Curious...Hunter or Shooter?

dukxdog

Are you a Pheasant hunter walking (often miles) to take your birds or a Pheasant shooter who is in a party pushing and blocking crops, fields or coverts? Dogs are optional for both.

How many guys do you hunt with during the day? groups of 2-3 or four or more in one party?

Was just wondering. Thanks for input.

Hunter. Mostly hunt by myself during the week due to schedule. Sometimes my son if he's home. The dog work is the best part. I just walk around behind the dog while she hunts.

Hunter. Prefer solo but hard to bet shooting the breeze with good company 2-3 guys at most and as many dogs as possible.

Hunter majority of the time. I work quite a few weekends so often it is just the dog and I. On weekends my dad usually comes with. I do get invited to be a shooter once or twice a year. Which I accept because it's nice to be around friends. I tend to be a better shot than most when we go as I make it out more often. I will shoot my three then wait to shoot another until others have had a shot at it. Then if they miss I try and clean up after them.

Hunter... I prefer my outings to have the dogs outnumber the hunters. Typically solo,with one to three GSPs.

Hunter, I mainly hunt solo or either with my son or a good buddy. Dog work is by far the best part of the hunt.

Hunter - just the dog & I.

Hunter. Just ask my legs. A saying: "You don't get pheasants with your gun. You get them with your legs."

I am a bird dog guy. I hunt on my own with the dogs or a friend or family member. My favorite way to hunt pheasants is to turn a couple of dogs loose in a big grass field or tall wheat stubble, and let them go find a point the birds.

Hunter shooter

I must be a hunter cuz im solo with one dog 90% of the time. I know Im not a shooter. I missed three roosters yesterday up by Milbank that my dog had pinned down for me. They got up between my legs they were so close burrowed in the snow. I was a complete piece of garbage behind the gun yesterday. My dog knows i suck too, and that hurts. Maybe today better. Geez it was cold yesterday and stiff nw wind. I told my dog i had too many clothes on and thats why i missed. She aint buyin it.

I'm definitely a hunter. 95% of the time I'm alone with one of my dogs. And if I can't bring my dog, I don't come.

Although the past two years my family has started the season with a game farm hunt, which I've always called a "pheasant shoot."

I'm a hunter. If I can watch my dogs get some good work, I don't even care if I shoot. The experience of the hunt is what I'm after and watching good dogs is a pure joy.

Party hunting is a very old tradition here in South Dakota. It is a time for family and friends to get together to enjoy hunting and each others company. Growing up back in the 60's and 70's no one I new from South Dakota owned a hunting dog. Back then most of the hunting dogs came in from out of state. I still know families that get together every year and do this. I myself have dogs now, I enjoy hunting them and watching them work. My heart breaks every time I have to say good bye to one of them. That being said I would give them up for a chance to go back "party" hunting with my family and friends again. I'm very disappointed in the fact that these people are being stereotyped as shooters and not hunters.

I don't think there is anything negative associated with the term "Shooter". After all, a shooter is also a hunter. I think this thread got started in an attempt to try and define a difference between those that prefer hunting in groups doing a lot of drives and having posters to those that prefer to hunt alone or with one or two others and basically follow their dogs in the field. Maybe it was a poor choice of words to use the term "Shooter". Whatever, it's a matter of what style of hunting you prefer. Nothing wrong with either. While I prefer to hunt alone or in a small group that doesn't mean I don't or won't participate in a group hunt with friends on occasion. Not my preferred way of hunting but i generally have a good time. So see, we can be both shooters and hunters and still enjoy the great sport of pheasant hunting. Enjoy!

Party hunting is a very old tradition here in South Dakota. It is a time for family and friends to get together to enjoy hunting and each others company. Growing up back in the 60's and 70's no one I new from South Dakota owned a hunting dog. Back then most of the hunting dogs came in from out of state. I still know families that get together every year and do this. I myself have dogs now, I enjoy hunting them and watching them work. My heart breaks every time I have to say good bye to one of them. That being said I would give them up for a chance to go back "party" hunting with my family and friends again. I'm very disappointed in the fact that these people are being stereotyped as shooters and not hunters.

I agree. I would trade much to allow me to push a couple fields with my uncle's and father. Or enjoy the back of that old wagon as we drive the caravan across Kansas. I do enjoy hunting with me and just the dog or one son, but I also enjoy watching guy;s share some good hunting that have maybe not had the benefit of some of the hunts I have had over the years. BTW I would rather hunt all day and shoot a few birds, then hunt for two days and not shoot at all. If I don't care about shooting, why carry a gun?

Back