NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

I am still kicking just don’t get on the computer much and I find the forum a little difficult for these old fat fingers to navigate on my “smart” phone. Did not get your PM since the mailbox was full. I have it cleaned out so try again.

Great to hear from you Maynard! Hope you are well! Only .06 at the Byron Walker last night. We seem to be in the hole! I have goslings, but haven't seen poults yet.

We were pretty concerned down here in Oklahoma after the record cold snap we had in February. Have several reports of coveys and males out whistling this spring. Having said that, I did not hear much at daylight during turkey season and I usually do. Think they pulled through alright. We've been damp and cool down here this spring.

Pretty interesting to go back and scroll through the early posts on this. Walk back through history a bit.. to think when you started this in 2011 that 2012 would be as bad or even worse. Lot of ups and downs in a decade.

I came to Kansas for my first out of state trip back in 2012. I didn’t know to follow weather all year then and resulted in a slow first trip. Somehow even without many bird flushed at all, I was lured back, and now come back every year at least once. It is a great opportunity to go somewhere like Kansas and have room to run around a little. That drought and the recovery years that followed was amazing to see how birds respond to improved habitat and conditions.

Hi Maynard - hopefully you dont wait 2 yrs again before coming back...:D

In NE KS we are super wet as usual -- i'm tired of the rain - but the pleasant spring for the most part has been extremely nice - I dont recall in years a spring being this decent and drawn out - I may have jinxed us and next week or once Memorial day hits it will be 95 with 75% humidity. Ha.

Last night did see a turkey out in the field of the property we are buying and as my 7 yo son said - Dad why didnt you have the binos with us -- there was a coyote or or something else stalking the turkey -- they were in a stare down contest or so it looked from 500-600 yards away as I think initially the turkey was strutting - then realized it was being watched and figured I'd better get the hell out of here and went back in the trees -- I dont even know if it was a coyote - dare I say something tawny and yellowish brown as I saw a long tail and it moved different than a coyote... I didnt go over and look for tracks like I should have - the habitat is perfect for them and one was hit on the highway not too many years ago close by. Need to install some trail cameras. Either way was cool to see a predator stalking the turkey. After the turkey vanished the animal slinked over to the edge of the trees and was hanging out there - didnt leave until we drove our atv's into the edge of the field from the road.

Not looking good at the Ponderosa, shown here in the red. I am not seeing chicks of any kind and zero fawns with the doe. Today could be another record high(some forecasters saying possible 111). Already have seen 109. The ground is like concrete. The grass is brittle and breaks under your footsteps. All creatures great and small are suffering. Lord, grant us relief. Amen

Maynard

Screenshot 2022-07-19 110825.jpg

It's the same this far east. Locust trees look to be dying (good thing), Johnsongrass looks almost dead (another good thing), and I am having to reconsider starting my summer burns that I had planned on starting this week! I haven't seen one brood to date, not even turkey.

I’m a crop scouting intern in far Western Kansas for the summer, and I cover a tremendous amount of country over 5 counties every week. The situation is ugly out here. This is becoming just as bad of a drought as 2012. High winds, daily 100+ temps, and no rain of any significance for a long time.

The dryland (non-irrigated) corn is burning up. The milo is barely growing, and is just hanging on. The pastures are brown, and the grass is not growing. The farm I’m working for also has a 9,000 acre cattle ranch, and tomorrow we’re shipping out the last of 1,500 head. They would normally all be out here for at least another month. This is undoubtedly the worst drought that western Kansas has seen in a long time.

That said, I’m still seeing pheasants, including a few broods. This area had a good carryover of adult birds from the last couple of years. The conditions are certainly taking their toll on everything, though. Crops, pastures, livestock, and the critters. If we don’t get some rain soon (and it doesn’t look like we will) things will only continue to get worse.

I just happen to be in that little red area in NW Iowa, lucky me. Some fields still look decent, a few of the later planted ones look tough. We will get rain, just hope it is before next spring. Guessing this will be another season of harvesting a lot of long spurred roosters for me locally.

That drought monitor map has really gotten worse over the past several weeks. It was already bad in the western half of the country by June, but now large portions of the eastern half are drying up too. Coupled with extreme heat across a large portion of the country and its obvious to see how its happening. Not good at all.

To me the state that really sticks out is North Dakota. Last year virtually the entire state was red with drought. It has taken a complete 180 in less than a year.

Back