Personal Protection

I use a tractor inner tube:eek: You can never be to safe when it comes to iowa women:) Thats funny guys but I don't think thats what Brit had in mind for this thread.

Oh, I'm good with the direction this thread's going. Very entertaining :rolleyes:

Man brittchaser
thats some kind of topic you started here.Nobody on the site and 6 people in the lounge. I bet they don't even hunt!:mad::D

The forum needed a little goosing. :D

If you have ever been to Iowa, you are better off carrying a paper bag instead of a Trojan:D

Guess you won't be trying your luck in Iowa anytime soon. :D

Getting back to the original question. Last year i was out in ND traveling through with a few buddies. We stopped at a hotel alongside the freeway in a larger town. We got our room keys parked the truck and were heading to our rooms. A guy stops me and asks for money for food for his kids, it is now 11:30 at night! I tell him I don't have anything for him. He starts to call me names and swears at me. The he tells me he has 5 guns in his car and he is going to go and get them and meet me at my room! I get into my room, call the front desk and report the problem. Five minutes later the police arrive and get a description of the guy from me and say they will handle it. I didn't need the gun, but it was in my pocket and I was prepared to protect myself if he was the guy who showed up at the door.
Do I think it is necessary? YES because I have been confronted. Did I have to use it or even show it to this guy, no. But I don't see the problem in being prepared.

Isn't Mr. Box the fiction writer of mysteries featuring the warden Joe Pickett character?

He's ok...but I prefer Joseph Heywood's books, comparably.

Yes, I've read them all, great books. The highway is cody hoyt book not a Joe Pickett book. good book but scary as heck.

No wonder ducks fly upside down over IA, it ain't worth $(&^ on.:cheers:

Any way yes I do, Gods plan may also be to survive by having to defend my self, friends or family. When I take a few Z's in the truck in some strange town. I sleep better knowing I am armed against the trash out there everywhere these days. If Gods plan is to have you mugged, beaten, robbed and stabbed to death, well, hope your family agrees. To each their own I guess. I choose freedom and protection over death and tyranny any day.

No wonder ducks fly upside down over IA, it ain't worth $(&^ on.:cheers:

Any way yes I do, Gods plan may also be to survive by having to defend my self, friends or family. When I take a few Z's in the truck in some strange town. I sleep better knowing I am armed against the trash out there everywhere these days. If Gods plan is to have you mugged, beaten, robbed and stabbed to death, well, hope your family agrees. To each their own I guess. I choose freedom and protection over death and tyranny any day.

Well said:thumbsup:

Have you guys ever had trouble traveling? I don't even know anyone that has. What part of towns are you staying in.

Coot if your having to wear a tractor inner tube for protection, I'm thinking just maybe your the one staying in the wrong part of town. :eek:

I carried professionally for 32 years and when I retired they gave me the paper work to apply for a concealed weapon permit. I carry and will as long as I am physically able to. I do not feel more "powerful" with or without a firearm and I now avoid places where I feel there may be a problem. The face has more wrinkles and the hair is mostly grey and there are those who think that says easy pickings. It is for them that I carry. "Power" has nothing to do with it. JMO, YMMV.

I normally have a scattergun along on hunting trips.
Can't say I feel any safer but the dogs seem to prefer that I bring one.

:laugh: Outstanding!

I have never worried about my personal safety while on a hunting trip. If anything I worry about the truck getting broken into at night, but it is not a huge concern for me.

Always take the hand gun on trips, I figure its like four wheel drive on a truck, You may never need it but its nice to have it when you do. Times have changed the world isnt what it use to be.

Not trying to cause any trouble here and please don't misinterpret my question. As a Canadian I just don't have the right to carry wether open or concealed. Our laws are extremely prohibitive and the only place we can use one is at a registered range and the only time we may transport one is from our home to the range or shooting event at another registered range. They are also still registered here and will likely always will be although we have recently done away with the long gun registry. Because of all this BS I have never bothered to get any. If I could hunt with them ( we can't) I would definitely own some. My question though is, is it really that "unsafe" down there that you feel the need to carry? Obviously there would be some scenarios where it makes alot of sense but I wonder how widespread that is? Again , no disrespect intended I would also own and occasionally carry if I could.

Not trying to cause any trouble here and please don't misinterpret my question. As a Canadian I just don't have the right to carry wether open or concealed. Our laws are extremely prohibitive and the only place we can use one is at a registered range and the only time we may transport one is from our home to the range or shooting event at another registered range. They are also still registered here and will likely always will be although we have recently done away with the long gun registry. Because of all this BS I have never bothered to get any. If I could hunt with them ( we can't) I would definitely own some. My question though is, is it really that "unsafe" down there that you feel the need to carry? Obviously there would be some scenarios where it makes alot of sense but I wonder how widespread that is? Again , no disrespect intended I would also own and occasionally carry if I could.

I think you may have answered most of your Question by your last statement.
"I would also own and occasionally carry if I could"
By our Constitution "We Can, and we Do".
Last night on World news it was reported that an 88 year old WWII vetran was beat to death by two thugs. Sad but it happens!

:laugh: Outstanding!

I have never worried about my personal safety while on a hunting trip. If anything I worry about the truck getting broken into at night, but it is not a huge concern for me.

I feel the same way.
I worry more about the house being broken into when I'm gone
My wife is uncomfortable without a dog around.If I owned a handgun it would be at home with her.

First, your post is not in anyway offensive (at least to me). Second, thanks for posting info about a very different, yet very similar, country. I think if you compare the U.S. versus Canadian crime data you will see quite a contrast. For U.S. crime data visit the website of the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). I think the high crime rate is a significant factor in the so-called gun culture of the U.S. Having been a victim of violent crime myself, I am not comfortable without a gun in certain situations. Moreover, having a gun saved me from being a victim of violence a second time.

Last edited:
... My question though is, is it really that "unsafe" down there that you feel the need to carry? Obviously there would be some scenarios where it makes alot of sense but I wonder how widespread that is? ...

No...short answer.

But I expect I might feel a tad concerned were I to hunt some Indian Reservation land....rumor is that some can be an unwelcoming place.
Likely a bit of truth there.

Handguns are all the rage now along with trumpeting the 2nd at every opportunity....and nothing wrong with them or that but nothing wrong with a scattergun on a hunting trip at the motel or camper or wherever either.
Most though are concerned for times when a long gun is simply not possible.
That and the earlier reasons will find packing heat a plus for most who post.

I have more of an issue in understanding why Canadians put gravy on French fries.

I feel the same way.
I worry more about the house being broken into when I'm gone
My wife is uncomfortable without a dog around.If I owned a handgun it would be at home with her.

What? You don't have a gun hidden in every orifice? What are you a f@cking communist?:D

I have more of an issue in understanding why Canadians put gravy on French fries.

Canadians put gravy on french fries?? OMG! I had no idea. I am now so sorry I was polite to TerryM above. :D

Back