Pheasant Camp!

If you would have asked me the question of whether or not I could have a legitimate Pheasant Camp in the state of Pa a few years ago I would have been hesitant to answer you. There is no question that it would have been possible however would it have been practical. I researched the idea of going out west for my Pheasant Camp like a lot of other people do but couldn't over come the fact that where I wanted to be was in the hills of the Pennsylvania Countryside!
I will make it out west one day though! Now if you ask me that question the answer is a resounding yes! With the cooperative efforts of Pheasants Forever and The Pennsylvania Game Commission as well as hundreds of sportsmen the state of pheasant hunting in Pa has changed dramatically! If you do your homework you will find your self some quality bird hunting that takes a back seat to no one! The opener is almost here so I thought I would share some pics from Pheasant Camp last year!

SDC10323.jpg

SDC10301.jpg

SDC10324.jpg

SDC10317.jpg

SDC10305.jpg

I will see if I can find some more and will definitely update through out this years season!

You other guys can share as well! Let's see em!

I am looking forward to the season as well. Things will be a little tougher this year with the losses the PGC had but if a person puts in enough time they should have some luck. I'll be able to get out the first two weekends and then after that is a youth hunt on Nov. 5th and a vet hunt on the 12th. I'll be working the dogs on those two weekends. Here are a couple pics past pheasant seasons.
HPIM0487.jpg

HPIM0488.jpg

DSC00589.jpg

DSCN0992.jpg

The next generation of pheasant hunters

The pheasant hunting in Pa. can be as good as you want to make it.There are even some opportunities for wild birds if you do your home work.

Great pictures! Looks like a couple of future Penn, State LB's!

Nice pics guys, that is some beautiful country y'all have out there and good lookin dogs too.:10sign: That bird the with the two young men looks huge!:cheers:

Looks like fun. Glad you can preserve the tradition. Pa. used to be among the top pheasant states in the country, hopefully could be again!

The pheasant hunting in Pa. can be as good as you want to make it.There are even some opportunities for wild birds if you do your home work.

Great pictures! Looks like a couple of future Penn, State LB's!

Maybe one LB. The other is built like a kicker. But I'll take a scholarship for any position in 12 years!

Thanks guys! One thing for sure is that the tradition of pheasant hunting is alive and well and not going anywhere! We are lucky to have a state wildlife agency that understands sportsmen and is willing to work with great conservation organizations like Pheasants Forever!

Bauerline,
Nice pictures! I wish you and your boys good luck hunting this season!

Maybe one LB. The other is built like a kicker. But I'll take a scholarship for any position in 12 years!

Hey there's nothing wrong with being a kicker! Let's face it,your boys could work up to benching 350-400 lbs,but if they can't run 4.5 "genetic " they probably aren't going to play Div.I.

Looks like fun. Glad you can preserve the tradition. Pa. used to be among the top pheasant states in the country, hopefully could be again!

Pa. may never harvest 1.5 million roosters again,but there are good people in the PGC working hard to keep the small game hunting tradition alive.

I think the PGC is trying hard to help small game hunters. I am looking forward to the quail management plan getting started up. Good luck to you as well Hollow Watcher and everybody else. Remember to get some pics to share of this coming year.

We don't own any property "yet" in the area we call our pheasant camp.We have been hunting the area for a few years and have done a lot of habitat work on the local farms.If you were to drive through the area you would see why it offers the pheasant hunting it does. Even people with just a few acres leave some cover up for the birds,it's a community effort.
We do own a deer/bird camp in Bradford County,that has some decent grouse and woodcock in the area and even some hold over roosters!

Most of the habitat work was done by the local sportsman,some by Pheasants Forever.It frustrates me sometimes when you hear people complaining,if they are willing to do the work,they will have the birds!

Here are more photos from this years Pheasant Camp!

The first three pictures are of some of the areas we hunt! The cover sure makes for some hard but enjoyable hunting!
cover3.jpg

cover.jpg

cover1.jpg

Here we are heading back to the truck after a long days hunt!
backtotruck.jpg

Here is Dugan all tired out!
duganresting.jpg

My only complaint is that it always goes by so fast! Can't wait for next year! Looking forward to helping out with the flushing surveys!

Here is a different angle of a picture I posted earlier of a ring neck we caught a glimpse of on our way out! He took off as we got closer! He was coming out to get grit just the old days here in Pa!

wildringneck.jpg

Nice pictures. Looking forward to the flushing survey myself. I will be out with the dogs tomorrow to help out.

The dream of owning a Pheasant Camp has now become a reality. Our property in North East Pa is in the heart of deer and grouse country and always presented and opportunity to harvest a few pheasants! As many of you already know the future of pheasant hunting here in Pa gets better and better with each coming year due to the efforts of Pheasants Forever and the Game Commission! Due to those efforts the area around camp has now become a place to go for pheasant hunting! A bunch a habitat work has been done and we have done a tone of scouting and are really pumped that our camp is now located close to some of the best opportunities the state of Pa has to offer as it pertains to pheasant hunting!

We will still take our trip out to the "original Pheasant Camp" because that place still has it going on and it has know become tradition but we are looking forward to making many new traditions!

Here are few pictures from an area we discovered at the end of the season last year!
003.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

004.jpg

That area looks like it should hold some promise. I hope you have some success in a couple more months. Do these areas get stocked from the PGC or does it contain a pocket of some wild birds? Is your pheasant camp in an area that has a late season? I wish we had a late season down here just to chase after some of the holdovers.

Back