I shot a hen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So wait a minute... So let's say your perfectly mannered spaniel kills a bird by accident ( now we all know that would not happen but let's just pretend). They would not retrieve it? How would you take the evidence to turn yourself in? Would you go over and pick it up? Or God forbid leave it lay? Or just give the CO the gps coordinates so he could track it down? You are starting to sound like the guy from western kansas that had the Britts and wanted to fight me all the time. What was his name again Brown Dog?

I'll let you know when it happens, don't hold your breath.

I have no doubt a dog can be trained to not catch a bird, but somehow I doubt you did

Well, fortunately you will never know, so you are free to just keep running your gums.

Any way you cut it. The bird is still dead.

Agreed! My dog has pounced on several wounded birds in heavy cover and thats the only way I found them. I was proud! He did his part in the beginning (pointed) , I hit the bird , he found it , he fought it , I grabbed it , killed it , and that night I ate it.

Funny that in 40 years of hunting I have never met or even heard of anyone that would turn themselves in for accidentally shooting a hen yet here on this thread are several people that would do so. hmmm

Funny that in 40 years of hunting I have never met or even heard of anyone that would turn themselves in for accidentally shooting a hen yet here on this thread are several people that would do so. hmmm

It's easier to turn yourself in when you're talking about it on the internet. :D

If I ever shot a hen I'd drive my criminal butt straight to Leavenworth and check myself in!

I've never shot a hen, so I've never had to worry about it. I did come close once. It was my first pheasant hunt and the first pheasant I'd ever seen (30+ years ago now). She lost some tail feathers that day. However, I did accidentally shoot 2 tom turkey's with one shot. The 2nd was downhill and directly behind the tom that I was trying for. I never saw him until I went to retrieve the first bird and there the second one was 30 yards behind him down the hill flopping around. I've replayed it a thousand times in my head and ever time I would have taken the shot again. I did call the state game warden when I got home. I explained what happened, told him I would bring him the bird and take my fine but I think he could tell that I was sincere and was genuinely remorseful about what had happened so he let me off with a verbal warning.

I have never shot anyone I hunt with, nor have I ever shot my dog while pheasant hunting? So I suppose I am not as careless or stupid as you are trying to make me sound? Now my main concern with this reply is the use of the word "Lape" in any reply to pheasant hunting?

-Urban Dictionary

To lape someone is the act by which one ejaculates seminal fluids on anothbody.

-So my answer is, No my excitement didn't ever lead to that??

Just for the record I don't shoot hens can't remember if I ever even have accidently shot one. I have however seen people accidently shoot a hen.

-"Back Round"??? What is a "Back Round"

Thank you for proof reading my post and pointing out my typing error or my failure to notice the the auto correct function

Do you also take short hand?/

If I ever need another secretary I may contact you:eek:

David0311

Well, when gentlemen hunt, there always used to be some basic rules of etiquette. One of those is that your dog not be a killer. And it's certainly nothing to brag about. It's like my satellite tv guy. He told me my spaniels must not be much for bird dogs because they don't kill my chickens, but his GSP he says proudly, "would kill the whole flock". I told him that's no indication of the quality of my dogs, but maybe it is a statement about their intelligence. I told him that perhaps it's a statement on the control (or lack thereof) he has over his dogs. I watch my spaniels set birds to flight with a nudge of their noses, all the time, they could grab them if they wanted to, but they know the game, no BANG, no retrieve.

Hmm--what do they do with crippled birds? Nudge them back to you until you can pick them up--
Just asking:rolleyes:

No, smart guy, they retrieve them and deliver them to me with no further harm, like a real bird dog should. Brilliant.

David0311

No, smart guy, they retrieve them and deliver them to me with no further harm, like a real bird dog should. Brilliant.

So they automatically know the difference between a crippled bird and any other?

What do these magical dogs do if they come across a cripple or injured bird that
You did not put down yourself

Just asking:rolleyes:

Yes, they automatically know, you see, they have this thing, and it's located right above their mouths (that's the end with the pearly whites, not the end the stinky stuff comes out), and right above those pearly whites there lie two orifices,, Believe it or not, they can actually breath through those orifices. And as they breath (they breath air, that's what's in the atmosphere), it's oxygen-bearing and we use it pretty regularly ourselves, it has an atmospheric pressure of 14.7psi at sea level, but drops as you rise in elevation (elevation means higher, ),that's what makes flatlanders huff and puff when they come to the hills here (please don't). Anyway, as they process this oxygen-bearing substance, they also ingest every bit of scent that they come across. Sometimes, when in the pheasant field, that means they might smell a pheasant. When they smell a pheasant and blood, or a pheasant with broken skin, they, believe it or not, ( and I am talking about all hunting dogs, not just mine, although they are brilliant and sometimes seem magical), they can process that and discern if the bird is wounded, or not. How else can they bring you a wounded bird, instead of getting on the trail of the next bird you would like to flush and letting the wounded one run off? (Maybe yours do, sorry for your rotten luck, I can recommend a great spaniel kennel where the dogs actually have a good smelling thing).So as they process all this information, with some training that we do, little things like "bird down" drills, over time, they come to know what you expect of them. What I expect is that wounded bird in my hand and I don't care how many healthy ones fly away in the process. Now, my dogs are pretty good at it, not as good as some I have seen. The guys who have better ones help me bring my game along. Kind of like when I tried to give some basic info to a rookie on how to read a dog food label and a certain person jumped on one sentence that I wrote and made me "wrong" (in his mind). Kind of like how I used to tell anyone on this forum who asked, where they could have a good hunt. (those days are over, had to deal with too many people like you as a reward for my effort). Kind of like the crap you all gave me for advising someone who accidentally killed a hen to do what you would do if a kid was watching. so, anyway the dog uses that sniffy thing to discern a healthy bird from a wounded one. Kind of like sharks in the water. (They are a predatory, salt-water fish, found in the oceans of the World. (Oceans are large bodies of salt water). Then they track that bird until they either run it down, or, less likely with a good dog, they lose scent. It happened to me last Sunday because as it gets hotter, and dryer, that sniffy thing becomes less effective, and the dog has more trouble using those magnificent orifices. So yes, my dog lost a bird, (jump on that sentence, all you wisenheimers), but it don't happen often.

