kansas spring snow hunting

kscountryboy11

anyone hunt snows during the spring convservation season this year? me a few buddys chased um for about a week here around perry. we faired pretty decent. its only our second year doing it. but we had a blast. i think our best day we killed 30. were still learing.

Cool, we set up for them around our neck of the woods, but most of our birds had gone back through before the Conservation Season opened up.:mad::(

We had plans to come out that way and chase them, lot more birds come through your way than ours anymore, but work always seems to get in the way of having fun.

Outstanding job KSCB11

Sure is fun to put the hurt on them snows, specially when everything else has closed. Breaks up the lull. Thanks for sharing

Nice harvest man! How do you usually eat those things? I either make jerkey out of them, or give them to the hillbilly neighbor... they're not called flying livers for nothing! :D

Nice harvest man! How do you usually eat those things? I either make jerkey out of them, or give them to the hillbilly neighbor... they're not called flying livers for nothing! :D

Apparently the key is plenty of beer. My dad and I have tried everything we can think of to make them taste good without any luck. The only time it worked (according to my dad) is when he threw one on the smoker and he and his neighbor finished off a case of beer while it was cooking. The ate the whole thing and thought it was GREAT:cheers::D

Looks like a mixed bag of Ross, Blue's and Snow's !!!! Them damn things frustrate me!!!!:10sign:

put a bunch of um in the smoker today.. turned out pretty damn good if i do say so myself! haha

I haven't hunted any snows this year. Cheyenne Bottoms was pretty much missed by all the ducks and geese this year. There were a few but the big numbers just weren't here. I was looking at waterfowl reports and out west on some of the reserviors there are TONS of light geese. Un-real numbers for out that way. One lake's report said it had a million snows.

Nice Job! We had tens of thousands here in December/January. There are still some flocks, but haven't seen the masses like what was here then.

Wish I had some snow goose dekes. :rolleyes: They always fly too high for pass shooting... At least when they are flying over me.:eek:

checked reports the other day and lovewell had over a million on it! and along with jamestown and glen elder there supposidly about 1.5 million or so between the 3 of them

Miss hunting snows & blues, did a lot of it in younger yrs on the Katy rice prairie wintering grounds in TX - but I DON'T miss setting up all those dekes (I'll leave that to you younguns) - it's a whole lot easier just throwin out a dozen or two canada dekes & doin brisk business! :D

With a big enough group to handle all the work involved, I wouldn't mind trying a trailerload or two of dekes coupled with a LOUD electronic recording of a live flock of snows just once during spring conservation season just to say I did - but after all of that work, snow goose hunting is so hit-or-miss, it's feast or famine...

Oh, & I def don't miss the "liver" - have tried every recipe known to man & there just ain't no way to make goose a truly savory/succulent meal :eek: - except... :cheers:

Back