NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

Dry in Garden City, Kansas. This was on facebook a few days ago. 2.04" since January 1st

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-25 211218.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-25 211218.png
    447.5 KB · Views: 11
I find it interesting that most of us outdoorsman do believe in climate change because no matter what party we belong to we are much more aware of our environment than most. The realization slowly came to me long ago by way of three main things. 1st was my dad (born 1912) telling me that when he was young there was 6 feet of water under a certain bridge over a creek near us. Then another old timer told me when he was young, they caught catfish from the creek that I live very near now. Now it goes dry almost every year now. Then I read about the dust bowl and what caused it. Those were some big changes in one generation! We are drying up. Some say it's us, some say it's natural. I believe it's both.

Climate has changed from day 1 and continues to change and will always change.
Yup, when I was in high school, I was into arrowhead hunting. The guy I hunted with would seek out these rises in the river bottoms to find them. I had presumed that river and creek bottoms were created by flooding. Then he told me that the bottoms were actually where the river was a few thousand years ago. Wow we think the Mississippi is wide now!!

Climate has changed from day 1 and continues to change and will always change.
Your right and there is no debating that at all. The debate comes when the discussion comes to what effect we have as humans on that change. Both sides of it make me shake my head. You have to allow business to operate at a profit or there is no incentive to be in business. On the other hand most will not regulate themselves. Look what corporate farming has done to the landscape. This certainly is not helping

7/26/2022 Latest weather outlook.
View attachment 3621
Wow. I used to say, only half-joking, that Wichita was going to get it's average rainfall, or close to it, nearly every year. The only question was whether it all came in two, one-week periods, or whether it came spread out over the course of the year. This year I think I'll be thankful for every drop of that rain.

On a related note, a cattle guy I know out near our ground called me yesterday morning to ask about some pasture that we don't normally graze. We manage it for pheasants, so the only grazing we've done is an attempt to reduce the cheat grass. This is the guy who's provided the cattle for that effort. Anyway, he told me that everyone in the area is working the phones to find CRP or any grass for their cattle. He was a little surprised that no one had called me yet. We'll help him out, but hopefully this rain will come as predicted and only a little of it will be necessary.

I find it interesting that most of us outdoorsman do believe in climate change because no matter what party we belong to we are much more aware of our environment than most. The realization slowly came to me long ago by way of three main things. 1st was my dad (born 1912) telling me that when he was young there was 6 feet of water under a certain bridge over a creek near us. Then another old timer told me when he was young, they caught catfish from the creek that I live very near now. Now it goes dry almost every year now. Then I read about the dust bowl and what caused it. Those were some big changes in one generation! We are drying up. Some say it's us, some say it's natural. I believe it's both.

There is too many variables for us to all comprehend it - yet others tell us cows farting, burning your fireplace etc are causing "Global" warming and they should tax us.

We look at things only our small human brains can comprehend in small increments of time such as a year, decade, or our lifetime - our lifetime and even going back a generation or two is a mere fly speck in the grand scheme of things. We need to take a Macro view of the climate and not the micro view we all take. We can't even accurately predict the weather 2-3 days out, much less a week, have little understanding of how the Sun's activity may or may not affect the climate - have amnesia regarding the fact we've wiped out the majority of the grasslands and plants that once populated much of N America and the fact that mother nature operates in a symbiotic relationship and how removing certain plants and destroying biomes could even affect the climate etc etc.

God forbid we leave out that 10-15k or even 60k years ago depending on what school of thought you subscribe to that the Sphinx and the region around it was likely a very temperate place with lots of rain much less all the dry lake beds in the west (groom lake)

It really is all just a bunch of BS -- we know there are changes happening - but we have little explanation for it -- we can hypothesize but that is all we can do.

What we can control is what Big Ag has done via policy changes and buying off politicians. Unfortunately we've all let it happen and future generations will be paying for the rape that has and continues to happen.

I hypothesize the depletion of the Ogallalah will be what rears it's ugly head in our lifetimes - (I'm 42 -- it already kind of is) and surprisingly whatever is going on in Nevada, AZ, Utah, CA -- CA can fall off the face of the planet even though it'd be bad for our economy but the rape of the environment is on full display there as well. Too many examples to list of us all taking full advantage and being short sighted. Not one of us can do anything about it - Only when it affects pocketbooks of the fat cats or things such as the dust storms that happened in the dust bowl days are so bad that they affect people on the coasts will anything of any measurable magnitude be implemented. That's my .02 for what it's worth which isn't much. It doesnt bode well that pieces of dirt such as Bill Gates are buying up large swaths of farmland, foreign entities, hedge funds, basically people far removed from the land are controlling more and more of it as they run locals and small people out of business. The cycle we are in is not a good one and we can all see the writing on the wall - whether we acknowledge it or not is the question.

yes, fly over country controls little of what takes place out there, the rich and powerful pols make policy and it is unlikely to change.

I hope you get most of the prediction they have given there. 2.04" ytd....that sounds like desert climate for sure! Sioux City shows they have received 6.8" ytd, avg should be at 13.16"....and we were dry coming into this year.....maybe not dry like Byrd, TX and OK. It is just a small pocket here, not large parts of the state like you fellas are experiencing. Hope it pours on you all!

We got only a light shower last night. Didn't even get the ground wet under the tree's. Looked like only a few miles south that there might have been more rain.

We got the same rain as you did wkbh. Betweeen that and 2 tenths is about what we get, when we get a rain this year.

A quarter of an inch here at the Ponderosa. Hope it is enough to prime the pump. Come on rain.

Back