How many birds each season?

Hunt close to 40 days in ND/SD…80% private land, including a quarter that I own, which is all habitat. Rare that I don’t have consistent action through the day. Already spent 13 days in the Dakota’s hunting pheasants….

By the way, I don't pay anybody a dime.
Except the gas station, the sporting goods store and the various other people that are part of hunting like the licenses. It is just the people that are nice enough to let you hunt that you don't pay.

Except the gas station, the sporting goods store and the various other people that are part of hunting like the licenses. It is just the people that are nice enough to let you hunt that you don't pay.
I love when people stand on some moral high ground on the internet. It’s your land do with it what you will. If I don’t like it then I guess I can go buy some of my own.

Well yeah that's right.Im not going to support the end of free hunting access to private land. Eventually, every farmer will charge people. Sad.

Usually about 8-12 times/season. All after firearms deer season is over, so between mid November and New Years. I normally hunt alone or with 1 other trusted person on private land in east-central MN and my season bag total is usually anywhere from 15 - 30 roosters. I can recall one year being 38 in recent memory and one year being 4. Those were outlier seasons.

This is good thread BTW. Its interesting to see how others do during an average season, but bear in mind that we're hunting many different areas of many different states too.

Enough to keep us going back after them.
If numbers are interesting, I'll say this. I moved to Des Moines in 2001 & hunted public land in central IA that fall, without a dog, just as I'd done in SD for the previous 20 years fairly successfully. I hunted hard & shot only 5 roosters. That next summer I got my first FBESS Walt, who turned 5 months old on opening day 2002. That year I shot 35 roosters in the same places. I had no idea what I'd been missing. Incredible. I'm now on my 3rd FBESS & have been blessed to be back in God's country since 2007.

Usually about 8-12 times/season. All after firearms deer season is over, so between mid November and New Years. I normally hunt alone or with 1 other trusted person on private land in east-central MN and my season bag total is usually anywhere from 15 - 30 roosters. I can recall one year being 38 in recent memory and one year being 4. Those were outlier seasons.

This is good thread BTW. Its interesting to see how others do during an average season, but bear in mind that we're hunting many different areas of many different states too.
My first 2 years of pheasant hunting I only got a couple birds combined and hardly chased up anything. This year we already got 6 something and lost about 4 do to various reasons and the dogs are pointing much better. The first 2 years I thought pheasant hunting was just a walk in the park but I now realize how smart pheasants actually are and were they like to be and were getting much more shot opportunities.

My first 2 years of pheasant hunting I only got a couple birds combined and hardly chased up anything. This year we already got 6 something and lost about 4 do to various reasons and the dogs are pointing much better.
I hunted for years without a dog because I lived in an apartment and didn't have the means necessary to train or own one. I still got a fair amount of roosters every season. More than many other people I know who hunted with a dog. But then again I have access to private land that virtually no one hunts too.

I will admit that a well trained dog is a valuable asset. But a poorly trained one can ruin a hunt. I've been a part of both.

That many last year.... pry 8 days total of. Private. 3 of them in sd. 5 in mn. Another 10 days of public in sd and pry 40 days public in mn. Stacks of 10

Attachments

• Resized_Snapchat-556059283.jpeg
    Resized_Snapchat-556059283.jpeg
    590.1 KB · Views: 36
Back