Other Than Upland Birds.......

Anyone think of or completely give up the big game hunting to strictly chase birds?

Yes sir... I grew up staring at trees deer hunting in MN have not deer hunted since I got my small munsterlander 4.5 years ago still feels funny not going on opener but I'd rather be out hunting with my dog any day most guys are deer hunting so that leaves plenty of pheasants for me to chase...

Birds got under my skin & the dog work I just can't get excited about deer stands & sit n in a stand all day any more I like venison that I miss more then the actual sit & wait game yawn!

Anyone think of or completely give up the big game hunting to strictly chase birds?

I haven't given up on deer but I'm pretty damn close. But I don't know if I can because my wife loves venison breakfast sausage patties. And last year she went deer hunting the expensive way... with a car :mad:

Never have hunted big game. I think bird hunting, I'd a cut above big game hunting, and more challenging.

Never have hunted big game. I think bird hunting, I'd a cut above big game hunting, and more challenging.

I wonder how you feel qualified to make that comparison without having ever hunted big game.:confused:
Although your statement is a bit difficult to understand.

Yeah, I also had to smirk when I read that. Each has its merits... you have to be disciplined and patient beyond belief to put a nice buck on the ground with a bow. The grind on your mind is sometimes worse than a 10 mile day busting swamps. :)

I cant quit either one. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I also had to smirk when I read that. Each has its merits... you have to be disciplined and patient beyond belief to put a nice buck on the ground with a bow. The grind on your mind is sometimes worse than a 10 mile day busting swamps. :)

I cant quit either one. :thumbsup:

With a bow yes...

Go to SD rifle deer hunting opener its pretty lame guys driving around push n. Deer hop n out shooting at running deer surround wood lots & push it etc. Very much not a hunt like in MN or WI wear I hunted deer

Last edited:
With a bow yes...

Go to SD rifle deer hunting opener its pretty lame guys driving around push n. Deer hope n out shooting at running deer surround wood lots & push it etc. Very much not a hunt like in MN or WI wear I hunted deer

Growing up in NoDak we spent most of our time deer hunting by doing drives. You think it's tough hitting a pheasant at 25 yards with a scattergun? Try shooting a buck running like his rear parts are on fire at 125 yards. I would much rather "push bush" as we called it than sit in a tree stand and fighting off sleep all morning.

Growing up in NoDak we spent most of our time deer hunting by doing drives. You think it's tough hitting a pheasant at 25 yards with a scattergun? Try shooting a buck running like his rear parts are on fire at 125 yards. I would much rather "push bush" as we called it than sit in a tree stand and fighting off sleep all morning.

I've shot many deer on the run i got tired of sit n at age 14 or so I started still hunting deer & rattling & grunting etc using deer scent & patroling a old abandend logging road up by orr MN near BWCA & in on Forrest land by McGregor MN also WI I like to hunt things not just wait or push bush... Used to make fun of them guys out deer hunting in blue jeans in a group of guys push n. Its like driving pheasant to blockers its more of a shoot then hunt in my book lots of times id rather find sign scrape rubs trails etc & sit & wait I actually can say I did something just blasting running deer on drives is not very sporting to me more a euro style hunt I always kinda thought... Everybody hunts different I guess...

Last edited:
I've shot many deer on the run i got tired of sit n at age 14 or so I started still hunting deer & rattling & grunting etc using deer scent & patroling a old abandend logging road up by orr MN near BWCA & in on Forrest land by McGregor MN also WI I like to hunt things not just wait or push bush... Used to make fun of them guys out deer hunting in blue jeans in a group of guys push n. Its like driving pheasant to blockers its more of a shoot then hunt in my book lots of times id rather find sign scrape rubs trails etc & sit & wait I actually can say I did something just blasting running deer on drives is not very sporting to me more a euro style hunt I always kinda thought... Everybody hunts different I guess...

What if you could hunt deer with dogs? That would take care of the venison need in the freezer and you can be out in the field walking with the pups too. Did it once in Louisiana hunting swamp bucks. It was a blast! But here at home where dog hunting is illegal, I bow hunt. Bow hunting sets more of a standard is the only difference. Put stand in the right place, scouting, food plots, cameras, etc... There's no spot and stalk with a bow in Missouri. Im sure some have but not the norm. And I agree with whoever said "putting a BIG buck on the ground with a bow is quite a feat!

Drives can seem less sporting, but there are some strategic maneuvering done that makes it more than just walking through trees. You have to account for wind direction, know the escape routes of the deer, understand the terrain, and know whether or not deer will even be in the area on that day at that time. All of that dictates where you put the posters and how you move through... do you walk fast and loud or slow and quiet, does everyone continue through or do you buttonhook a guy or two to account for deer that sneak around the drivers.

Personally I'm fond of the way we hunted deer in NoDak. It led to some fun memories and interesting names of locations ("Grandpa's Log," "The Slaughter House," "The Three Sisters").

What if you could hunt deer with dogs? That would take care of the venison need in the freezer and you can be out in the field walking with the pups too. Did it once in Louisiana hunting swamp bucks. It was a blast! But here at home where dog hunting is illegal, I bow hunt. Bow hunting sets more of a standard is the only difference. Put stand in the right place, scouting, food plots, cameras, etc... There's no spot and stalk with a bow in Missouri. Im sure some have but not the norm. And I agree with whoever said "putting a BIG buck on the ground with a bow is quite a feat!

No interest in running dogs for deer like in Europe... I would like to use my dog for turkey hunting but I don't hunt em in the fall not my thing but would be cool to see my girl try to retrieve a gobbler... Lol

I have 5 acres of land I put in a small food plot & have stuff in around the food plot to make a garden every year we have a blinde out every year a nice buck come during the rut if u put the time in u willget a crack at a nice buck not the most difficult thing look at the drureys & tons of other deer shows they have it down to science they shoot monsters yearly not cuz the good hunters just cuz they have the land if they hunted public or out west on public I'd say they did something but shooting pet deer you name grow for 5 years then shoot 1 day is not very cool to me they should bag Mounters yearly... I'd rather do deer drives I guess...

Last edited:
I used to hunt deer primarily until I acquired an allergy to them. Can't get near a deer now without having a severe allergic reaction. Hit me the first time as I was gutting a nice buck about 8 years ago. Thought I had somehow gotten blood or something else in my eyes then all hell broke loose.

Chalked that up to something unknown. Next year, dropped a nice 10 pointer and started gutting it and felt it coming on again. Pounded some benedryl, hot shower and someone else had to finish the gutting. Took me a couple days to recover.

I don't want to deer hunt anymore because it doesn't feel right killing one without also processing it, although my brother or cousins will clean them for me. The meat doesn't bother me, only the fur.

I have also duck hunted since I was very young. Have a very nice spot in WI that is beautiful, private and holds tons of ducks and geese. Have loved waterfowl hunting forever but nothing beats upland in my book.

Back