NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

You actually can mix those fillets into our Texas BBQ down here. Mighty good eating! Give me a big Texas Hee Haw :p

Last edited:
skeeters

while you guys were swatting the bugs, I was having the time of my life in the high country on horseback checking out a really neat elk area, saw far more moose than elk though, two bulls that will surely be shooters for someone this fall, kinda neat watching them, the cow moose didn't much care for our horses though.

cheers

Speaking of bugs, rain = weeds = bugs.

Here is a scissortail with a mouth full.

IMG_2405_zps13303429.jpg

while you guys were swatting the bugs, I was having the time of my life in the high country on horseback checking out a really neat elk area, saw far more moose than elk though, two bulls that will surely be shooters for someone this fall, kinda neat watching them, the cow moose didn't much care for our horses though.

cheers

Sounds like my kind of a day. I would surely love to do a horseback hunt for elk one day and a moose hunt in Alaska.:thumbsup:

Sounds like my kind of a day. I would surely love to do a horseback hunt for elk one day and a moose hunt in Alaska.:thumbsup:

if we ever meet up someday, I can tell you elk stories and the fun we had doing it especially when the horses were involved, I have take an awful lot of elk in my life so plenty of stories.

cheers

I see a wee bit of rain on the radar out that way today.

A little sprinkle and a nice cool down coming. Things were getting really dry. The tremendous growth the pastures and the weeds enjoyed in June are now paying the price by lack of rain. Every day the pastures were getting grayer and grayer and the big pigweeds that I needed to spray were wilting and hardened off.

Yesterday was a hot one. It was the kickoff of the annual Dodge City Days. My wife and I did take time to attend the BBQ in the park at noon. We didn't make it to the parade yesterday morning, which this year had plenty of politicians.(oh darn it, I missed them:) )

Looks like some moisture moving into the Ponderosa shortly. Hope Maynard doesn't do that one rain dance to scare the storm away. I will be out in the Fall to inspect the jungle and get a bite with him in DC again.

July has been dry. There was about three days of cool weather earlier. Had 0.50" on the 16th, then drizzle all day on the 17th that amounted to 0.30". Only 0.80" but that got us through. The weather forecast is for flash flooding, so will see soon. I planted turnips today.

Really nice rain here today. Flash flood watch remains. Flash warning in the Tribune area.

I planted turnips, radishes and sugar beets yesterday ahead of the forecasted rain. We haven't taken a deer on the place for the last three years and I am hoping we can this year. The last few years have really left me with almost zero deer, but I am seeing some this year. The elk haven't been seen at the Ponderosa for a few years and would still love to take a Kansas elk at the Ponderosa.

This year the hunting will be dove, deer and coyotes.

July has been dry. There was about three days of cool weather earlier. Had 0.50" on the 16th, then drizzle all day on the 17th that amounted to 0.30". Only 0.80" but that got us through. The weather forecast is for flash flooding, so will see soon. I planted turnips today.

years ago I shot a lot of pheasants in sugar beets, never tried a turnip patch though, probably should have

cheers

Bleu,

Neigbor has an inch so far and still raining. Water running down the ditches at his place. Really thankful for the rain. All the June growth was suffering with the lack of rain in July. It remains green at the Ponderosa and the critters are doing well.

Beautiful day here in the 60's and raining. I missed the big rain yesterday afternoon by a hair. Some places 2 miles away got 3-5 inches. We got rain and again it rained from about midnight and is still raining. Nothing hard at the moment. Nice refreshing rain and cooler temps are a blessing in late July. Glad you are getting some as well and it is not 105 out there!!:cheers:

Eads, colorado got 6.21" yesterday in a short time!

Last edited:
Ended up with 1.40". PTL! Nice slow rain and little runoff. Sloppy and that is good. Now a little heat and my turnips should be on their way to a big buck's tummy.

Ended up with 1.40". PTL! Nice slow rain and little runoff. Sloppy and that is good. Now a little heat and my turnips should be on their way to a big buck's tummy.

Great timing with your planting! I'm going to try a Fall turnip plot underneath my buddy stand as well. Hopefully if I get it in this weekend I'll get lucky and bring some rain to my little place.
:cheers:

Great timing with your planting! I'm going to try a Fall turnip plot underneath my buddy stand as well. Hopefully if I get it in this weekend I'll get lucky and bring some rain to my little place.
:cheers:

The rain forecast this year have been fairly close so I worked late getting those plots in and hopefully it will pay off. I had another plot at the other end of the Ponderosa that I wanted to get in, but ran out of daylight. I hope you get your plots in. Oh, how I wish I had a little piece of those Kansas flint hills. You are in God's country, you know.

Back