Do you shoot coyotes while pheasant hunting?

remy3424

I used to, on occasion, shoot a coyote while pheasant hunting, thinking I was helping the birds. I have stopped do this for 2 reasons. First, I have read more about coyotes and their diet, it seems that much more of their diet is made up by the typical nest raiders that do damage. That is reason enough, but the second reason is SAFETY. I discourage anyone hunting with me from shooting anything on the ground, It is just a bad idea, especially if you are hunting with a dog. A couple years ago my hunting bubby took a shot at a running winged rooster. As he pulled-up and took aim, his dog got through the fence and was bearing down on the bird, luckily he missed both...I thought his dog was a goner, but it caught the bird. I don't necessarily follow the "blue sky rule", but the lower the shot, the more risk is involved to non-intended targets.

Below is a link to a recent PF article about coyotes and their typical diets. A little food for thought. Might be worth reconsidering shooting or letting the coyotes walk. I know sometimes the attitudes of the landowner plays into shooting or not.

Last edited:
Can't say I've seen a coyote while pheasant hunting, but I think it's hard to argue with the article's point that the impact of nest predators (raccoons, possums, etc.) wiping out a dozen eggs is greater than that of more typical single-bird mortality from coyotes. Of course, hens can typically re-nest once or twice a year, but the same result can happen again. I'm thinking of getting into trapping to target nest predators before nesting season this year.

Fur bearers kind of have a free pass as trappers aren't likely trapping, with the 2 biggest fur buying countries currently at war with each other...no market for most fur right now. Just a heads-up, the nest raiders have trapping seasons that (in Iowa) begin the first weekend in Nov. Several years ago I trapped a few coons and snagged 2 mink also, it sure didn't hurt anything...even then, the fur prices didn't pay for the fuel.

Ah, good thing you mentioned the season opening. I kind of assumed it was open all year for raccoons and the like but found out it’s only a month longer in WI. :(

Gotcha on the prices. Not really interested in the market - just trying to save a few eggs if I can.

Back in the day, I shot a few coyotes that jumped out of the brush.I haven't shot one in 20 years.i probably have shot 4 in my life. I should have shot this raccoon I called in while turkey hunting last spring, but I don't do that anymore either.

I have shot two of them in about 15 years while pheasant hunting. I was paid $25 for each of them by a local trapper/taxidermist. This past season I saw a red fox and a gray fox. They were both within range, but running. Never even raised my gun or considered shooting.

I know for a fact that coyotes prey on feral cats. I saw one destroy a big black cat while I was deer hunting this season on an open bean field. I would take a feral cat with my shotgun, given the chance, every time.

Twice I've had my hunting partner flush a coyote the dogs had pointed and the coyote almost ran over me while watching my partner. On both occasions I let the coyote know I was there when they were about 15 feet away by jumping at them and hollering. Both flopped onto their side still trying to run and kicking dirt in my face. I was laughing so hard I couldn't have shouldered the gun! It's interesting what a dog will point. I've had coyote, bobcat, badger, raccoon, skunk, and possum! Also get the occasional box turtle shell.

I feel bad peppering one and then watching him run away. This time of year I see quite a few and usually they are playing dog games.

Over the years our group have seen many coyotes in Kansas, North Dakota, South Dakota, Canada. Usually found in wide open spaces and easy to see. Not as many seen in Iowa, Minnesota or Wisconsin. We leave them alone. Tough winters and mange control their numbers. I have seen hawks intercept pheasants and huns in mid flight, impressive. Grounds birds have many challenges to survive. For guys still hunting, remove those roosters. Good Luck

Coyotes get a pass, primarily for safety but also because I'm hoping they'll eat their fill of raccoons, possums, skunks, etc. Coyotes will certainly eat pheasants and quail, they're not very good bird hunters. My dogs have pointed two of them this year. The dogs get a different sort of look on their face when they're pointing a coyote.

I have but I don't anymore, it feels a little to much like shooting a dog. Plus there are a lot of risks involved, for the gundogs and hunting companions.

No, I shot one once. It looked too much like a dog. Then I read a study similar to the one above that Remi posted. I was surprised to find out that skunks were the #1 nest predator of quail nests in our neck of the woods!
Not that I'm a coyote lover as I've had them try to get young dogs twice. Once in the yard. Made my hairs stand on end. I now keep a rifle handy. Had one trot through the yard yesterday. I will not hesitate if I have to!

At the in laws over Christmas. They have an extremely healthy yote population that feed primarily (I assume) off the dead hog piles. There was a couple inches of snow overnight and the following morning showed 3-4 sets of yote tracks and 2 bird kills.

Twice I've had my hunting partner flush a coyote the dogs had pointed and the coyote almost ran over me while watching my partner. On both occasions I let the coyote know I was there when they were about 15 feet away by jumping at them and hollering. Both flopped onto their side still trying to run and kicking dirt in my face. I was laughing so hard I couldn't have shouldered the gun! It's interesting what a dog will point. I've had coyote, bobcat, badger, raccoon, skunk, and possum! Also get the occasional box turtle shell.
One time I flushed a vole, and it scared the hell out of me!!

Nope. I shot a coyote about 40 years ago. Felt bad about it. Haven't considered it since. I'm glad we don't see more skunks while pheasant hunting, but on the other hand, I wish we'd see more. I'd shoot every one of those miserable things. They're tied with mosquitoes for the most useless creatures on Earth.

I shoot coyotes because it keeps me in the good graces of the ranchers and farmers who allow me to hunt on their properties. They ask me to shoot coyotes so I shoot coyotes.
Same for us. Also told to shoot any of the nest robbing types that we see

Back