Do you talk to your dog when hunting?

12gaugedust

Just wondering if anyone talks to their dog while they are out in the field? Ive been told not to speak to him, as in hunt em out, find the bird, stuff like that. Maybe an occasional good boy, and the here command. Just wanted some insight on it!

A lot of talking really is not helping the dog. They don't understand much of what is said.

I try not to do too much talking, other than commands. Come, or here .... and I give as few commands as possible, the dogs are the one's with the noses.

But with an older dog that know the game, it will not hurt much.

When I stop for a break in the field I'll as JP what he thinks, say nice weather, ask where we should go next etc. He seems to understand it all and it doesn't effect his hunting much lol :cheers:

hell yeah.....he's the only one that wont tell anybody what I've told him!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: my dog could blackmail the crap out of me

hell yeah.....he's the only one that wont tell anybody what I've told him!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: my dog could blackmail the crap out of me

:10sign::D

I talk to my lab all the time while in the duck blind. She may not know what I am saying but she knows I am paying attention to her. If someone ever came across me I am sure they would think I was nuttier than pet coon!

With my pointer I will tell him "good boy" when he comes back to check in with me. I'll yell his name when I want to change directions or if he is hunting somewhere I don't want him to be or be yet. If I want him to come to me it's his name then "here". I'll talk to him while taking a break too. Other than that I let him conduct business.

Oh I guess there is the times when birds are far and few between (like this year) and he starts deer hunting I will tell him to bury that fox hound deep, deep inside him and never let it rise out again. LOL!!

I don't say much to my pointers. Never found a need to

Hunted ONCE with a trialer that was constantly "singing" to his dog. I had an almost uncontrollable urge to strap an e-collar around his neck and do some avoidance training!

Rarely. Maybe a couple words if I'm changing direction but that's it. They come in on their own if they need water, don't use whoa, so... Not much to say really.

"Go," "whoa," "heel," "come," and "good dog" when he drops a bird in a my hand. That's about it.

Try to be as quiet as possible in the field to avoid spooking birds. Dogs respond to hand signals and if necessary, the whistle, using only come and whoa. Otherwise talk to my kids every chance I get, they are great listeneners, never argue, :thumbsup:bitch or complain. They love me unconditionally! They leave it all in the field, truly a best friend to us!

As an aside, I'll sing to my dogs too, but not when I'm hunting. Running or training yes. Hunting, no.

Yes. Pheasant hunting I use a quiet 'hissing' whistle (just with my mouth, no actual whistle) if she's close to me - it's almost a "pssst". Funnily enough, we've developed "hssst" as a sit-'hiss' when she's close to me. I'll say "get in there" or "hunt him up" but that's when she's close to me as well (not yelling it - if she's too far to say it quietly, I will use a regular whistle to stop her or bring her to heel).

Waterfowling, I might say some other stuff once in a while. The attached is an old video on the occasion of her first goose at 8 months of age... It was putting up a bit of a fight and it also happened to be MY first goose (ever) so I was......... a little excited ('scuse my language!).

"Dont take any its just a goose"

Thats a classic line me boy!:thumbsup:

LOL - brings a tear to yer eye - don't it? I remember seeing her struggling to fight the Bay of Fundy tide at the same time as that giant big goose and deciding that she needed all the encouragement that I could muster!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a word. I will use my body or the tone on the collar to direct the dogs. If it is an emergency I can blow a whistle and my male will hit the dirt! But that is about it.

I do atta boys though.

I talk to my dogs. If they've missed something I'd like them to look over I'll point it out, a little whistle if they're getting to rangey, and the "in" command I use to get them to go into the ditches we hunt.

I did hunt with a guy earlier this season who had one of those booming high decibel voices. He screamed at his dog all day long and scared the shit out of me and my younger dog who doesn't like yelling. He couldn't help it just how his voice is but every time he opened his mouth I imagined every pheasant with in 1/2 mile running for cover!

I talk to my dogs as well. Not a lot, but I do talk to them.

Sometimes I have my own fun..."Hey you...were you goin? Pheasants don't like ponds.". "Come on. There's not enough meat on a mouse." "Look at that azzhole!". "Bet you could kick that pointers azz".

Most important words...GOOD GIRL! they get a lot of that, and love every minute of it.

I talk to my dogs as well. Not a lot, but I do talk to them.

Sometimes I have my own fun..."Hey you...were you goin? Pheasants don't like ponds.". "Come on. There's not enough meat on a mouse." "Look at that azzhole!". "Bet you could kick that pointers azz".

Most important words...GOOD GIRL! they get a lot of that, and love every minute of it.

that's some funny stuff :thumbsup:! i don't mind talking with my dogs either. what the heck it's not like we're at work and gonna get in trouble. although it might get me thrown in the looney bin :D ! :cheers:

I talk to my dogs. If they've missed something I'd like them to look over I'll point it out, a little whistle if they're getting to rangey, and the "in" command I use to get them to go into the ditches we hunt.

I did hunt with a guy earlier this season who had one of those booming high decibel voices. He screamed at his dog all day long and scared the shit out of me and my younger dog who doesn't like yelling. He couldn't help it just how his voice is but every time he opened his mouth I imagined every pheasant with in 1/2 mile running for cover!

two words........duct tape!

Back