I shot a hen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

odenney

Just throwing out a question for discussion. If you accidental shoot a hen, what do you do with the bird? (1) Leave it as it was an accident and to be caught with it you would be fined. (2) Take it as it was an accident and no use in letting it go to waste. (3) Take it and report it to a Game Warden and he may let you keep it or he may fine you (4) Other

Leave bird in field. Learn from your mistake. Most importantly YOU are buying drinks / dinner for your hunting group that night.

I suggest doing what you would do if kids were watching. I saw a gentleman at Winner call the law on himself, take his citation and paid the fine. I found this an honorable approach as a lot of kids were watching.

I suggest doing what you would do if kids were watching. I saw a gentleman at Winner call the law on himself, take his citation and paid the fine. I found this an honorable approach as a lot of kids were watching.
I 100% agree. "the sun" or "I swear I saw color on the head!" should never be an excuse. We have all done it (You know you have!!). Take your medicine by calling the CO...RR

An accident is an accident. That's different from intentionally shooting a hen. I've done it and the opinion of the group was to leave it. It wouldn't go to waste. The ribbing was merciless. The embarrassment was even greater.

In the eyes of the law, (we still have some respect for it here in SD), there is no difference. If I am mistaken, please provide me with the paragraph from the SD 2016 Hunting Guide, or any other States book. If you throw that bird away and I see it, you will not only pay for the illegal kill, but I will tell the CO that I will testify against you for the wanton waste of game citation he is going to write you. The opinion of the "group" don't mean sheit.

Last edited:
Re-read my post from yesterday and apologize if it was abrasive as tone can't be conveyed in text. Didn't mean to indicate that others in different areas don't have respect for the law. It was more of a general statement on current times where we have gotten to the point where a lady cop was afraid to defend herself because of how her actions may have been portrayed in the media. I would have blown his ass right out of his shoes, then let the jury decide. One of our best troopers got throttled by a joker passing through with 50 lbs of weed, when the trooper told him he was under arrest, he beat him nearly to death, fortunately some good Samaritans put the run on them, they ditched the weed north of Wall and tried to hideout in a Wall motel. Cops found a picture of a marker on a barbed wire fence on their phone, recognized it and drove straight to the stash. he gets room and board for a long, long time.

In the hunter ed classes I teach, I tell the students that the right thing to do is to call the Conservation Officer and own up to your mistake like a man.

We want hunters to be ethical. Do what's right even when nobody is looking.

Anything less is not good for the future of the sport.

Mike C.

One of our best troopers got throttled by a joker passing through with 50 lbs of weed, when the trooper told him he was under arrest, he beat him nearly to death, fortunately some good Samaritans put the run on them, they ditched the weed north of Wall and tried to hideout in a Wall motel. Cops found a picture of a marker on a barbed wire fence on their phone, recognized it and drove straight to the stash. he gets room and board for a long, long time.

Hopefully this scene will not play out in 10 years or less. Legalize it and these issues/wastes of time, money and risk to life/limb will go away - at least for this drug.

Anyways as far as to the topic at hand - leave it in the field and dont repeat the mistake.

Possession is possession, it does not state no possession UNLESS it dies of fright, froze to death, old age, sunstroke, hunger or anything else but being shot.

That would be considered predation, no CO I know of would write it. Kind of far-fetched anyway as wild pheasants don't tend to sit still for a dog to grab, possible, but unlikely. I suppose if you want to get into what-ifs, how about you are driving down the gravel and a hen flies in your window and dies?

I actually had my first Lab, yellow female, that was expert at catching hens. Wild birds, private ground in Kansas that I hunted for decades. She was soft mouthed, didn't crush them. Some I took from her, gave 'em a toss and they flew away. A couple got the dying quivers while she held them and expired.

So, there I am...dead hen. Leave it in field? Call CO on yourself because dog caught a hen? What?

They probably check it for holes or shot first wouldn't they? That's what they do with deer. Try to find a hole first, determine the cause of death, then decide if a Violation has occurred.

just out of curiosity, for those that say "call the CO, report it and take your medicine", do you do the same when you find yourself driving over the posted speed limit?

How does driving over the speed limit deplete a public resource?

lol.....well, I suppose one could say that it would deplete/decrease chances of safe travel of others on the road at the time of breaking the speed limit---driver two:D.

I am amazed at the ethical and honorable members on this site that would actually turn themselves in to a CO. Kudos to you. Not sure I'd do the same, but I guess what each individual does is up to them.

By admitting that you shot a hen, didn't report it and left it in the field I guess that would be a case of self-incrimination, eh???? :eek: Probably why there aren't many posts by those that have done that.

Can you tell that to my local Sheriff's department? They are the only ones I see doing crazy speeds for no apparent reason, around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back