NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

It has arrived in Dodge. Planted more food plots today. See what happens. Moisture has been a blessing this year. PTL.

WUNIDS_map_zps81b0994e.gif

Looks to be another round tonight. Maybe a little heavier!!! Making up for lost time I guess. :thumbsup:

Looks to be another round tonight. Maybe a little heavier!!! Making up for lost time I guess. :thumbsup:

Looks to be here soon if it doesn't break up.

The moisture this year helps get more like these I saw today.

IMG_2607_zpsd19da0ac.jpg

Maynard, all that out of one lonely male:) Nice group. I count 21. Sounds like a communal gathering. Got any skeeters???

Maynard, all that out of one lonely male:) Nice group. I count 21. Sounds like a communal gathering. Got any skeeters???

I told him, "Go forth and be fruitful" . That is my usual blessing of the critters, well some critters. Not the skeeters. Really the skeeters have not been that bad.

I am really pleased to see how the quail have responded to the moisture and all it brings.

0.50" here, PTL.

Took a little drive around today and the prairie continues to flourish.

The partridge pea has taken off this year. This seed came from Prairie Drifter a few years ago.

IMG_2609_zps7956b848.jpg

IMG_2610_zps84965dfa.jpg

Soft mast is doing well.

IMG_2615_zps840d1903.jpg

Plum in foreground and cotoneaster in the background.

IMG_2616_zps92b9f99b.jpg

Maximilian sunflower has yet to bloom and Illinois bundleflower in the background is loaded with seed.

IMG_2618_zpsbe1cf64f.jpg

We only received .13 last night. Didn't really need more than that. I'm needing to get ground worked and the lake down some so I can place rip rap. Not a good time for a flood at work. I'm getting tired of the mower running as well. Give me a few weeks then fill the marshes for teal season. That'll about set the stage for September. I also wanted to spray some cattails without wading before the marshes fill. That'll let me use Roundup instead of Rodeo and save some $. Glad the Partridge Pea has filled a niche on the Ponderosa! I need to get some plums picked!!!

0.50" here, PTL.

Took a little drive around today and the prairie continues to flourish.

The partridge pea has taken off this year. This seed came from Prairie Drifter a few years ago.

IMG_2609_zps7956b848.jpg

IMG_2610_zps84965dfa.jpg

Soft mast is doing well.

IMG_2615_zps840d1903.jpg

Plum in foreground and cotoneaster in the background.

IMG_2616_zps92b9f99b.jpg

Maximilian sunflower has yet to bloom and Illinois bundleflower in the background is loaded with seed.

IMG_2618_zpsbe1cf64f.jpg

can't imagine that you are pounding those wonderful looking plums into pemmican, what do ya do with em'. wonderful to eat, jelly, never tried nor have I ever had enough of them to try wine

cheers

We love the jelly. Back in the day, I kept the seeds and mash after pulling off the juice and it was absolutely deadly on raccoons in November/December. Mix in some glycerin and sodium benzoate and store it in the cellar in 5 gallon buckets! But I digress!

Some years a late freeze takes out the plums, or during the last four, it has been drought. Usually family and friends come for Labor Day and we dove hunt, sight in rifles and muzzleloaders, shoot clays, shoot the bull, eat and eat, then the ladies will pick plums for jelly. The jelly is so good. Our good friend makes the best jelly. Put some butter on a hot biscuit then some of this jelly, oh, so good.

In the past I have done my fried apples for breakfast. These are nice and syrupy and we ladle the apples over a hot biscuit like you would biscuits and gravy. A little thick sliced bacon on the side. Now that is a good breakfast.

This year with September 1st being on Monday it really messes up the plans. Wish the feds would let the states open dove on the Saturday of Labor Day. Three days of shooting those flighty devils is nice.

We love the jelly. Back in the day, I kept the seeds and mash after pulling off the juice and it was absolutely deadly on raccoons in November/December. Mix in some glycerin and sodium benzoate and store it in the cellar in 5 gallon buckets! But I digress!

Now that sounds like fun.

Hey, I need some cattails. I saw the "Scratch and Sniff" article in the May/June 2014 "Kansas Wildlife & Parks" magazine. It has been years since I have made any punch bait. I think I remember, but never used cattails like Marc Murrell mentioned. I had hoped to take all the grandkids after Mr. Whiskers this year, but didn't get it worked in to everybody's busy schedule.

Drifter,

How would that mash work for the deer??? A few years ago I picked up a bunch of pears and would put them out for the deer by our stands. One batch got hidden in the black trash bag and when I found them they were really fermented. I took that batch to one stand and put them in front of a trail camera. A single doe stood there for over a hour. I kept thinking in the next frame I would see her pass out drunk, but never did.

If you'll take the entire plant, I'll give you a semi load:) Yeah, sounded like a good way to make not only fish bait, but trapping bait as well! I've always wanted to trap down here like I did years back up north. There are probably 10X the raccoons here as there were there. I'd like to know what kind of numbers a guy could generate with the kind of permission and effort I made at 27. Now, at nearly 2 x 27, I ought to be twice as good:)

I had some cattails show up in my stock tank at the headquarters last year. I pulled them out when I cleaned out the tank. I really don't need a truck load of them.

I need to thin out the coons and coyotes around here. I keep hoping to one day take a really nice bobcat to mount.

Back