Pheasant Camp!

I'll be heading up to West Burlington area Wednesday-Saturday to deer hunt. I'll chase some your way.

Last edited:
If I want to chase some grouse, I'll have to take a day off from work. It is a little tougher for me to get to good grouse areas due to work and family. Good luck. How long will you be at your camp? I hope the snow isn't too bad for you.

At this point I'm looking at day trips, "ugh" and it's a 3 1/2 hour drive. Maybe a Saturday hunt, sleep, then head home Sunday. We're driving fools lol. The old Chevy really racks up the miles!

I'll be heading up to West Burlington area Wednesday-Saturday to deer hunt. I'll chase some your way.

West Burlington ??!! :eek: I know the area very well. Maybe we will bump into each other. Good luck.

Great area I've been hunting up there for 35 yrs.for deer,turkey and grouse and back in the day even wild pheasents they use to be all over. Hope this ice is melted.:thumbsup:

We went up to Camp today to catch up on some work and check on some spring plantings. The area was loaded with deer sign and I flushed a grouse right by my deer stand.
Our field is just completely LOADED with black berry and rasberry this year! All type of wildlife love em. :thumbsup:
My Hybrid Chestnut and Sawtooth Oak also seem to be be having an exceptional year.
The little bit of switch grass seems to be just hanging on,although that's more my fault!:(
It was good to get back to camp with Hollowatcher and start thinking about the fall hunting season!:)

Glad you enjoyed your time at camp. I think it was a good year for berries everywhere this year. The switchgrass is hard to keep after. It seems the trees and weeds want to always take over.

Nice to hear about the grouse. I think I'll try to spend more time chasing grouse this year. I think I'll hunt hard when I'm off in late December.

Just finished reading Thread from start to finish, great Thread!:10sign: A lot of good stories and pictures, we hope to close on our own camp soon.

Well if early reports are right it should be a good season at Camp. The grouse sightings are up, woodcock are always plentiful, and the State has again promissed to release a ton of birds in the area. All day at work all I keep thinking about is bird dogs, upland birds, family and friends and good hunts this fall. I just can't wait to get back to camp!

Fldbred,

You're right about the grouse, there seems to be more around this year. I don't think our camp is to far from yours and where pretty excited. We've been seeing a lot of nice bucks already and we have begun to build to put up our stands. The dream of owning a camp has finally come true, and the fact that the GC is releasing all those birds in this county is just icing on the cake. I want the season to hurry up and get here, but we also want to savor every moment!

Good luck everybody. I hope to get after some grouse this year but that is always the most difficult thing for me. I hope to do a good bit of grouse hunting the week of Christmas.

I don't have a pheasant camp but hope to hunt a lot close to home. I still see holdovers from last year and the numbers should be good again this year.

Parooster,
I am glad you have finally made your dream a reality..make sure you take some time to just enjoy it all! Good luck this season!

Thanks..Have any plans for the upcoming week?

I have Thursday afternoon off and will hunt then. I don't know if I can get out before that. It's getting dark earlier and that makes it tough to get out after work. This Saturday is our PF youth hunt and next Saturday is our Vet hunt. Plenty of work for the dogs is coming up.

I have Thursday afternoon off and will hunt then. I don't know if I can get out before that. It's getting dark earlier and that makes it tough to get out after work. This Saturday is our PF youth hunt and next Saturday is our Vet hunt. Plenty of work for the dogs is coming up.

That's some good stuff Brian. Keep up the good work.

Back