Kent Ultimate Fast Lead

The 16 gauges are only 1220 fps. I don't know how I could possibly kill anything with something that slow but I killed three today that fell dead!!

I do... It's simple. You put the gun or more specifically the pattern in the right place and the bird fell dead. :):thumbsup:

High velocity loads do not have all the advantages that you may think they do. Especially when it comes to lead. Personally, I think this "speed kills" mentality is overblown.

If you think not, take a look at this article from one of the most well respected ballistic experts on shotshells there is, Tom Roster. A portion of his discussion is based on steel, but he also touches on high velocity as it's related to lead/tungsten based ammo.

Tom Roster:
Third, because of the poor aerodynamic shape of shotshell pellets ? even very spherical ones ? a little pattern testing quickly reveals that the patterns of high velocity shotshell loads ? regardless of metal type ? are seldom as good as the patterns of lower velocity shotshell loads.

My decades of lethality testing of lead and nontoxic shotshell loads for taking waterfowl and upland game birds have revealed the science-based reality that with lead and nontoxic tungsten-composite pellet hunting loads possessing lead shot equivalent pellet densities, all you need for effective (spelled: lethal) velocity is something near 1250 fps ? 50 fps. For steel loads, all that is needed is something near 1350 fps ? 50 fps. Launch velocities in excess of these benchmarks have not proven to increase lethality, but do help some shooters with their leads and thus hitting success.

So, one has to be quite conservative in selecting a high velocity shotshell load, or there is very little practical benefit. In fact, the benefit can become largely psychological. This is especially true if the shotgunner remains ignorant of the irrefutable laws of the physics of balls, never takes the time to pattern test his or her ammunition, and ignores the erosive effects on one?s shooting success caused by the ever higher recoil levels of higher and higher velocity shotshell loadings.

The whole article: http://www.shotgunlife.com/shotguns/tom-roster/does-speed-kill.html

Last edited:
Ken,

I think you missed the portion where roster explains that all that speed advantage at the muzzle has darn near evaporated at distance. The faster it starts out the faster it slows down, law of physics. Go back and read the article.

Hey... I agree shoot what you like. That physiological advantage is a "real" thing. :)

Last edited:
Kents

I like the Kents also, I like the price and use them in Steel and lead. I always bought Federals when I was a duck hunter....The Kent's do a fine job with my upland bird hunting now. I wouldnt tell anyone not to use them.

Last edited:
Speed sells, placement kills.

Couldn't agree more with that statement Thornton. :thumbsup:

It all goes back to the "it's the indian , not the arrow" analogy. The world's best ammo will not make poor shooter a great shooter.

Last edited:
Confidence really turns the trick and some shotshells or scatterguns give us that in spades, then we too often opine that both are best or Top 3 at most every opportunity and for too many scenarios.

3 3/4 dram used to be all the velocity oomph needed in a pheasant 12 for pointed or flushed birds, then steel drug high velocity into the marketing room and "Viola!" as the Stooges used to say.
Same with turkey, to a degree, though payload weight and inches are the seller there.

I just bought some comparably inexpensive 12-3 1/4-1 1/4-5s for pheasants...should work swell through my modified or improved given a fine opportunity and a good decision from me.
I do have some of the fast loads and heavier loads for when my confidence flags or January weather roars and, because I often buy stuff just to see.
However, I never try to see into another man's shell loops...who cares?...other than for a load at a true extreme of measure and one of my dogs is down.

But, I can't blame the trial shooters for wanting birds on the ground in that situation. Reputations as trial shooters and practicalities of that position tell them to stick with "their" confidence.

In all fairness, this is not about bashing Federal PF loads. They are an excellent pheasant load if you choose to use them. If a few dollars more for a box of shells doesn't make any difference to you, then use them.

How much better they work than Kent or any other brand is hard to measure. Everyone may have a different interpretation of what better means. There's only one degree of dead and it only requires 3-4 well placed pellets into a vital to do the job. We seemed to kill birds just fine 30 years ago with what by today's standards would seem inferior.

I used Kent steel for ducks last season. Every duck I hit, I killed. If the pheasant load is anything like the steel, it will do the job. Personally, I have been using the Federal PF for the last two seasons, a little fast, but they work well.

Kent lead

I like the Kents also, I like the price and use them in Steel and lead. I always bought Federals when I was a duck hunter....The Kent's do a fine job with my upland bird hunting now. I wouldnt tell anyone not to use them.

Thanks GPowers! I looked at Scheels today for the Federal in 20gauge and they dont have anything. Cabelas sells the kent lead in 20gauge and i think im going to try them. They look like a great shell, but right now at cabelas the per box is cheeper than the case per box cost but the per box is on backorder......go figure.

I will order some soon and report back with the results!

I like the price of them, it's always a mental debate when standing in front of the shelves in my mind it usually goes something like this, "3 day hunt, 3 bird a day limit, at worst I'll miss 50% so that's 18 shells needed..... Yup better grab 4 boxes, you never know.

Does anyone else have this "issue"

I know what you mean. I definitely have this problem. Don?t know how many days I will get out this year but I bought a whole flat to make sure I'm covered. :D

OAP, You have mentioned the Fiocchi GP misfires several times. Is this a common problem? Just wondering as I know several guys that shoot these loads and swear by them.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. I definitely have this problem. Don?t know how many days I will get out this year but I bought a whole flat to make sure I'm covered. :D

OAP, You have mentioned the Fiocchi GP misfires several times. Is this a common problem? Just wondering as I know several guys that shot these loads and swear by them.

just one misfire I mwill never forget it my dog was on point in ks and about 5 roosters blew up click wtf? jack that shell out bang crippled rooster cause to far away man I was so pissed I said never again never my friend also had a misfire there junk I go bird hunting tons I shoot lots of ammo I know what shells perform the best those fiocchis pattern like sh8&^% more misses than I have ever had in my life go to the federal shell thread that springer brought up they use them in there club and trials they have to have dependable shells lots of people talk about how great of shell they are but they might go a few times a year so take that for what it is good luck another shell I like for a mixed bag hunt is the Winchester double AA sporting 1300 fps 1 1/8 shot 7 1/2 loads knocks phez on there ass and drills quail 12 guage they are a extremely hard shell to find when you see bass pro out of stock at independence and olathe that tells you something 9 dollars a box but dandys

Thanks for the info. I attended several ESS FT's this year and they all used the B&P MB Long Range shells so I decided to try those but I will keep the one's you mentioned in mind if I see them on the shelf.

LOL a topic brought up at training and trials often.:D Some use them, not here.

FCS--Would like to try the Federal shells you started that thread about but like I said I cant find them around here. Have to use something and I couldn't beat the $14 a box price tag on these shells either. Also dosent hurt that others seem to like them. Time will tell if it was a good choice or not. :D

Sorry for moving this thread away from the Kent Fast Lead origin.

I think just about any Hi Power shell will do the trick Kents included. When people blow a shot the first thing they do is blame the ammo or the gun when in actuality its them. I personally absolutely hate Remington shells! They make pretty good firearms but the shotshell ammo sucks!

Back