Lost my dog in a trap

tmanning

I know this topic has been hashed over, but I figure it doesn't hurt to hit it again if it will help someone. My 3 year old golden got caught in a conibear 220 on Dec 30th near Brainerd, MN while I was grouse hunting on a public hunting trail. I was there pretty quick, but she was fighting me for the first 30 seconds, and the couple of minutes it took me to get the trap off her neck was too much. My hands were cold and weak. I tried CPR, but she was gone.

It's unfortunate, she was really an awesome combination of hunter and friend to me and my young boys.

Please be aware on both sides.

Trappers: Think hard about where you're setting your traps. It was legal in MN to put that trap on the ground just off a public/mowed trail, but better care and some thought should have been taken. Ironically there's a large sign at the trail head that says "Sponsored by the MN Grouse Hunting Association."

Hunters: Understand these traps. Go get one and try it. There is no such thing as a quick release on them and there is no time to learn on the fly. Understand the risks and where you are hunting. It's really raw for me right now, but I can't see me hunting any of those miles and miles of public trails around Brainerd again. It's unfortunate.

I spend all pheasant season hunting public land in SW MN. Traps will certainly be on my mind as I try out my new puppy next fall. I'll likely be the guy with the tool belt carrying giant bolt cutters.

So sorry to hear your story. It really saddens me. I can't imagine watching my dog die and not being able to do anything. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Ive read your story a few places around the web. I'll say it again - I cant possibly imagine what you went through and are still going through. So very sorry.
I keep reading these stories but havent really learned or have the tools to release one of these conibears.
Its time..
God bless you Buddy. I have two Goldens..

What a shame. Aren't traps on public land supposed to be marked or flagged?

Does anyone have a link to a good website explaining how to remove one of these traps from your dog. Im very sorry to hear your story but im sure it will save a many dog. thank you for sharing, good luck to you and your new friend.

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. I have had traps on my mind lately. My brother in law's pup got caught in a coil spring leg hold trap in South Dakota 3 weeks ago.

Ironically, I was at Mack's Prairie Wings today and bought a conibear trap just so I can figure it out in case of a future emergency.

That sucks, thanks for the heads up I will be watching these videos as I take my pup out this year!

I don't think you'll have to worry about it, not to many trap lines in Ca.

Well I for one will have some zip ties in my hunting vest from now on! I don't see how the rope method will work with a frantic squirming dog in the trap. These people are having a hard time doing that method while holding the trap at table level! Thanks for the heads up, I will probably go to a trapping store and familiarize myself with those traps as well.

Don't these traps have to be flagged if on public land? This stuff makes me nervous..and the rope video looks worthless.. it took her over a minute to unlock the trap and thats without a squirming/dying dog stuck in it...Good luck with that. We have a cabin near brainered,,up in the Emily/outing, MN area and I frequently take my dog for walks/grouse hunting through those trails. I will certainly think twice about it now..No bird is worth losing my dog. Makes me sick. I am very sorry for your loss.

So sorry for your loss - what an awful thing to happen. On the last day of our season here in Nova Scotia (Dec 15), my lab got caught in a leghold, which I managed to release by hand. My host was angry because there were not supposed to be any trappers working her land. As we left, we saw several trucks driving on her fields (which we're not supposed to do), so I called her that night to assure her that it was NOT us who drove on teh fields. She told me that some other guests had two GSPs caught in coyote snares and one died as a result. Very sad. Although my lab works quite close, and I know how to operate a coyote snare, I thought of how deeply it might sink into her thick ruff around her neck, so I picked up a pair of small side-cutters to add to my vest just in case. Thanks to this post, I'll adding my old fish stringer and some zip-ties, although I think I could/would probably just be using my hands like the first vid. We are doing some youth education days later this year as part of Delta Waterfowl. I'm thinking that I should try to get my hands on a conibear so that everyone can handle it and get some idea how to deal with them.
Thanks for posting - a true honor to your dog's memory that you are taking the time to warn/help others at a time like this.
-Croc

Once again this is brought to the forefront, unfortunately.

Here is an article dated last October concerning the new trapping rules for Minnesota. http://www.twincities.com/ci_21812576

There are legitimate gripes to both sides. The "new" rules. Will this make the 220 useless for coon, skunk etc.. ?

Will this in fact make it protective for dogs? Remains to be seen.

Either way this will continue to be a hot topic as the DNR looks to come up with a solution that works for everyone.

traps

i can't really imagine what feelings i would have while my dogs was dying in my arms cause i to helpless to help him. saw the video, hope that now i am up to speed, i guess the only thing i ever considered was them stepping in a leg hold trap. what a lose. thanks for getting this started and sharing

Back