New Dodge Diesel

Madison COunty

I am thinking about getting a new 2012 Dodge 2500 diesel and was wondering if anybody here has one and has anything good of bad to say about them? I drove one a couple weeks ago and really liked it. If i buy one I will wait until we start working again in the spring.

Right now I have a ford 2003 f250 diesel with the 6.0 and it has 260,000 miles on it. I bought it with 30,000 miles on it. It has been a good truck but the last couple years we have put crazy money into it for repairs. I think it might be time to get a new one!

The best truck to own, is one that is already paid for.

I have a 1993 model and it's still going strong for me. I've heard a lot of good things about the new ones from people that have them.Mine is a 250 4x4.

The best truck to own, is one that is already paid for.

I agree, I agree! I have already put 10-12K into repairs this year. Last year was a new transmission for around 4-5k plus another 3-4K last year on top of that. Now there is a problem with the turbo ( cost $2,000 ) Needs a 4WD hub ($500). There is a point when you have to say enough is enough and get somthing else. For all of the money we have put into it I could have put a nice down payment on a new one.

The new dodge has a 100,000 mile or 5 year warranty. I think it is a sweet deal. On the other hand boy do I hate payments!!!!!! I have a $900 payment on my other truck and a new dodge might be around maybe $800 or so. Ouch:eek:

I have had two Fords and a Dodge diesel. The Cummins is hands down the best motor in a pickup truck. I live in South Dakota half the year and travel from Minnesota west. My son even commented that we seen far more Dodges pulling cattle then any other brand of diesel truck. I read they had the new ones up in Prudue Bay Alaska and they were starting all the way down to -40 without being plugged in. I have a friend who sell's ambulances and they were having trouble getting the new Fords. They are having problems with the new Ford built diesel. they were having trouble with extended periods of idling. Dumb move on Fords part to stop using IH as a engine builder. Greed on their part and it just may cost them in the long run.

As far as the drive line, Borg Warner makes all of them pretty much now. At least for transfer case, front and rear ends.

My Dodge has been the best truck I have ever owned, over 300,000 and still starts at -20 without being plugged in and runs like a champ!!

Last edited:
Ford keeps changing the motor every year and dodge has stayed the same. Also ford you have to add urea every other oil change for the new omissions lawa and the dodge you dont.

I pull 15,000 pounds ( 7 1/2 tons ) all the time and I think I would like the power of the new dodge better than my ford. My neighbor bought one last year and he loves it.

i am a hard core ford fan! i currently have a 99 f350 c/c 4+4 7.3 dsl dually. i have made some upgrades 4in exhaust,kn air filter and edge evolution programmer. yes the cummins is a good motor. the only problem is it's in a dodge! thats like putting chrome on a pile of dog crap:D! i still wouldn't want it:rolleyes:.

The blue oval

I was a Ford guy, people keep telling me the problem with my truck is the blue oval on the front. I have the 6.0 motor and should have bought a truck with the 7.3

I have a bigger exaust and one of thoes fancy air filters and i dont think they help my truck out. I did not chip my truck.:mad:

Ford has been putting cummins in some of their trucks.I've seen them around where I live.I think it's a special order type deal because not all of them have it.

Duramax/ Allison will out haul both of them plus even Ford and dodge guys have to admit chevys look the best.:D

i do enjoy stirring the dsl trk pot:D. i do like that ford was able to stand alone w/o a bailout during the down turn.

Found on road dead

i do enjoy stirring the dsl trk pot:D. i do like that ford was able to stand alone w/o a bailout during the down turn.[/QUOTE

That is because guys like me are spending 10-12K per year buying parts and paying for repairs tokeep our trucks on the road. 10-12K was just for one truck for one year. :p

A friend had his driveshaft come apart on his ford 350 4x4 dually in Florida.He took it to the ford dealership that he was close to down there and they wanted $10,000 to fix the damage that was done to the tranny, transfer case and misc. parts to put everything back together. He had it hauled back and had it fixed not far from home for less than half the quoted price of the dealership.

Madison, if you pull 15K alot you will like the performance of the Dodges. I had a 2004 and 4 other dodges before that. 1 was a diesel + the 2004.

I thik the 2004 was rated for 600 foot lbs of torque and I knew guys that pulled 25-30K with it on a regular basis.

I have heard Frod is best riding truck but if pulling and overall engine performace is important I don't know how you could beat a Dodge with the Cummins. The lodger the truck the better it will ride.

I Had 77 fords and now have a 2000 F350 with 207000 miles I use at the farm. It has a chip in it and works just fine and it is paid for.

My 2004 Dodge never needed a chip and I woulnd't think the new ones would either. Great fuel economy for diesle truck in the dodges.

UGUIDE,

What kind of HWY mileage did you get with your 2004 dodge. With my ford I am only getting 13.5 down the interstate with just the truck. When I am pulling I get somewhere aroung 10 MPG.

Trying to keep this Ford as long as I can, it is paid for and is a good running truck when i am not repairing it. I just dont want it to crap out on me and then i wont be able to trade it in without sinking alot of money into it to get it running right.

madison co. thanks for buying all those parts:thumbsup:. i must agree all the ford dsls scare me after the 7.3. i have been looking into getting a truck with a bad 6.0 and putting a 7.3 in it.

i have 4 of them 2003,2006, 2008 and a 2011.
2 of them are work trucks and pull bobcats and mini excavators all the time:cheers: and are still running great. one has 280K miles and other than a trany rebuild still kicking..

I ran a 98 24v and have nothing but great thing to say about a Cummins.
The 6.7 is a direct rail injection. A plus to me.
The 2011 6.7 does not require DEF fluid. Another plus to me.
Go with a manual transmission IMHO only because to.
A manual will allow you to control your engine better in those instance where you will want to control the torque.

picture.php

Enough Said!

On my '93 I'm still getting 18 mpg empty and 16 loaded.I have sideboards on mine that are tall enough that I can get a full plus half another of firewood on it then I'll borrow a 14' trailer and another 4-5 cord on it and go down the at 55 mph with no problems.

Back