leg cramp remedies

watermen

Dog's in shape. I've shot several rounds of clays. I've been walking 3-4 times a week, but just a couple of miles. Any one have a sure fire remedy other than the Gatorade and dried Bananas diet on hunting days.

Have you tried drinking a lot of water? Hydration is a big factor in leg cramps.

Also, if you are on some medications, you may be more prone to leg cramping...especially night cramps.

Best wishes.

Are you on a low sodium diet? When I was on one I kind of went overboard on the low sodium and both calves would cramp up immediately when I tried to walk any distance because my electrolytes were so far out of balance.

I've always had issues with muscle cramps. Especially while pheasant hunting. Last year I found a tea spoon or so of kosher salt downed with a bolt of water really helps. I take it before I hunt and every once in a while stop to take more. It kind of depends on how much I'm sweating. Give it a try. For some reason there seems to be a correlation between Salt loss and cramping.

Nick

My mother -in-law swears by sleeping with a bar of "Ivory Soap" - works for her. Has to be Ivory, nothing else works!

Not sure you want to carry a bar of soap around while hunting...

Friend of mine has habitual problems with leg cramps and told me about magnesium pills. Take one a day with food. Would assume salt and banana's help also. At 77, I'll try anything!

Google "hi magnesium foods: - long list - kelp is #1!

Last edited:
david0311

Bananas and believe it or not Tonic water really work for me--

Tonic water??? Don't know why! But it works--

Always had issues until tried it on recommendation--:cheers:

Leg cramps

Tonic water works for me and it works immediately
As soon as I start cramping at night or after a hard day
I take 1 glass of cold tonic water. Cramping Goes away in minutes

I can't take potassium due to the meds I'm on now, but that & lots of water worked well for me when I was lifting weights. Now I take magnesium gel caps & those seem to do the trick in my case.

I'm going to give the tonic water a try.

Nick

Was told last week to take a spoon full of mustard. Worth a try. I might have to put a hotdog under it.

Is the walking you're doing the same kind of walking as you do during pheasant season? I know this may not come off as nice, but keeping in shape for hunting season requires work.

Pedialyte could be an alternative to Gatorade. But if you want to avoid sports drinks, lots of water and bananas. Personally I water down my Gatorade by half. Still tastes good and actually hydrates.

Have you tried drinking a lot of water? Hydration is a big factor in leg cramps.

Also, if you are on some medications, you may be more prone to leg cramping...especially night cramps.

Best wishes.

Water and complete hydration are the best. If you are not urinating so often that it is annoying you are not completely hydrated. If this does not work, see your general practioner.

I use to have the worst leg cramps until I started using arch supports. My Dr. recommended Dr Sholes Tri-Comfort Orthotics. https://www.drscholls.com/productsandbrands/tricomfort/#tablink_2
The really have helped with my fallen arches.
My Dr. explained the pain is from the tendons stretching during the hiking and then shrinking back at night to their normal position, causing the pain. He said if these did not help as much as I needed I would have to get custom orthotics and they cost about $200 each, ouch!

Yellow mustard is the charm, has been my antidote for 10 years or more...the turmeric is the magic ingredient....i get killer cramps.. The mustard cures them in about 30 seconds...i sleep with it near my bed.

Thanks,
I'll try the mustard and tonic water. Don't usually drink tonic water much after labor day, corse I rarely cramp up in the summer.

Back