NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

My wife just walked by and asked how much rain at the Ponderosa in the last thirty days.

Answer: 10.45"

A sixteen foot tripod stand I hunt from.

Maynard ,thanks for all the pic's. I was wondering if you had any of your pasture ground after the rain? Maybe a before and after shot!!

Just be careful Maynard and "Don't flush it" while you're hunting from it this fall!

That reminds me of my teenage years when a group of us skinny dipped in the Arkansas River. There were five brothers that you never wanted to be down stream from.(insert sound track from Jaws).

Does the Arkansas flow through your place?

I am so happy for y'all out there Maynard. :thumbsup: Lets hope Gray county has been getting some moisture as well.

Greg

Bring on the ducks. It has been a long time since I have hunted waterfowl around Dodge. It has been that the only water around here for waterfowl were sewer lagoons, feedlot lagoons and packing plant lagoons. Are they what they eat?

Actually there are playas showing up that my late brother and I hunted in the 60's. A very pleasant sight.

When we get together, please remind me not to accept any waterfowl from you! LOL! Maynard I am so glad to see things getting better for you and your critters! Bring on the broods now!

When we get together, please remind me not to accept any waterfowl from you! LOL! Maynard I am so glad to see things getting better for you and your critters! Bring on the broods now!

Bill, I am sure we will hit those waterfowl production areas again, YES, you and the Mrs. may keep all the ducks this year. I sure (DID) do like you Bill. hee hee :)

I finally have the answer why I do not hunt, shoot or eat these critters anymore!:cheers:

Chris, I must have offered to give pheasants to landowners over twenty times during the past few years and nobody takes me up on the offer. Now I know why :)

However, I have NEVER been turned down when giving cash or a gift card.

Interesting what developed in my tree row. There are two depressions that you would swear were where a trench had been and then settled with the water, but no trenching has been done.

Here is the north one-
IMG_0811_zps316eb4c7.jpg
[/URL]

And the south one-
IMG_0813_zps731f5e71.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0814_zpsaf4b769e.jpg
[/URL]

I have a theory and I have talked to a soil technician and he thinks I am correct. Any one want to offer a thought.

This tree row was planted on my flood irrigated ground in 2000. Being flood irrigated means the land is level across the field. There is a drainage adjacent and during the flooding this tree row might have had a few inches of water standing on it for maybe a few hours then the water went down. The water from the flooding actually backed up the drainage from another drainage, so there was not a current flowing across the tree row.

Last edited:
Back