Do you talk to your dog when hunting?

I talk to my dogs as well. Not a lot, but I do talk to them.

Sometimes I have my own fun..."Hey you...were you goin? Pheasants don't like ponds.". "Come on. There's not enough meat on a mouse." "Look at that azzhole!". "Bet you could kick that pointers azz".

Most important words...GOOD GIRL! they get a lot of that, and love every minute of it.

I see nothing wrong at all with talking to the dog.

Now when the dog starts talking back, that is where I draw the line.:)

Matt D

Well, it wouldn't help your shooting if every time you brought the gun up shoot your dog started barking ;)

You know how to shoot and if you suck, your dog is not going to give you any advice the with help. Its the same with you "barking" at you dog when they are trying to hunt. :D

Matt D,Funny thing my labs have been pretty quite, but the Siberian Husky's will carry on a full conversation with you if talk to them, ps them always have to have the last word, just like my wife. Sorry hunny!

Drives me nuts when my buddy is constantly talking to his dog. All the dog understands is blah, blah, blah, (dog's name) blah, blah, blah. I call the dogs name to get their attention and then point which way I want them to go. The older they get the less you need to talk. I like to hunt late season and the quieter you are the better.

Got a buddy who constantly yells "Too far!!" at his untrained GSPs. Really clears the field of those undesireable easily panicked birds.

During breaks & after he makes a retrieve. Apart from that, communication is via collar tones & visual cues when necessary.

Back