Later season chokes and shot size?

2dogsandagun

I use an Browning Citori 12ga 28" barrel O/U for pheasants and was wondering if anyone changes their chokes later in the season. I use imp cyl and mod normally but have thought about switching the imp cyl for a full choke during the later season. Has anyone ever noticed a difference? Also I normally shoot Fiochii #5s. Does anyone else change their loads?

I'm 95% of the time modified choke with the high speed Fiocchi #5's.

Once in a while I'll switch to IC or Full, but not often. Typically when its windy and the birds are really wild I'll go to Full, and then they all jump at my feet.

Ficcohi #5's thru a LM choke tube in 20 ga., very effective. if they jump too far i just don't shoot, prefer to shoot them over a point.

Good idea in the wind even though the wind never blows here in Kansas;) Do you find it just holds the pattern better or are you also getting farther knock down range?
I too prefer to shoot them over a point but was think more on when 2 birds flush and getting the 2nd shot at the farther bird.

I shoot a 12ga. o/u with 26" barrels. It is an older gun so no choke tubes. It is imp/mod. I usually shoot #5 for pheasant. I don't really change anything later in the season. It's usually not the shot or choke but me to blame when a bird doesn't go down. Last weekend we flushed some quail and saw where they went down. I put in quail load (#8) only to flush a rooster where I was expecting to get the quail up. I killed the rooster dead with the quail load. Also missed a couple with #5 shot throughought the weekend that should've gone into the pouch. Like I tell my son, not the first time to miss and definitely won't be the last.

Remember that a standard modified choke is the only choke which maintains the same pattern size out to approximately 40yds. So at 15 or 25 yards roughly the same pattern, a little tighter than imp. cyl. and quite a bit more forgiving than full, depending on loads and individual guns of course. And to head off the debate, yes I have tested it, extensively with target boards at various ranges.( I had time and curiousity!). I subsequently went to modified and modified, in a side by side, all season long and never went back.

I shoot IMs all throughout the season in my O/U. If I change anything it may be the size of the shot later in the season, typically however about the time I do that the birds are flushing at my feet also. It is generally NO. 5 Fiocchi GPX for me in the 2 3/4 variety not the 3. Although if your wife complains about you being gone hunting all the time shoot the 3 in shells that way you can get a good shoulder rub out of the deal:)

I currently hunt with a Benelli M2 Field... I typically shoot a modified choke all year long, but at times later in the season I may use an improved-modified. I also typically use Remington Express Long-Range #6 - I like the 1 1/4 oz. shot. ;)

2dogs

I have the exact same set up as you, Citori and all, and after a hunt just last week around Liberal I'm switching my chokes to a full and improved modified when I go west. I don't know if it is just me but the bird in that area seem alot tougher than the birds back east. As loads go I have always used federal premium #6's just so I don't have to switch shot in the mixed bag of Kansas. I don't think the shot size matters as much as the choke action. That just my opinion.

Yes, on my 20 gauge I go from IC and Mod. I use late season Lt mod and Im. Mod. But my loads stay the a same a 7 first and 6 second...........Bob

I just stick with skeet skeet 1oz 7's- don't shoot unless the Britt's have one pinned- pretty close shooting- this load doesn't tear up roosters

IC #5, all season. Usually they get up in IC range, or they get up 300 yards away. I've never said, "dang, I wish I had a full choke in." I love to eat 'em too, and I would rather let one get away than blast it in half with close range/too much choke.:thumbsup:

That's my opinion anyway, but I usually don't start pheasant hunting until December. Maybe I am just spoiled and the birds like me.:rolleyes:

anyone ever shoot a full choke? i have an 870 wingmaster with a full choke, i pretty much always shoot 6's out of it

anyone ever shoot a full choke? i have an 870 wingmaster with a full choke, i pretty much always shoot 6's out of it

I have, but don't use it very often. Full choke actually kills birds dead, dead and deader.... but the discipline with Full choke is that your going to have to train yourself to wait on a close shot or it's fox food.;)

yes i learned fast to wait on the bird and shoot at a reasonable distance

Back