NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

Gotta love forecasters! 10% chance of rain last night and the gauge shows 2.2 inches! That ought to bring up the Japanese millet we finished planting yesterday! Unfortunately, it will also put off the marsh dike construction for a few weeks as well! Glad to have rain in July to counteract the high heat!

been watching the radar the past week or so.........looks like some places are getting rain?

Gotta love forecasters! 10% chance of rain last night and the gauge shows 2.2 inches! That ought to bring up the Japanese millet we finished planting yesterday! Unfortunately, it will also put off the marsh dike construction for a few weeks as well! Glad to have rain in July to counteract the high heat!

Good deal. We have some chances of rain at the Ponderosa this Thursday through Sunday.

I got two summer burns completed yesterday, let the rains come forth and cover the earth in green! Was great having NE winds in July!

I got two summer burns completed yesterday, let the rains come forth and cover the earth in green! Was great having NE winds in July!

I am going to try some summer burns in a couple weeks to try and control sereca lespedeza. Kstate did a study having some success doing that. It will be the first time for a summer burn for me.

I am going to try some summer burns in a couple weeks to try and control sereca lespedeza. Kstate did a study having some success doing that. It will be the first time for a summer burn for me.
I'm an agronomy student at K-State, and attended a rangeland management class where one of the lead professors researching the subject gave a presentation on the effectiveness of growing season burns for controlling sericea. They've done some pretty extensive research on it, and this definitely seems like the best way to eliminate sericea.

Fsntkilr, if you have any questions, give me a call! They are a lot more simple than spring burns. Flame heights are much lower. Spot overs are much rarer. Watch your humidity and burn with it over 35% and you will mainly have to worry about your help's health and heavy smoke.

Last edited:
The reality that sericea doesn't grow back with the same tannins that it had pre-burn allows cattle to put significant pressure on it. However, the next year it is right back to normal and the cattle will not pressure it much. I think that the summer burning will aid in control, but eradication is probably still not a reasonable goal. When you're dealing with a perennial that produces seed that lasts decades in the soil, there will come a time when it once again raises it's head for another assault! However, managing it as less than 5% is a lot better option than watching it climb continuously!

Had one of my seasonals spraying sericea all week this week. It's unfortunate that land managers have to spend so much time and money on invasive species. I could do so much more directed toward increasing production of wildlife and adding improvements if I didn't have to deal with invasive species. I lecture all our new hires to get things under control where they can as quick as they can. If we get a new piece of ground with a few invasives on it, I tell them to take care of those on their first day and they won't be a bigger problem once they see that they are spreading.

I'm an agronomy student at K-State, and attended a rangeland management class where one of the lead professors researching the subject gave a presentation on the effectiveness of growing season burns for controlling sericea. They've done some pretty extensive research on it, and this definitely seems like the best way to eliminate sericea.

My son will be a freshman majoring in agronomy at Kstate next semester.

I agree with you eradication wasn't the right word, suppression is what I should have used. Kstate did a four year study summer burning every year. It was way more successful than spraying. I spent countless days every year spraying our filter and quail strips. http://www.ksre.k-state.edu/news/stories/2017/07/summer-prescribed-burning.html

I wonder how far west that will be possible. You have to grow and leave residual cover in order to burn in consecutive years and that is not possible everywhere. Also, annual burns leave everything open during periods when many species need the cover. You also have to have a place to graze while that summer burn is getting enough top growth to support cattle. Much to balance with weather, and all other conditions. Add to that the fact that you're removing the overhead cover and exposing the soil to much more solar and wind desiccation, and keeping the grazing rate in balance will be a challenge. It is a great tool, but each manager will have to learn how they can use it on their land.

I wonder how far west that will be possible. You have to grow and leave residual cover in order to burn in consecutive years and that is not possible everywhere. Also, annual burns leave everything open during periods when many species need the cover. You also have to have a place to graze while that summer burn is getting enough top growth to support cattle. Much to balance with weather, and all other conditions. Add to that the fact that you're removing the overhead cover and exposing the soil to much more solar and wind desiccation, and keeping the grazing rate in balance will be a challenge. It is a great tool, but each manager will have to learn how they can use it on their land.

back to weather.......over the past few weeks the radar has looked pretty active over parts of Kansas.......i am sure not everyone is getting these gully washers, but how do things look out there in your neck of the woods?

After that history making drought last fall and winter, the moisture has been better. Good growth on the vegetation. I personally have not been able to spend much time on the ground at the Ponderosa to know about the hatches, but have seen some pheasant, quail and turkey hatches. I have not seen any lesser prairie chicken hatches, but have spent almost no time in the area where they would be. Lots of dove at the moment. Seeing some decent whitetail deer and some little mulie bucks. God has blessed.

After that history making drought last fall and winter, the moisture has been better. Good growth on the vegetation. I personally have not been able to spend much time on the ground at the Ponderosa to know about the hatches, but have seen some pheasant, quail and turkey hatches. I have not seen any lesser prairie chicken hatches, but have spent almost no time in the area where they would be. Lots of dove at the moment. Seeing some decent whitetail deer and some little mulie bucks. God has blessed.

great news, thanks for the update, hope all is well down on the ranch.

CRP grasses may be the tallest I have ever seen. Going to be tough seeing your dog.

I think the pheasant and quail numbers may be down a bit, but who knows with all the cover.

Wishing you all good hunts, fellowship and safety.

CRP grasses may be the tallest I have ever seen. Going to be tough seeing your dog.

I think the pheasant and quail numbers may be down a bit, but who knows with all the cover.

Wishing you all good hunts, fellowship and safety.

Cover was good here but now it is all laid down from the rain.

I find myself traveling through Dodge from time to time either on family vacations to the desert Southwest, Colorado, NM etc - or other places in KS --

Does MR Byrd visit the forums here anymore - hasn't been a post in this thread in over a year --

Found another thread that was started in 2012 which seems like yesterday of a banned member talking smack in a light hearted way on Dodge about it's curb appeal or lack of it. I'd much rather live in Dodge than the Topeka area where I'm at right now. Less crime and WAY cleaner town with more curb appeal than Topeka. Dodge and Garden City have come quite a ways since the mid 00's when I first lived out that way for a couple years and traveled to these various places. Topeka is likely NE KS armpit -- hate to say it - hope it changes in 5-10 years but not so certain.

When I lived in Garden 04-05 the co-workers would joke Garden was SW Ks armpit - but I think they are a long way from that and such a better cleaner place to live. (Minus the smell depending on the wind...haha)

Back