Pheasant Camp!

Way to go Brian, that's meat in the freezer! I saw a really nice 12 pt. out at about 125 yrds and I didn't want to risk it while he was walking. I didn't see that monster that I missed last year, but the farmer thinks he's still around.

I seen a good half dozen grouse around my stand and heard a rooster out in the distance, it doesn't get much better than that.

Nice buck Dan. I got a 7 point around noon. It was the 2nd buck I saw but the first one saw me first. You will be happy to know I got it with one shot. It was missing a brow tine or it would have been a nice 8. I have to tell you though, as i sat there in the woods I was thinking how boring this is compared to bird hunting. Starting kids on deer is a mistake I think.

Thanks Lynn, and congrats on your buck. I agree 100% about the bird hunting vs. deer hunting issue. I hate leaving Dugan behind, my wife said he had a mournful howl after we left for camp with out him, I am sure Lilly is the same.

I had to get a bark collar for Lilly because she would bark all morning when I would go deer hunting. It didn't set to well with the Mrs as she is trying to sleep.

good to hear yall are finding some deer!

hearing/seeing all those different animals would be a nice day in the woods.

Headed up to "Pheasant Camp" this long weekend to do some habitat work, cabin repair, and crowing counts in the area. Anyone else headed out this weekend?

Enjoy your trip to your camp. This weekend I will be getting the net on the flight pen and in another couple weeks it will be time to put the blinders on the chicks. So far this has been the best year for raising the pheasants. I started out with 212 birds and a little over two weeks later I have 208 birds left.

Let us know what you find up at camp.

Enjoy your trip to your camp. This weekend I will be getting the net on the flight pen and in another couple weeks it will be time to put the blinders on the chicks. So far this has been the best year for raising the pheasants. I started out with 212 birds and a little over two weeks later I have 208 birds left.

Let us know what you find up at camp.

You're getting really good at that Brian, Ill keep you in mind for a wild captive breeding program! ;)

So far we planted 600 lb of switchgrass. I picked up another 250 yesterday. All towards our effort to cover PA in switchgrass :)

I think you would plant switch grass in you're living room, if your wife would allow it!:)

I put some empty seed bags in the back seat of her Lincoln SUV and got some seeds in her car. Based on her reaction to that, I don't think she'll go for it in the living room:)

We had a great time at camp as usual. I thought I would take some pictures of the inside of camp "shown above". Those pheasant mounts are over 45 years old, There are also plenty of deer racks, grouse fans, and turkey feathers etc.! I took more pictures but my computer is painfully slow, so I'll post them at a different time.

Last edited:
Nice pictures. Any signs of birds while you were up there?

A few days ago a guy told me he saw a bird with blinders on. That bird is from October 2011 and is still living with the blinders on.

If that bird is from 2011 that's pretty amazing!

We didn't see any pheasants this time, but the local farmer said he has been hearing a few roosters crow. We did see some grouse and turkey.

I am surprised you didn't notice the ring-less cockbird!

I did miss it but saw it when I looked a 2nd time. I have not had a lot of time to check things out lately. Work, boys, dogs, birds and baseball takes up a lot of my time but that will change in a week or two. By then baseball will be over and I'll be off for the summer. :cheers:

The holdover pheasants have been hanging out around the alfalfa fields and they just got cut yesterday. I have not seen the 3 hens in a while, I'm hoping they set up a nest somewhere in the switchgrass field.

We will be heading up to Camp to due some grouse hunting, "Bradford County"anyone else going out for grouse?

If I want to chase some grouse, I'll have to take a day off from work. It is a little tougher for me to get to good grouse areas due to work and family. Good luck. How long will you be at your camp? I hope the snow isn't too bad for you.

Back