How many birds each season?

At least you recognized the problem. The owners of the dogs that ruined the hunt I was on couldn't recognize the problem, or weren't willing to admit to it. Its very difficult to tell someone you know that their dog is the problem. People get offended by it. Needless to say, when I invited them again, I told them their dog wasn't welcome. Some of them understood but a couple of them blew a fuse.
I understand not liking someone criticizing your dog but dam! My buddy took a guy who claimed to have a good gsp. My buddy's dog made every point and every retrieve. He said you could tell the dog had never been afield! They had dinner with their wife's latter and all he talked about was how great his dog did.

I understand not liking someone criticizing your dog but dam
Its a very difficult thing to do. Its like telling someone that their kid sucks at something or is misbehaved or whatever. People don't like to hear it because its a reflection on them. I find its best to just avoid it completely now.

I kicked a guy out of our hunt 5 years ago for refusing to require that his dog comply with his commands…he was warned…dog was out of control…so was the master!

Ive seen dogs over handled too. I was with some guys on a holiday hunt, one wouldn't quit hacking on his dog the dog was so jacked up he didn't know whether to come or go. I finally got so sick of the noise I went and set in the truck. had I driven myself I would have left
Another one that gets to me is guys who try to give commands to your dog , most of the time they dont even know the proper commands. I got so sick of someone s blah blah blah this year I told him if he wanted to train bird dogs he could feed his own . Totally lost it , swearing and cussing. Felt bad but come on man

Another one that gets to me is guys who try to give commands to your dog , most of the time they dont even know the proper commands.
This is actually part of the reason I prefer to hunt by myself sometimes. Commands are noise, and pheasants hear noise. When its just me and my dog, we make no noise. She knows what to do.

A couple weeks ago I took a friend (no dog) with and told him ahead of time that we weren't going to make any noise. Normally we yell "hen!" if a hen gets up but I told him not to do that anymore because the last time we yelled hen, the roosters were getting up wild out of range. Noise is the enemy this time of year.

This is actually part of the reason I prefer to hunt by myself sometimes. Commands are noise, and pheasants hear noise. When its just me and my dog, we make no noise. She knows what to do.

A couple weeks ago I took a friend (no dog) with and told him ahead of time that we weren't going to make any noise. Normally we yell "hen!" if a hen gets up but I told him not to do that anymore because the last time we yelled hen, the roosters were getting up wild out of range. Noise is the enemy this time of year.
It took me a few trips out west to figure that out. Then I realized I was getting more close flushes when hunting away from the group with my closer hunting dogs that I never had to give any commands! I think they even hear light conversation and I know truck doors!

Hunt by yourself and you'll eliminate all of the unpleasantness. I get corralled into an opening day party hunt and one or two late season party hunts, but 95% of the time, it's just me and Sage.

Politics, religion and another man's dog. Off limits.

Last edited:

I agree. Talking is a no not Especially in December. I hunt with my cousin who talks a lot, but he's good at getting permission.

I probably got 30, lost a dozen.Fun year.Hunted mostly by myself all over montana. Did some hunting with relatives, so that was special.

Back