Opener

78% corn harvested statewide as of Oct. 9th. Should make for a little better hunting on the opener this year.

TBear...Agreed!

It's a good thing my meeting was scheduled for early before my brain could get on to pheasants!

Good luck everyone have fun enjoy the start of a new season and most of all be safe! Im even getting my old man out for opener :thumbsup: first time in years :cheers:

My dad and I had our limit by about 10:45 or so. The scenting conditions were very poor today due to the drought. The dogs at times seemed to just stumble into birds that they never smelled.

My dad is not an avid upland hunter, but I got him out today and he had a great time. He bagged this pointed bird over my male setter. The bird didn't hold long, just long enough for my dad to walk into range.

IMG_1865_zpsb31586e8.jpg

Here is my Ellie with today's bag.

IMG_1867_zps5c9356d6.jpg

We are going back out tomorrow. I am bringing a 6 month old springer pup to help her get her first bird.

Nice job, great pics

Yeah! nice pics. Thanks for sharing.
That's some good hunting anywhere, nice big mature roosters.:thumbsup:

Agree in the dry conditions. Same is holding true in the grouse woods.

First pic is great. Second pic could be better. Take 60 seconds and lay out the game in a uniform manner. To me is shows a little more respect for the dead quarry too then dropping them to the ground as they laid in the truck.

Jealous

It's nice to hear the stories about the opener. Now all I have to do is wait until next weekend. I'm still waiting to see the pictures from Mitch (I'd like to see that new GSP pointed over a big rooster)

Four of us bagged 14 birds this weekend out by Ortonville on public land. We figured we had enough and quit shortly after noon today to save the dogs (and ourselves) for the next weekends SD opener. There was a lot of hunters yesterday. Not so many today. We were able to get our first spot each day. Twice we were able to pull birds out of spots other people were just leaving. My bro-in-law and I talked a lot about how the dogs were struggling to catch scent in the dry conditions. I've been hunting this area for over 30 years. It is really nice knowing which spots pay off and which ones don't. All the other groups at the motel didn't do so well.

Going to be another long week at work as I already can't wait for next weekend!

Took my Little Sis ( first time ) 80 year old Grandpa and a friend. Wow was saturday busy ended the day with 2 birds. Should have been 6. Gandpa and the sis checked in to the hotel early so just my buddy and I went out for the last 1.5 hrs of the day. Put up 5 roosters lost one and missed 4. Not my best shooting. Nothing flushed more than 10yrds away:eek:. Went out again to day lost 2 again! finished the day with 5. These dry conditions are killing the dogs! They cant scent runners and are getting beat to hell with all the dry grass on the underside. Man we need some rain.

Opender2012GrandpaampTasha_zps3f8d020b.jpg

Opener2012JayandI_zpsca0e99a9.jpg

which places out in ortonville do you suggest? I have the next 2 weeks off. I am debating on making the haul to fergus falls area or out west.

Nice pics, Trevor.

We struggled today, and only hunted for half the day. We put up some birds but only came home with 1. In the area we were in, it was busier today than yesterday. All of the public land was pounded.

I had 5 dogs with today and they went through 2.5 gallons of water. I almost couldn't carry enough in the field, even with the WW vest.

I hunted 1/2 days both Sat and Sun...

Put a few birds up a ways out but it was really dry and very thick. Looked like everywhere I went (after my 1st spot) had been beat. You could see tracks in every field and I didnt hear that much shooting. I wish my 13 year old dog and my new puppy were ready.... I would have seen more and done better with more dogs in the field.
My Golden worked her butt off, I felt bad that she didnt get a good chance this past weekend, so I'm taking here back to the game farm to get her back on birds! Next weekend I might head to a different area of the State, before heading over to SD where we will see more birds.

Nice to see some people found good areas and got some birds! Nics pics guys:thumbsup:

Opener was a blast.. My pup Dixie got her first wild rooster..it was also the first bird of the day and she beat out a couple seasoned dogs to find it. I was quite proud. It looked to be a pretty older bird. The spurs on that thing were about an inch and were sharper than all hell. Over the weekend I ended up with 3 birds. Had some opportunities for more but didn't shoot the greatest.

my opener down buy albert lea was a bust we ssen 14 birds no more then 50 yards from our cars while we were parked at like 7:30 6-7 were long tail roosters the chased each other & picked gravel while we watched it then started to down pour rain & the birds went into the cover in front of the cars but by like 8:30 the birds had all flown off the public land & filtered back in after being shot at at legal shooting time we kicked up hens but no roosters on opener only 2 blue wing teal...

2nd day my buddy bagged a long spured old rooster & i dropped his e coloer control so in spend a few hours doing circles intill i found it on the 2nd trip to the wma to find the control lol but i found it but any way south central MN was hard hunting to say the least but seen some huns but on private lands & damn near in IA..

my family that went out west had a increadible public land hunt on opener on 3 WMAs they we 1 bird shy of there limit of 10 birds for 5 guys & they had lost 3 other birds that day my brother got 4 birds my dad 2 im happy he got his limit!!!

day 2 out west was a little slower but they got 4 birds & lost 2 by 12:00 sunday & they decided to head home & save the dogs for next week ends MN PRAIRIE CHICKEN HUNT & PHEASANT HUNT with 13-14 birds 6-7 birds shy of a 2 day limit everybody was happy m dad got 1 bird sunday so 3 total not bad for a guy that cant walk to far!!!

they seen at least 20 plus birds on the roads 3 seperate times while driving around from spot to spot in 2 days hunt & also ran into some hunts bu nobody had a shot so i will be hanging in MN this season & saving money & not going to SD it seems the good days are back in my old pheasant haunts!!!

ment to say they ran into some huns out west but were on private lands & my family hunted WIAs & WMAs they did good on a WIA land but better on a established WMA in the area all in all the public land gave up a great hunt for the MN opener WK-END...

i think im heading out west come WED or THUR to try & get on a few left over dummy pheasants b4 i head up to hunt MN PRAIRIE CHICKENS ill then head back out like the 3rd wk-end & maybe B$ thanks giving or MN deer opener??? maybe on MN deer opener???

Back