NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

What do the crops look like out west? Corn is starting to be chopped through here because it's toast, this last little rain may save some beans but we need more for sure.
I was wondering the same thing. Like does the milo still have a chance? Or can irrigation keep up on irrigated corn? What about June planted dry land corn, is it planted for silage?

I was wondering the same thing. Like does the milo still have a chance? Or can irrigation keep up on irrigated corn? What about June planted dry land corn, is it planted for silage?
Milo is still alive, but yields will be low. Irrigated corn will still make alright, but yields will be below average due to the intense wind and heat. Dry land corn is pretty well shot. A lot of it probably won’t even have enough biomass to be worth chopping for silage.

The forecasted flash flooding from the monsoon didn't happen. Had 1.05" + the 0.25" = 1.30". No moisture forecast in the ten day forecast.

I farmed all week and didn't see much wildlife
two lone hens
a pair of quail
a covey of 12
good number of dove
good number of meadowlarks
several redtails following me
And the first fawn of the year showed up on game camera

pretty bleak

Had a few days of high winds and blowing dust with zero visibility in places. Then a chance of rain. Got some sprinkles, but that was all.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-25 134351.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-25 134351.png
    545.4 KB · Views: 10
Bad news to report on the rain dance. I am absolutely desperate and had an old timer tell me to dance naked around a prickly pear, five times to the right, five times to the left. I know that no one can see me, so what the heck. I was doing a respectable job, when I went to turn to the left, wrenched my back, lost my balance, fell backwards onto the prickly pear, filled my left butt cheek with twenty-three spines, trip to the ER and 746 dollars later I was leaving. All the laughs from the ER staff, plus everyone else on staff that had to come to see, priceless for them. Daily trips to the chiroprator for the wrenched lower back and he even thinks it to be amusing.

I did have a pretty good proposal from a good looking nurse to take over my dancing, but how would that look in a small community if the word got out that Maynard had naked dancing girls up in the canyons.

Any other bright ideas?
Now it is 2022, please come out of hibernation and do it again🤡

Back