As for your question regarding a bird someone else wounded, see above.

Last edited:
Thank you for proof reading my post and pointing out my typing error or my failure to notice the the auto correct function

Do you also take short hand?/

If I ever need another secretary I may contact you:eek:

I find it funny that such an observant individual as yourself, that would Never under any circumstance mistake a hen for a rooster or OVERLAP TWO with a shot because you know what is in the BACKGROUND, would not notice there were so many misspellings in your post??

I'm late to this party as usual, but I have a good excuse....I was hunting.

I believe I rad all the posts up to the inflammatory. Some of them were still pretty good and I do understand everyone's point of view, except...

The last time I read South Dakota law it read that it's illegal to "possess" a hen pheasant, it did not say it was illegal to kill one. Even read a statement from the state saying they recognize accidents happen and didn't wish to ruin anyone's experience for accidentally shooting a hen, just don't pick it up.
Perhaps that's changed, but again, I don't have time to check because....I'm going hunting!

And for the guys saying they dislike leaving a dead bird in the field as it's a waste, well that's where all the birds that die from natural causes end up. It's a natural death bed for them and they are not wasted, only the opportunity for a sportsman to shoot that bird is wasted. Just as that opportunity for another person to shoot any bird you take is removed.

A waste of a game bird is freezer burn or to me, even discarding the non-edibles in the trash, they belong in the wild to nourish the soil and next year's bug crop.

Found this decision from a SD appeals court where a guy claimed he was faced with a "cruel dilemma", either taking the bird, or leaving it to "waste".
You are correct, I have not seen anything that actually says it is illegal to shoot a hen. I can't believe there isn't something stating intent. As if it's not illegal to shoot a hen, what's to stop thrill killers from shooting every one they see, as long as they leave it lay? I think it is highly likely that there is a de-facto ban on hen shooting, simply because of the wording in the daily and overall possession limit, which states "three ROOSTER" pheasants, and 15 Rooster pheasants. An analogy might be that, if you have a buck deer tag, you can't shoot a doe and it's legal if you leave it lay. If I read this correctly, the court determined that leaving the bird in the field does not result in wanton waste of game. Keep in mind this particular case seemed to resolve around what several people mentioned, a dog killing a hen and delivering it to it's handler who then stashed it under the truck seat. I surmised that would be depredation, apparently the court agreed. With that in mind, it may not be that big a deal after all. Although I did see a guy report himself, I made the presumption that he was then ticketed as the wardens were not able to come to the scene. He was an out of stater as I recall, so never heard the outcome, but, again presumed he was cited. I will ask the local CO when I see him for his take.

Here is part of the court decision:

[?26.] With respect to the possession of a hen pheasant, defendants next argue that they faced a 'choice of evils? because of a statutory scheme that is impermissibly vague,? and because of that scheme, the trial court?s refusal to allow an instruction that they faced a ?choice of evils? was an abuse of discretion. In examining the issue, we look to the pertinent language of the statutes. SDCL 41-11-4 provides:

Except as provided in ? 41-11-5, no person may hunt, take, kill, ship, convey, or cause to be shipped or transported by common or private carrier to any person, either within or without the state, buy, barter, expose for sale, sell to anyone, have in possession or under control at any time, any . . . Chinese ring-necked or English pheasant . . . or any part thereof. A violation of this section is a Class 2 misdemeanor.

The exception, SDCL 41-11-5, authorizes the GF&P to establish a hunting season on any of the fowl specified in SDCL 41-11-4. SDCL 41-1-4 provides, ?No person may wantonly waste or destroy any of the birds, animals, or fish of the kinds protected by the laws of this state. A violation of this section is a Class 2 misdemeanor.?

[?27.] We need not delve into an abstract analysis of the language presented in SDCL 41-1-4; a brief look at the definition of the word ?waste? is sufficient. The American Heritage Dictionary defines ?waste? as ?[t]o use, consume, spend, or expend thoughtlessly or carelessly.? American Heritage College Dictionary 1523 (3d ed 1997). Standing alone, this definition suffices to expose the defendants? flawed logic. South Dakota law specifically prohibits the unauthorized possession of a hen pheasant. Therefore, one who would leave a hen pheasant in a field, in compliance with the law, cannot be said to have carelessly or thoughtlessly misspent that pheasant. Under such circumstances, a citizen would be obeying the laws of the State.

Last edited:
Bless me Father, for I have sinned...

I don't remember if I was in MN or SD at the time, but 10 years ago I was hunting the edge of a shelter belt and a bird flushed from an adjacent strip of corn. I ducked out of the shelter belt and could see the bird crossing high in the sky, so high that it was more like a typical waterfowl shot. Obviously in hindsight, I knew I shouldn't have taken the shot but I did and the bird dropped out of the sky. When I walked across the corn stubble and found a dead hen lying there, I decided to leave it where it lied.

I chalked it up as a learning experience but it never occurred to me to report myself to the DNR or Fish & Game. I'm just finding it hard to believe many guys reported themselves before the advent of cell phones and even today, I doubt a lot of hunters would make that call because it either wouldn't occur to them or because their hunting budget is already stretched to the limit. Just my opinion, fwiw.

As penance, I'll now say 2 Hail Marys and 3 Our Fathers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back