Had a weird comment...Thoughts

I went to a fun trial a couple weekends ago. It is a fundraiser for a local gamefarm that brings in injured vets and kids that would never get a chance to hunt. Good way to spend the day and a $100. Have participated in it for a few years now. I'm not a trial guy by any means and I only participate in this one and another usually per year. Both are for charities. I ran a gsp that I am training for a guy. She is almost finished, has a lot of energy, so I ran her just to see how she would do in the field with another dog that she doesn't know. She did well. Got 2nd in the amateur derby. Found 5 and got credits on honors for the 2 that the other dog found. Retrieved well. People were complimenting her afterward while we were eating lunch and the guy that I was braced with said that "I shouldn't let the dog dictate the hunt so much." I was a little confused on his comment. I thought the whole point was to follow the dog and say as little as possible to it. I didn't hardly say a word other than o.k. to release her from a back. She did range more than his dog so she got to a lot of birds first. His dog didn't want to honor her either. The guy had to stop it. He talked a lot more than me also. The field was almost 20 acres so more than enough room to separate. Last time they had it on a 10 acre patch. Anyone else know what he's talking about. I didn't argue much with him other than I said my job is to train the dog then follow it. He chuckled like I was violating an unspoken rule. Or maybe he was mad that he and his dog got smoked! I took the time to let his dog come over and honor. Waited for the nod from a judge before i went in to flush. But she did have to backtrack to get one. She passed it up then worked back. I don't know if he thought I should have called her off and back to me or what? Thoughts...

I went to a fun trial a couple weekends ago. It is a fundraiser for a local gamefarm that brings in injured vets and kids that would never get a chance to hunt. Good way to spend the day and a $100. Have participated in it for a few years now. I'm not a trial guy by any means and I only participate in this one and another usually per year. Both are for charities. I ran a gsp that I am training for a guy. She is almost finished, has a lot of energy, so I ran her just to see how she would do in the field with another dog that she doesn't know. She did well. Got 2nd in the amateur derby. Found 5 and got credits on honors for the 2 that the other dog found. Retrieved well. People were complimenting her afterward while we were eating lunch and the guy that I was braced with said that "I shouldn't let the dog dictate the hunt so much." I was a little confused on his comment. I thought the whole point was to follow the dog and say as little as possible to it. I didn't hardly say a word other than o.k. to release her from a back. She did range more than his dog so she got to a lot of birds first. His dog didn't want to honor her either. The guy had to stop it. He talked a lot more than me also. The field was almost 20 acres so more than enough room to separate. Last time they had it on a 10 acre patch. Anyone else know what he's talking about. I didn't argue much with him other than I said my job is to train the dog then follow it. He chuckled like I was violating an unspoken rule. Or maybe he was mad that he and his dog got smoked! I took the time to let his dog come over and honor. Waited for the nod from a judge before i went in to flush. But she did have to backtrack to get one. She passed it up then worked back. I don't know if he thought I should have called her off and back to me or what? Thoughts...

Sounds like he was objecting to the amount of range and latitude that you employed in the hunt/test. Your dog roamed more?? Apparently his dog wasn't allowed that latitude; maybe yours sort of controlled the hunt...guess it's best to ask for clarity!

The guy ran 3 different dogs. Don't know that any of them placed. May have been frustration on his part. But when I said follow the dog he acted like it was a stupid statement. The dog I ran didn't do much roaming. There was scent littered in the field. She pretty much went from bird to bird. We did pass one by in the beginning where we started. She back tracked about 100 yards to point it for her last bird. But other than that she ran the same range as all the rest of the english pointers, gsps, etc. This guy had brittany's. And they stayed pretty close.

It sounds like a guy who's opinion is meaningless.

It sounds like your dog did well as she placed and you were happy with the performance.

The way things are now most people think they have a valid opinion and that opinion needs to be heard.

Sour grapes. He wanted to shade your success.

Sounds like a sore loser to me. He should have been congratulating you on how your dog did. I'd blow him off. When I was first running NSTRA trials an old veteran trialer was very friendly towards me. Then I got braced against him and my young dog beat his champion dog and the guy wouldn't talk to me. Just the way some guys are.

I agree the guy sounds like he was trying to be smart a** and maybe try to say your dog was outta control maybe???

Lot of the hunt test or trail dogs are robots hunting 95%+ placed dummy birds they are kinda trained to cover every inch of fields vs just finding birds pointing & retrieving ...

Sounds like more people liked your dogs performance then agreed with that 1 snob???

Yeah supposedly he is a seasoned veteran on the circuit. The other thing is, its for charity. Fun trial. You do win money but everyone donates it back.

Yeah supposedly he is a seasoned veteran on the circuit. The other thing is, its for charity. Fun trial. You do win money but everyone donates it back.

Yeah guy sounds lame talk trash at a charity event lol.

Should of seen a few of the jerks at my dogs NAVHDA NA test lol I was green was told don't train ur dog b4 hand its no big deal its all about natraral ability get to test guys had there dogs at trainers for 4-6 wks prior & cheered like they hit the lottery when dog placed high... Talked about others dogs like nobody need a dog that big etc. All were trail guys & breeders

Had a judge tell me them dogs pretty much reached there abilities I'd take ur dog over them lol so I trained my dog my self soon after ....

I follow. Couple weeks ago, the pack was heading north. All of a sudden my shorthair cuts across a corn field to the next draw. My first instinct was to call him and finish out the draw. I didn't. He must have followed covey scent across the field. Nice big covey. Following is easy with Astro.

She's not mine. Gotta give her back in a couple weeks. But she is a good dog. 2 years old. Good build. Good in the house and in the field...

Legally he is not my dog. He belongs to my vet. Before his trainer died, the dog stayed with the trainer. Lots of game farm work. The dog stays with me. All vet work paid for. He gets the dog a week or so during the season. So far hunting has not been good enough to draw him away from duck hunting so he has not used the dog. He also pointed a rooster that day.

Guy just gave me a nice one year old britt.

As soon as I find a hot spot, I get him on some birds.

This guy is interested in breeding her. She is roan but has the softer hair. Solid liver head. She is in heat at the moment. She has been in for a week. He said he would like to wait until the next cycle. My little setter just came in heat too for the first time. I wish the vizsla would sync up already. She missed hers. And she's the one im trying to have bred!! Go figure

Legally he is not my dog. He belongs to my vet. Before his trainer died, the dog stayed with the trainer. Lots of game farm work. The dog stays with me. All vet work paid for. He gets the dog a week or so during the season. So far hunting has not been good enough to draw him away from duck hunting so he has not used the dog. He also pointed a rooster that day.

Guy just gave me a nice one year old britt.

As soon as I find a hot spot, I get him on some birds.

I'm always kinda looking for a bird dog or 2. My buddy is actually looking he likes the rescue idea more then myself but if there ever a bird dog in need of a home post it or PM if ud like...

Only going to hunting homes of course

Back