Kent Ultimate Fast Lead

Madison COunty

Kent Ultimate Fast Lead

Has anyone ever used these for pheasant hunting? I have a 20 gauge Rem 870 and was thinking about getting some of these from Cabelas. They got good reviews on there website but I was wondering if anyone here has used these and your thoughts about them. Thanks!

Yep, I've used it and like it. Hard polished shot "Diamond shot" as they call it. Works as well IMO as anything else out there including the Federal Pheasants Forever loads or Fiocchi Golden Pheasant at a slightly lower price.

Give it a try, I think you will be most satisfied. :thumbsup:

Madison, I just noticed you are in Madison County Iowa. I have a farmer friend down there just west of you in Greenfield. Used to go down and stay with him every year on the opener. Been a number of years since I've been down there. How are the bird numbers? Habitat shrinking?

Used be very good hunting back from the 80's to mid 90's. Those were some memorable times for sure.

I'm sure they will kill birds but I like federals in the red box with the pheasants forever logo on it. Just my personal preference

slow and not in the league of the feds

Slow:confused:

I would not call 1330 fps sloooow... besides you don't need High Velocity to kill Pheasants effectively, not to mention the patterning advantages of lower velocity over HV shotshells. But... even if you MUST have that shoulder breaking HV stuff, the Fast Lead is offered it in a load with 1475 fps.

I really don't care what anyone prefers to use as we all have our pet loads. Without trying to turn this into an ammo debate, High velocity is a much more of an advantage with steel shot. Because of the lighter weight of the steel pellets, more velocity is needed to provide downrange energy to make clean kills. But HV is NOT needed for Lead shotshells to kill Pheasants or any other upland game birds effectively.

Nothing wrong with Federal, great ammo, but prove to me that it is better or worse than Kent... I've used them both and see no difference except the price. :cheers:

FWIW

Last edited:
I have used them in my Browning White Lightning with the IC and M tubes screwed in. I used the 1 oz. #6 and #5 in the tight tube. My 20 ga. did not like them at all. Patterned very poorly through my gun.

Slow:confused:

I would not call 1330 fps sloooow... besides you don't need High Velocity to kill Pheasants effectively, not to mention the patterning advantages of lower velocity over HV shotshells. But... even if you MUST have that shoulder breaking HV stuff, the Fast Lead is offered it in a load with 1475 fps.

I really don't care what anyone prefers to use as we all have our pet loads. Without trying to turn this into an ammo debate, High velocity is a much more of an advantage with steel shot. Because of the lighter weight of the steel pellets, more velocity is needed to provide downrange energy to make clean kills. But HV is NOT needed for Lead shotshells to kill Pheasants or any other upland game birds effectively.

Nothing wrong with Federal, great ammo, but prove to me that it is better or worse than Kent... I've used them both and see no difference except the price. :cheers:

FWIW

1550 fps got tons of them

I like the Kent Fast Lead, good effective load that patterns well.
Shooting pheasants over point you can kill them clean with any good quality shell. Shot size is more important to me than the difference between 1250 fps and 1500 fps.

To each his own. I shutter to think what those would feel like shooting a lighter weight break open gun.....:eek:

I have killed lots with the kents birdshooter I just don't think there as good as the feds not near the misses and kills are lolts better but I tell you one thing I am standing my ground on is the fiocchis worst shell made and yes ive killed plenty with them but after a misfire and tons of misses something just isn't right people that use them just havnt experienced the ratty ass shell but they will I promise you I just think I go more than most and I have shot them more to experience it the great hunter that I am :D

We'll one thing is for sure. Even the cheapest ammo out there is waaay... better than we ever will be as wingshooter's. Put the shot pattern in the right spot and the bird is going down regardless of brand or speed.

Birds can be fringe hit with the best of ammo and drop a leg or break a wing and glide down to never be recovered just as easy as the cheap stuff.

As this age old cliche states "It's the Indian not the arrow" ;)

I like the price of them, it's always a mental debate when standing in front of the shelves in my mind it usually goes something like this, "3 day hunt, 3 bird a day limit, at worst I'll miss 50% so that's 18 shells needed..... Yup better grab 4 boxes, you never know.

Does anyone else have this "issue"

I have never shot the Kent lead. I use only Kent Fast steel out of a Wingmaster 870 light weight with mod choke. I love kent and can't imagine the lead being less deadly than the steel. Speaking for me, I shoot much better with a slower load, but for some people faster loads may improve their shooting. It took me a few years to find the loads I shoot the best, and it made a huge difference on the number of cripples. I went from crippling half the birds to knocking 75% of them dead. Buy a box, hunt with it, and see how it works in the field. If it works, the hunt away.

Madison County, I use them in 12ga and my brother uses them in 20ga and they work fine for us. Like any load, you put it where it needs to be and the pheasant falls. I have used them in 1100s and O/Us and they function well in both actions. My brother uses a Benelli in 20ga and the 20s function and perform well, too.

It is just critical to realize that lead is not permitted on Federal lands.
So, you have to use steel or a non-toxic alternative

Not entirely true--lead shot is ok on US Forest Service lands that are National Grasslands--at lest in South Dakota

Not entirely true--lead shot is ok on US Forest Service lands that are National Grasslands--at lest in South Dakota

We can use lead for upland game on most NWRs here also.

I bought 10 boxes of the Kent Ultimate Fast Lead for my 16b SxS and used them this weekend and today. The 16 gauges are only 1220 fps. I don't know how I could possibly kill anything with something that slow but I killed three today that fell dead!! I only had one shot that I missed on Saturday and Sunday and that wasn't the shells fault.
They were over pointing dogs but one was out past 30+ yards. I'm impressed.

So far so good but I guess time will tell.

AM

Back