New Dodge Diesel

madison co. thanks for buying all those parts:thumbsup:. i must agree all the ford dsls scare me after the 7.3. i have been looking into getting a truck with a bad 6.0 and putting a 7.3 in it.

spend $5k rebuilding the 6.0 engine and you'll have one he!! of a truck; it'll be a bunch easier than trying to fit a 7.3

have heard good and bad about the new Dodge; friend has 2011 3500 engine/transmission have been :thumbsup:; front end (steering/suspension) has been problematic and is not covered under warranty :confused:

UGUIDE,

What kind of HWY mileage did you get with your 2004 dodge. With my ford I am only getting 13.5 down the interstate with just the truck. When I am pulling I get somewhere aroung 10 MPG.

Trying to keep this Ford as long as I can, it is paid for and is a good running truck when i am not repairing it. I just dont want it to crap out on me and then i wont be able to trade it in without sinking alot of money into it to get it running right.

Madison, with any diesel I have found it depends greatly on how you drive it. Same thing with my VW Jetta TDI. I can get over 50 at 60MPH but crank up to 80 and I am in the high 30's.

With the '04 you could get around 22 at 60MPH and at 80MPH probably closer to 17. Hope that helps.

Wind and weight are other factors and so pulling could be anywhere's from 9-17.

If you want a good diesel truck w/o ponying-up for a big payment, find a low miles Ford with the old reliable 7.3.Ford went way backwards when they went to the 6.0.Lots of issues w the variable vane turbo etc.That old Intersmashable motor can't be hurt unless you overheat it,or run it out of oil.

I know a guy who has 375,000 on his North Slope oilfield service rig.He has had to do the ball joints,stabilizer,pittman,idler etc a few times,but he has to beat it mercilessly,and that stuff is easy.

I have a 99 Chev w/6.5 and it's given great service but it's not a real powerhouse.Besides I'll never buy another Chevy.It wasn't my fault the corporate pirates at GM were too stupid to manage their business in a sustainable manner.But we had to pay for their stupidity anyway,partially due to all the union stoolies in the Presidents inner circle.You gotta give the big blue oval a tip of the cap over GM and Chrysler on that one.

UGUIDE,

What kind of HWY mileage did you get with your 2004 dodge. With my ford I am only getting 13.5 down the interstate with just the truck. When I am pulling I get somewhere aroung 10 MPG.

Trying to keep this Ford as long as I can, it is paid for and is a good running truck when i am not repairing it. I just dont want it to crap out on me and then i wont be able to trade it in without sinking alot of money into it to get it running right.

2004 dodge 3500 gets 19 mpg loaded on the highway. Gets 12.9 In the city. I also have a 2004 5.7 gasoline 3500 that gets the same. current price of gas is 3.24 vs 3.95 for diesel you do the math. The only repair on both has been Brakes and Tires.

okie

picture.php

Enough Said!

okie, the center of that bow tie is just where you shoot em to put them down :laugh:. madison co did you make the plunge and get another truck? :cheers:

I looked for 2 years for a 2006 or 2007 Dodge 2500 or 3500 with the 5.9, auto trany, no electric windows or seats, quad cab, 8 ft bed and LOW miles. I found one in Oregon with 19000 something on the odo. I cannot be happier.

Drove it to Alaska right after I bought in November (I was still living there) then have driven to Yooperland once with it and then back again to Alaska and back here to Eastern Washington. So far the truck is everything I expected. Bought a used 1994 Northern Lites 9.6 camper for it and it hauls it around like that is nothing there.
Never owned a diesel before but I knew I wanted a Cummins from the experiences I had with diesels when driving for United Pipe and Supply.

I have a friend that is a service manage for Dodge and his opinion on the 06-07 5.9 liter Cummins was very high, in fact even though he gets a real nice discount on a new truck he is looking for a 07 5.9 with low miles but he wants it loaded up with all kinds of stuff I find not to my liking when I return to Alaska. My motto is less crap less to go wrong.

Back