NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

TX looks like they are in trouble, I saw this last week on the US Farm report, they are having a huge sell-off of cattle there, no grass left. CA, UT and NV all have serious wide-spread drougth going on. This heat is really making things worse, most of the country is getting cooked now.

Thanks for posting the map Byrd.

Kansas still hasn’t recovered from the 2012 drought. Kansas pheasant hunting will not recover from another similar year in my lifetime.

SW Kansas has been trending to permanent drought conditions for quite some time.
been hunting there for over 20 years now, it may end up as a new desert soon.

I saw a deal tonight on the news that said garden is having its driest year on record. We were in Ness last weekend and drove through Syracuse the week before. It’s rough . I hope you all get some rain soon

Last edited:
when things are tough pipe-dream solutions are everywhere. mother nature, climate change trumps any expert thesis.
it is what it is.

Well, obviously it is a pipe dream. We don't really do big ideas anymore. But if the alternative is just to continue the current system of sharecropping on land owned by large mutli-national agri-industrial conglomerates in order to grow food for cows, who then turn that food into a gas that accelerates and exacerbates climate change, then I guess it doesn't hurt to fantasize a little about other possible approaches to land use.

Well, obviously it is a pipe dream. We don't really do big ideas anymore. But if the alternative is just to continue the current system of sharecropping on land owned by large mutli-national agri-industrial conglomerates in order to grow food for cows, who then turn that food into a gas that accelerates and exacerbates climate change, then I guess it doesn't hurt to fantasize a little about other possible approaches to land use.
I agree the current system is broken - but the way you are saying you - sounds like a mouthpiece for the New Green deal or something.

Nothing will change with the greed we have and the fact big food/chemical companies control the food supply and production of it - they've backed farmers into a corner - the govt plays along with it since they are all bought off.

I surprisingly saw a couple of nice sized broods of pheasant chicks while crop scouting today. Chicks were pretty good sized.

I went to bed last night and it looked like we were going to get some good moisture. It must have just fallen apart. It was right on the county line and looked like a nice storm and rain, and then woke up to nothing. I will be watering tree's today.

Same here. 20/100ths at the ranch. Not enough to do any good.

It sure was a light show though, and started some fires around Dighton. I was at the bar in Healy, and every fire truck in Lane County was headed that way.

Same here. 20/100ths at the ranch. Not enough to do any good.

It sure was a light show though, and started some fires around Dighton. I was at the bar in Healy, and every fire truck in Lane County was headed that way.
Your not far from me at all. I used to teach at Ransom and coached a lot games in Healy. Coached against Ron Baker several times in the Healy gym. Have you been to Scott lake yet? I fish Cedar Bluff about once a week.

it's just frustrating to see so much land turn arid and totally useless....dust bowl stuff.
I agree the current system is broken - but the way you are saying you - sounds like a mouthpiece for the New Green deal or something.

Nothing will change with the greed we have and the fact big food/chemical companies control the food supply and production of it - they've backed farmers into a corner - the govt plays along with it since they are all bought off.
land is being privatized in a big way, between Bill Gates and the Chinese, we are losing access everyday.
and that excludes the bad drought conditions as well. with historical drought conditions, any large scale climate plan is probably not viable.

Your not far from me at all. I used to teach at Ransom and coached a lot games in Healy. Coached against Ron Baker several times in the Healy gym. Have you been to Scott lake yet? I fish Cedar Bluff about once a week.
I have. Caught some nice channel cats there over the past few weekends!

Back