New 16 Gauge Help!

This is a beauty!!http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=331607019
Citori Heritage 16 gauge, wish I had 5 G's!!

pix972214735_zpsed125245.jpg

pix681947439_zps9927c0ab.jpg

pix201000092_zps25f67724.jpg

Last edited:
Just bought a case of 1 oz loads at the local Fleet farm (man's mall) Little spendy but at least I have a case to shoot through it now. Also found a few boxes at Walmart of all places. Any othes suggestions from you 16 guage shooters? I am looking to start the sporting clays season out with the 16 anything I need to know about leads etc in shooting tis versus a 12?

When it comes to leads you won't notice any difference than your 12 ga. Velocity is about the same. At least with low base loads.

I can buy Remington 1 oz loads at the local Dunham's store for $7.00 a box. I can also usually find 16 ga. shells at Runnings. Never have found any 16's at Wally World but I know others have.

I have a two barreled Ithaca 37 16ga set. It has a Trap barrel and a field barrel. Only the second one I have ever seen. The other being a very early gun. Mine is a later gun made just prior to Ohio production. It has a very neat high rib on the trap barrel. The bad news, I shot it for Trap part of the year and I didn't shoot it quit as well as one of my 12's. I can get Federal game load's at L&M Supply in Grand Rapids for $7.99 a box.

Here's a few pics of my sweet heart 37

I have a two barreled Ithaca 37 16ga set. It has a Trap barrel and a field barrel. Only the second one I have ever seen. The other being a very early gun. Mine is a later gun made just prior to Ohio production. It has a very neat high rib on the trap barrel. The bad news, I shot it for Trap part of the year and I didn't shoot it quit as well as one of my 12's. I can get Federal game load's at L&M Supply in Grand Rapids for $7.99 a box.

Here's a few pics of my sweet heart 37

On Point, nice looking Ithaca. Nice wood on the stock. I am not expecting to shoot it as well as my 12 guage at sporting clays because of some longer crossing shots, but I want to practice with it a little and see if I can out shoot some of the guys with 12's. At least I would have an excuse to be the worst shooter!

BTW On Point do you live in Northern Minnesota? I grew up in Keewatin!

On Point, nice looking Ithaca. Nice wood on the stock. I am not expecting to shoot it as well as my 12 guage at sporting clays because of some longer crossing shots, but I want to practice with it a little and see if I can out shoot some of the guys with 12's. At least I would have an excuse to be the worst shooter!

BTW On Point do you live in Northern Minnesota? I grew up in Keewatin!

Hop skip and a jump from me.

B&P will be getting a shipment in soon, they have the best 16b ammo that I have found and they ship it free!!!!:10sign:

Yes you can. My friend and I both have shot them without issue. He hunts with his, a pristine M-12 with a 25" barrel choked IC and a Simmons rib. I have only shot mine at clays but they function perfectly and both have the 2 9/16" chambers.

AM

shells

another vote for B&P, just keep an eye out at when you are at small gunshops and the like, when you see some for a good price snatch em up, If you need a big shell the Fiochi GP are great

I found and bought about 40 boxes of various 16 ga. shells at an estate auction. Got them all for $5/box. been picking up Kent TM here and there when I find it. Up to about 15 boxes of it. Set for awhle, but keep my eyes open. Pick it up when you see them at a good price.Heck i was in Wally world in some place, Ks. and scored a bunch there as well.

I found and bought about 40 boxes of various 16 ga. shells at an estate auction. Got them all for $5/box. been picking up Kent TM here and there when I find it. Up to about 15 boxes of it. Set for awhle, but keep my eyes open. Pick it up when you see them at a good price.Heck i was in Wally world in some place, Ks. and scored a bunch there as well.

What are you having to pay for the Kent TM? Are the TM's you are buying the 1 1/16 oz. loads? I bought a case of the 16 ga. Kent TM a few years ago when they were closing out the 1 1/4 oz. #5 loads. I still have 16 boxes but I have to admit I'm not impressed with their performance. The 1 1/4 oz. loads I have are 1,265 fps. The new loads are 1 1/16 oz. loads are 1,315 fps. I should pick up a box and pattern them to see how much difference there is.

DakotaZ, If you know anyone that reloads you could open up the shells take the shot and have a smaller load made. Just an idea.

Last edited:
What are you having to pay for the Kent TM? Are the TM's you are buying the 1 1/16 oz. loads? I bought a case of the 16 ga. Kent TM a few years ago when they were closing out the 1 1/4 oz. #5 loads. I still have 16 boxes but I have to admit I'm not impressed with their performance. The 1 1/4 oz. loads I have are 1,265 fps. The new loads are 1 1/16 oz. loads are 1,315 fps. I should pick up a box and pattern them to see how much difference there is.

Zeb,

All the boxes I have bought are the 1 1/16 oz. loads. Been stockpiling them when I run across them for whenever that next trip to SD comes up. I've paid between $24 - $28 a box. Some were Christmas gifts. Sportsmen's Guide was where I got them the cheapest.

I said I would never buy the high buck non toxic ammo but I had so much fun hunting with my old 97 Winchester 16ga for ducks and geese last year. I will try to always have a couple of boxes around. I'll have to get my others 16's out in the blind this year. I still have some Bismuth 25 round boxes and some Tungsten Matrix Kent. Nothing funner then hunting with the old classic guns I grew up with.

A couple pics with the model 97, Sweet Sixteen....3 of the 5 16ga's I have all taking both upland and waterfowl. The waterfowl was taken with Kent Tungsten Matrix 1.25oz of #5's

Sweet pics thanks for sharing. I am about to pull the trigger on a box of the 2 and a half inch nice shot #5's. It's gonna hurt but fun to shoot ducks with those old guns.

DakotaMart in Pierre has an excellent selection of 16s. I picked up a box of steel and the 1&1/4 "baby mag" load Sat. just for the heck of it. You do not see them often. I did spend $50.00 for the two boxes, but may have enough 16s to get me thru the remainder of my hunting career.

Back