corn should easily filter out onto the ground.

feeder2.jpg

Last edited:
Birdshooter that is a great feeder and very easy to make, hopefully some of the guys on here can use them. I wish I had known about this when I was on the board of PF as it would have been a great addition to the tree planting and habitat work we did.:10sign:

It seems to me that non-pheasant species would really put a dent in the corn being put out. I could see field-fencing to keep deer at bay and enabled this to be legal in my deer-bating/rec-feeding banned state, but then there are coons, turkeys, squirrels, mice .... list goes on and on.

I realize this depends on how many birds hit it, but how often do you have to fill it up?

I don't have many pheasants that call home to the area I put the corn out for. maybe a half a dozen at the most. I have a couple of these and I may fill it once again before spring. As I stated other critters seem to leave it alone, except I see some rabbits have used it, but deer have not bothered it. This may be different in your neck of the woods but mine it is not a problem.

Cool. Thanks for the picture. What did you use for the top and bottom, and how did you tie the wire mesh together?

Cool. Thanks for the picture. What did you use for the top and bottom, and how did you tie the wire mesh together?

The top is optional. I just used a cover from a 5 gallon bucket. Nothing on the bottom, but I suppose you could have a bottom as well. Use some wire ties or plastic cable ties to secure the mesh together.

While I have not had issues with deer bothering it, i suspect that is because I don't have many deer that move through this area. Be sure to read the attachment I included in my original post. The DNR has some ideas on where to place it and how to make it deer proof. Once it's secured to a pole or tree it is fairly sturdy.

Last edited:
I've seen some discussions lately on feeding Pheasants during Winter, so I thought I might share an idea that I found on the DNR's website a couple years ago. Easy to build and put in the right places offer an easy place for the birds to get feed. Deer and other critters seem to leave them alone. All you need is some hardware wire mesh (preferably 1/2" if you can find it). Double wrap it and secure in the form of a cylinder.

I've attached the DNR info I used to make it below.

I've set up a couple of these behind my place near a wetlands. I try to put it near an area close to where the birds will be using cover. Preferably near a tree line which offers some protection from the elements.

Nice thing about this setup is the birds can pick the corn right through the mesh as it is just wide enough to hold in the corn, but the birds can easily pick it out. That's why 1/2" double wrapped works best. To test it you can shake the whole unit and corn should easily filter out onto the ground.

feeder2.jpg

sweet set up:coolpics::thumbsup:

I made a deer feeder out of 6 inch PVC pipe and put a top/cover on it and a capped Y at the bottom for them to eat out of. Drill several small holes in the bottom cap to let any rain drain off. Keeps the corn off the ground and dry. My question is why couldn't a fellow use this same type of setup and instead of the "Y" at the bottom just cap the straight pipe and then drill a series of holes along the bottom to let the corn escape? Or maybe just an elbow at the bottom and let them access the open end of it. Using the PVC would keep the corn dry and prevent mold and spoilage.

I like the feeder. And I like the bird cover, security, near the feeder.:thumbsup:

The feeder is an idea that i picked up from the DNR. although they don't actually advocate feeding pheasants as according to them exposure, not food is the major threat from harsh winters.

As far as where to place them, I'm now thinking that you shouldn't put them under or near larger trees as that will or could pose a risk from raptors (eagles, hawks, etc..) But they should be close to good winter roosting cover so the birds will not have to travel far to and from cover. It's inexpensive to build and beats the heck out of just dumping corn on the ground to only be covered up by snow.

The feeder is an idea that i picked up from the DNR. although they don't actually advocate feeding pheasants as according to them exposure, not food is the major threat from harsh winters.

As far as where to place them, I'm now thinking that you shouldn't put them under or near larger trees as that will or could pose a risk from raptors (eagles, hawks, etc..) But they should be close to good winter roosting cover so the birds will not have to travel far to and from cover. It's inexpensive to build and beats the heck out of just dumping corn on the ground to only be covered up by snow.

You could build a tripod out of 2x4s or logs and hang in a field away from trees.:thumbsup:

You could build a tripod out of 2x4s or logs and hang in a field away from trees.:thumbsup:

I suppose you could, although you would be kind of depending on the wind to shake the tube to allow grain to fall to the ground. By having it touch or at the very least be near the ground, the birds can just peck the corn through the mesh to get at it, which is what it was originally intended for.

Back