How many birds each season?

Raising a family takes some time, but the window is so very small and well worth it, that you won't miss too much hunting in those early years of the kids life. Then they get older and you can get some of your freedom back.

I'll go ahead and completely disagree with this statement. You will miss a crap load of hunting time and sleep. Not to mention money will disappear from your bank account too. @Munster927 if I were you I'd just keep livin' the life you have for as long as your health will allow you to.

Without mentioning anyone specifically, its obvious that some people just don't give a rat's ass about how many birds or fish they have in their freezer or which state they are from. My advice to you is this: keep it up. Eventually the law is going to find you and when they do, I hope they don't just slap you on the wrist either.

Last edited:
What is the possession limit where you are? To chime off about killing all these birds is pure arrogance in my opinion. You are violating possession limits and killing birds other hunters should have access to. If your such a stud turn yourself in for all the violations you have obviously done.
The topic of this thread is birds shot per season, if I’m recalling correctly. It’s your prerogative to take the discussion any direction you want. My days afield closely mirror cyclonenation 10’s…I haven’t counted birds in the bag precisely, but let’s just say with good land, good dogs, and decent shooting it’s not hard to achieve those #’s, especially when party hunting is legal. And it’s not hard to stay legal regarding possession limits…I’m not a huge fan of freezing game, much prefer to prepare it fresh…I cook lots of pheasant in the fall…love it in pheasant camp!!!! Enjoy sharing it with the farmers especially. I make sure my hunting partners leave with the max # of birds they can legally take if they want them…they usually do. Again, not hard to stay both legal and ethical. I believe encouraging people to come and hunt with me is a win-win, starting with the wildlife…

Last edited:
When did I ever say I considered myself a “legend” or anything remotely close to that? Help me understand why you find it necessary to be so contentious Do you have a problem with people answering questions on this forum? With people shooting a lot of birds?
Some are just Di@ks there really isn’t anything you can do about it. Why anyone cares what you do with your personal time or the success you have doing it is beyond me. He seems to only appreciate the appearance of having no success in life and criticizes those that have had any. You seem to be enjoying yourself, don’t let a drip affect that

Some are just Di@ks there really isn’t anything you can do about it. Why anyone cares what you do with your personal time or the success you have doing it is beyond me. He seems to only appreciate the appearance of having no success in life and criticizes those that have had any. You seem to be enjoying yourself, don’t let a drip affect that
Pulitzer Prize for Carptom 1!

What is the possession limit where you are? To chime off about killing all these birds is pure arrogance in my opinion. You are violating possession limits and killing birds other hunters should have access to. If your such a stud turn yourself in for all the violations you have obviously done.
Violating possession limits? I just checked and currently have 5 pheasant breasts in my freezer. Unless something recently changed, the possession limit in Iowa is still 12?

Please elaborate on all of these violations I've so clearly committed???

My biggest challenge to shooting more birds is that I'm a Try And Do Everything kind of guy. I pheasant hunt, I grouse hunt, I deer hunt, I prairie bird hunt. Include that with a daily work schedule, having a house to maintain myself plus a cabin to maintain and the short fall season ends far too quickly. Then when I add in that I'm only a public land hunter who lives a bare minimum of 1.5 hours to marginal pheasant country, 2 to 3 hours from better to prime pheasant country, it's certainly not without it's challenges.

I can't wait until I'm married and have kids too 😂😂
You should try carp hunting!!

There were a few years, back in 2002-2011 that I would push the 75 birds a year number. No where near that now. Been in the 20's the last 3 or 4 years. So far this year, 5 roosters in Kansas, 5 quail in Kansas, and 4 roosters in Iowa. I could have shot a few more, but don't like shooting the doubles and triples hunting by myself now. Hopefully, I can top 30 this year. Headed back to Iowa on the 18th for 5 days and have Christmas break to hunt in Kansas. My goal used to be limits, now it is a relaxing day by myself watching the dogs work. I am pushing 60 years of age, and feel great knowing that I can still walk from sun up to sundown. I have not slowed down a bit physically.

There were a few years, back in 2002-2011 that I would push the 75 birds a year number. No where near that now. Been in the 20's the last 3 or 4 years. So far this year, 5 roosters in Kansas, 5 quail in Kansas, and 4 roosters in Iowa. I could have shot a few more, but don't like shooting the doubles and triples hunting by myself now. Hopefully, I can top 30 this year. Headed back to Iowa on the 18th for 5 days and have Christmas break to hunt in Kansas. My goal used to be limits, now it is a relaxing day by myself watching the dogs work. I am pushing 60 years of age, and feel great knowing that I can still walk from sun up to sundown. I have not slowed down a bit physically.
I've had several times this year where I stopped at 2.I hunt only wild birds, and 65% public land. I'm usually in that 25-45 range on birds.I eat some, give some to friends, mount a few, blow up a few.For me, I just enjoy being out there with my dog.I don't use kennels ever.I have an old bench seat pick up, my dog rides up front with me, not in some caged box. I also don't believe in home kennels.

I've had several times this year where I stopped at 2.I hunt only wild birds, and 65% public land. I'm usually in that 25-45 range on birds.I eat some, give some to friends, mount a few, blow up a few.For me, I just enjoy being out there with my dog.I don't use kennels ever.I have an old bench seat pick up, my dog rides up front with me, not in some caged box. I also don't believe in home kennels.
Crate training is a very important part of dog training. Keeping a dog safe during transportation is something I believe in.

My dad tells a story of his uncle Merton, who once shot a double out the window. He was driving, the car was moving, & both birds were flying.

That's very impressive. Deduct 10 points on that one.

My grandma used to tell me about her mother back in the 30's/40's who would drive at dusk and hit a few on the side of the road. Equally challenging, albeit a bit more tenderized than I prefer my birds.

Back