Had a weird comment...Thoughts

Thats the reason I can't get into field trials. :thumbsup:

Seems like a lame reason. Why let one bad apple form your opinion of field trials. There are people like this everywhere. In your community, your church, etc. We live with people like this throughout our lives. You just have to learn to ignore them. For the most part the guys at the NSTRA trials I attend are all great guys and fun to be around, but once in awhile you do run into a "bad apple".

Seems like a lame reason. Why let one bad apple form your opinion of field trials. There are people like this everywhere. In your community, your church, etc. We live with people like this throughout our lives. You just have to learn to ignore them. For the most part the guys at the NSTRA trials I attend are all great guys and fun to be around, but once in awhile you do run into a "bad apple".

Very true. I didn't let him ruin my day, but me being an amateur at the trial thing. (The only one I do is this fundraiser fun trial once a year) And this is the second time I've placed in it. I just thought that maybe I had violated an unspoken rule. Like maybe not an illegal move but something that is frowned upon. The comment was directed at me that I needed to have more control of the dog. Like when I healed her afterwards she sort of jogs little circles around me because she is still wound tight. And I smack the tailgate and say "load" and she jumps right up in there where he made his dog sit and he picked it up and put it in the truck. I think it was more sour grapes than anything. She did well beyond my expectations and had way more compliments than bad remarks. Everyone there seemed like great people. SOme are just more competitive than others.

My comment isn't designed to start an argument, some may agree with me, but I find that the family of folks who raise hunting dogs, can be some of the most opinionated and stubborn people on the planet. In my limited experience, even among breeders of the same breed, the guy you're talking to at the moment is the ONLY one who knows what he's doing with breeding, training, hunting techniques, etc. The others are all idiots.

I don't know why this is and it has driven me batty when looking for a new pup and such. You would think people breeding the same dogs would have a lot in common and work together for the good of the breed. I've also seen similar behavior in field trial people when talking about the other dogs and their owners they've run against.

Most of you on here are probably a lot like me. I've owned and hunted behind dogs my entire life. I've tried to learn training and such as I went along, hope I've come to know a thing or two. My dogs have never been perfect, but they've been good, productive hunting dogs that I've been happy with. I've met a lot of people who use different training techniques and those seem to work fine for them. Who's to say one technique is better than another? Just like breeds. To each his own and it fits the personality.

It sounds like you've got a good dog that you're happy with. That's what counts the most. The guy at the trial sounds like a dick. Shake your head and move on.

A few things come to mind.
The only thing two dog trainers can agree on is "the third trainer is wrong".

A quote from an old field trailer. "When you get a gift say thank you and walk away, when you get screwed walk away. You will get far more screwings". Lance Brown.

Dog people like all dogs, and very few people! If you only show up at one trial a year don't expect to be accepted! The dog world can be a tough nut to crack, but when you do the rewards are handsome! The best people in my life are fellow trainers whom I thought were asses when I first met them.

A quote from an old field trailer. "When you get a gift say thank you and walk away, when you get screwed walk away. You will get far more screwings". Lance Brown.

Dog people like all dogs, and very few people! If you only show up at one trial a year don't expect to be accepted! The dog world can be a tough nut to crack, but when you do the rewards are handsome! The best people in my life are fellow trainers whom I thought were asses when I first met them.

Well said Gatzby!

I have read on other forums recently where folk involved in trials wonder why their numbers are declining and why they have difficulty attracting more people. I wonder if this approach contributes?

Which side?

You are by yourself. You have one lab.It is mid November.You are on public land.you come to a row of Russian olive trees.These trees are 15 feet tall.They go got half a mile, no breaks.The wind is blowing 20 miles an hour. Which side of the trees, do you hunt on?

You are by yourself. You have one lab.It is mid November.You are on public land.you come to a row of Russian olive trees.These trees are 15 feet tall.They go got half a mile, no breaks.The wind is blowing 20 miles an hour. Which side of the trees, do you hunt on?

In other words, will they flush into the wind, or downwind? You have to pick a side.I run into this situation ALL THE TIME.

I have read on other forums recently where folk involved in trials wonder why their numbers are declining and why they have difficulty attracting more people. I wonder if this approach contributes?

I attended an AKC judging seminar a few weeks ago. According to Jerry Mann the order of popularity in AKC performance events:

Agility far and away the most popular
Beagle FT #2 (this really surprised me)
Retriever HT #3
Retriever FT #4

As this was a retriever judging seminar he stopped there. I think the explosion in HT popularity is a big part in FT's decline, difficulty for an Am with 1 or 2 dogs to compete against a Pro with 10-12 dogs, and the intimidating reputation of FT's all add up. There are no partipation trophies, or room for thin skin!

Not my thing for a few reasons, least of which the attitudes of some, the politics, and the fact it's fake.

But just my .02 .... not my cup of tea. But if someone likes to do it I fully respect their devotion, I haven't enjoyed the 2 or 3 I've went to.

My comment isn't designed to start an argument, some may agree with me, but I find that the family of folks who raise hunting dogs, can be some of the most opinionated and stubborn people on the planet. In my limited experience, even among breeders of the same breed, the guy you're talking to at the moment is the ONLY one who knows what he's doing with breeding, training, hunting techniques, etc. The others are all idiots.

I don't know why this is and it has driven me batty when looking for a new pup and such. You would think people breeding the same dogs would have a lot in common and work together for the good of the breed. I've also seen similar behavior in field trial people when talking about the other dogs and their owners they've run against.

Most of you on here are probably a lot like me. I've owned and hunted behind dogs my entire life. I've tried to learn training and such as I went along, hope I've come to know a thing or two. My dogs have never been perfect, but they've been good, productive hunting dogs that I've been happy with. I've met a lot of people who use different training techniques and those seem to work fine for them. Who's to say one technique is better than another? Just like breeds. To each his own and it fits the personality.

It sounds like you've got a good dog that you're happy with. That's what counts the most. The guy at the trial sounds like a dick. Shake your head and move on.

Im on my first bird dog/pup currently so I don't have a ton experience here although Im learning a TON lately and picking it up seamlessly. Ive spent my life outdoors one way or another, made my living fishing for a little while etc..

One of the saddest thing to me is what you described but Ive noticed across all outdoor sports. Heck, Ive seen people be competitive about camp grounds and spots/setups! Talk about a stick up your @#$ or Im better than you mentality! Lol

Im only 34 but about 10 years ago something clicked for me and realized no matter what Im doing in life or competing in...I am competing against my self...not you.

Some advice i got from an old timer long ago that's proved true way more than not is, "always trust the hunter with the longest nose"........so I prefer to follow the dog. :D

Some advice i got from an old timer long ago that's proved true way more than not is, "always trust the hunter with the longest nose"........so I prefer to follow the dog.
MOBirds, that is absolutely priceless ... :) :)

Yes, and if you turn up as a novice triallist with a good dog don't expect any of the old hands to praise your dog or shake your hand ...

Some advice i got from an old timer long ago that's proved true way more than not is, "always trust the hunter with the longest nose"........so I prefer to follow the dog.
MOBirds, that is absolutely priceless ... :) :)

Yes, and if you turn up as a novice triallist with a good dog don't expect any of the old hands to praise your dog or shake your hand ...

In the years I've been running horseback brittany trials, my experience has been the opposite of yours. Especially in regards to the "old timers".

Gumboot, that is really good, because here you can often feel quite intimidated ... which is a real shame. So I just let my dog do the talking so to speak!!

About the comment. I think the guy was actually trying to be a little funny. Saying that the handler should take more charge of the dog that just beat him would mean that the handler didn't really do a whole lot. It was all the dog.

Back