Other Than Upland Birds.......

About 6 years ago I became addicted to black bear hunting in WI, MN and MI. An adrenaline rush like no other

About 6 years ago I became addicted to black bear hunting in WI, MN and MI. An adrenaline rush like no other

Back when we ran hounds in this state I had a pack run a big boar black bear within ten yards of me in a draw, it was pretty awesome.

I love doves , ducks as well...now in summer who does not like shooting "sod poodles"...& hunt, Daddy is always hunting for big crappie too.

I buy a deer tag every year, not sure why as I never really go deer hunting but I do buy one.:cheers:

Same here I'm worse I plant food plots for deer but rarely hunt them if ever any more??? ive only shot Buck whitetail fox coyote goose ducks of all species 3 sub species of turkey all but 1 or 2 species of grouse but only 1 species of quail & lots of pheasant...

Antelope & mule deer & elk I'm not worried bout shooting lots I know wear to hunt moose I'm more worried about shooting them gonna be a pain now that MN dose not have a season 2 much $$$ per moose take fun out if it for me plus Canadian bound I'm not a fan...

Grew up on fishing trout & panfish waterfowl grouse & deer mostly sit & wait stuff now I only really hunt turkeys pheasant quail & grouse prairie & woodland anything but sit & Wait stuff lol

Last edited:
Other Hunting Game

I've hunted whitetail deer, black bear, turkey, pheasant, Ruffed grouse, rabbit, squirrels, and crows.

David0311

Just got back from Canadian fishing trip--heading to Saskatchewan. Oct. 1st for a week on geese and ducks--

Have bear in neighbors yard the other day if I wanted one--I don't--Lodge I stay at for fishing will guarantee shot over bait if you want--NO interest

waterfowl, turkey, big game, upland ...

early 80s

More recent

Turkey

Let this little guy pass through, but did take a couple nice bulls ...

These were everywhere and I did shoot about a half dozen (not these two). Would have been fun with a dog.

Last edited:

What other game do u hunt??? I pass bear crap all over north MN & old bear baits etc. While grouse hunting I don't see the intreague in bear I think a bull moose elk even huge whitetail would be a rush???

I'm a turkey hunting nut very Lil competes with hearing or sering a bird way off gobble making a move on him setting up & Calling him to ur gun barrel with him gobbling the hole way rush like no other...

I'm the first person in my family to be a serious bird hunter, so all my hunting experience before that was based on what my family did, which was mostly deer hunting.

But since I really got the "bird itch" I've done less and less deer hunting, and have cared less about shooting one. All I got for now is the meat.

This fall I hope to do some turkey hunting, which is new and foreign to me, but again, just hoping for some meat.

Other than upland birds I hunt ducks (just a little), deer, and turkeys. Every other year or so I go west where we hunt antelope or mule deer. I am going to try calling some coyotes this winter too.

My big game hunting has declined as I have gotten into birds and dogs.

Outdoor things I love: pheasant hunting, gun deer, squirrel hunting, bunny hunting, duck hunting, ice fishing, walleye fishing before it gets hot, antelope hunting. Outdoor activities I can tolerate but can also live without: bowhunting, fishing when it's hot out.

My perfect outdoor day, early morning deer hunt, later pheasant hunt. Or, early ice fishing, stomp some brush for bunnies during lunch, go back to fishing. Or, early duck hunt and then chase some pheasants.

Well when not bird hunting I spend my time behind my bow in a tree. Since I work in the shooting sports industry I like bow hunting for the calm nature of it. In the spring I love to hunt Turkeys and it has become an obsession of sorts. I am going for my grand slam next spring! :10sign:

Well when not bird hunting I spend my time behind my bow in a tree. Since I work in the shooting sports industry I like bow hunting for the calm nature of it. In the spring I love to hunt Turkeys and it has become an obsession of sorts. I am going for my grand slam next spring! :10sign:

Speaking of grand slam...I took a 14 year old kid turkey hunting year before last. Called in 2 big toms. They were about 5 yards away at one point. He shoots, misses, they run off. Not a big deal. Happens. Well he actually started to tear up and cry. So I said, "Dont worry about it, everyone misses from time to time." He got really mad and smart with me. He told me, "Shutup, I got my Grand Slam when I was 12!" I said, "well ive HIT a few grand slams in my lifetime too but I dont go cryin when I strikeout!" He didnt come back this year.

Speaking of grand slam...I took a 14 year old kid turkey hunting year before last. Called in 2 big toms. They were about 5 yards away at one point. He shoots, misses, they run off. Not a big deal. Happens. Well he actually started to tear up and cry. So I said, "Dont worry about it, everyone misses from time to time." He got really mad and smart with me. He told me, "Shutup, I got my Grand Slam when I was 12!" I said, "well ive HIT a few grand slams in my lifetime too but I dont go cryin when I strikeout!" He didnt come back this year.

Too Funny:)

I started out hunting pheasant, and ducks. Never did hunt big game.In my 40's, I hunted water foul in Canada, and that is unbeatable.I got into turkey hunting about 10 years ago, and really enjoy that change of pace.Bird hunting isn't about numbers, and it isn't meat hunting. It is about going out with your dog, and a good shotgun, a good friend if your lucky, and enjoying the beauty of bird hunting.

I guess my story is similar. Family didn't hunt, but I got a pellet gun early on, and started dragging home squirrels etc.....Hunted pheasants, grouse, and waterfowl when I was younger. Big time bow hunting in my 20's and 30's.
Usually shot 2 deer a year in Minnesota for quite a while. Got the turkey bug also. Really cool taking my kids as they got older. Used to fish like a maniac 3-4 days a week. Now I find myself concentrating on birds. Both kids are gone at school now, but I still try to get them out when they are home on vacation. Since I'm in se Wisconsin, it's basically pheasants. I find I enjoy that more than anything. Even if it's just me and the dog. Hoping to try some other states one of these days. Maybe the Dakotas. I have an urge to see some wide open spaces.

I started hunting with my dad, when I was 8 years old. Shot my first rooster at 10.was given an a-5 magnum at 15.Always had a great dog, always had great places to hunt.These days, private land is more difficult to hunt on, so I've found some good public ground, but still have some good, free, private ranches to hunt on.It comes down to knocking on doors, and heavy scouting.

Turkey and . . . trout.

Back