Pheasant Camp!

If any of you gentlemen wouldn't mind having an Ohio boy tag along for a few days on some hunting, let me know! I would be more than willing to make the drive out, and if ya wanted an extra dog, I've got a two year old chocolate lab that would go crazy for the chance to run more birds!

Good luck at camp this year! Can't wait to see more pictures from this fall.

I'll mostly stay in south central PA and hunt mostly the same areas. I want to try out a new (to me) SGL sometime. That will probably be a day off from work.

Had a few days off so went to camp to do some much needed work.The farmer down the road who has let much of his acerage revert back to fields because of the gas leases had some real good news. He has been seeing a good number of birds and even a couple of broods!I also found some dust bowls and sign on an adjacent farm. This is going to make the Summer even longer!

Going up again next weekend,maybe I can get some pictures!

Thanks for the report. I've been seeing a few different birds in the area this summer but I have not seen broods.

I have not but my boys said they heard some fly off when they were playing in the woods about 6 weeks ago. Maybe when the weather cools a little I can run the dogs and see what they find.

Had Chipper up at Camp for some training!This was behind the farmer's house!He has three Vizslas by the way!

Last edited:
We had flushed some doves from this spot! He's got a real good nose.

New pup Fldbred? You didn't tell me. I'm training Camy too and I forgot how much fun that is to train a pup. Just taking my time and moving at her pace. She is almost 6 months old.

New pup Fldbred? You didn't tell me. I'm training Camy too and I forgot how much fun that is to train a pup. Just taking my time and moving at her pace. She is almost 6 months old.

I did tell you! It was in the response when you told me about Camy's condition. How's she doing?
On that other issue I guess your dream really has come true! Imagine WILD pheasants on your own property in Pa.!! You deserve it my friend!

How about some pictures of the new place and of Camy as well!

You're not alone! The bird the PGC releases is a hardy character and given some decent cover he can survive pretty well. With all the gas/mineral leases a lot of farms are idle fields, so birds are turning up in a lot of places. Thanks for the report.

New Land

Fldbred, here are some pics of the new farm. The first is a pic of the 40 acre field which is now beans. It will soon be switchgrass and food plots. The second is the back of the property which is known for high woodcock numbers. the final pic is my wife and Camy our Griffon. She is becoming a neat little dog.

IMG_20160822_191331606_zps6vbivbp1.jpg

IMG_20160824_113901558_zpsly18mc1y.jpg

IMG_20160710_154823446_zpsgbkedtk0.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Your dream of owning property with WILD pheasants on it looks like its about to come true!
Be careful , looks like the Misses is about to take over your bird dog! :roll eyes:

Thanks for sharing! :cheers:

Ah...that's a nice point from the pup! Your going to enjoy your Griff, Ive never met an owner of one that didn't praise them and they always went back to the breed.Where I used to train Dugan a guy used to come down wth a Griff and we became friends, his pup is now 13 1/2 and going strong! The dog has a great temperament and is fun to be around!
He has the same problem as you though, his wife took over the pup many years ago and watches every move the guy makes with her baby! :eek:

What a day, today was as good as it gets anywhere when hunting the wily ole rooster and what do ya know it happened right here in good old Pennsylvania. We headed up to pheasant camp and hunted an area where will only harvest roosters. Plenty of cover to hold birds through out the year. There was a good amount of people hunting but what is good about this area is the cover is all over so it's not hard to find your own spot. Each spot we hunted we were the only ones which was a good thing because we had to work hard for the two roosters we put in the game bag.

The first rooster we put up was in a massive switchgrass field..we had to be working the field for about an hour when we decided to work towards the middle where there was a depression and as we get there Chipper gets birdy and starts to trail the bird eventually working it back to us where it flushed.

We then headed toward another huge field that is a old reverting farm and then I guess the roosters decided it was personally because they decided to start flushing wild a good quarter mile ahead of us. We would see 3 do this in total and we had no chance at those wily roosters..Chipper would get crazy scent and then it would be gone..they would run when they had to and they fly when they had to and then repeat. As we were heading back to the truck we cut across a ridge to a hedgerow along a bean field and we managed to sneak up on one of those roosters.

We hunted a couple other spots throughout the day and actually flushed two hens.. these hens ran like roosters and flew like roosters and the only reason we managed to flush them was we were hunting habitat..with so much cover around we had to use they lay of the land and different types of habitat almost as pinch points.

We then headed to the cabin to cook those roosters up because we were hungry!

Everything tastes better at camp!

What a day!

Back