Boots

Spend the money, get a pair of Kenetreks. I'm on year 3 of heavy use and they are unbelievable. I have the mountain extremes. Irish setters and Danners are great boots. But they just don't compare to a pair of Ken's.

I too have had Irish Setters and Danners, still to this day have 2 pairs. Made the jump this fall to Kenetreks. I will say it hurt buying them as they are not a cheap boot at almost $500 a pair. I went with the un-insulated as my feet never get cold in the winter when walking. I will say they do require some break in which I am currently working on before this season starts next weekend. I liked my setters and danners but after 2 seasons each the seams are coming apart on both pairs which I have shoe goed them back together but decided to give these Kenetreks a try and hoping they last me 10+ years! we shall see..... They are a extremely comfortable boot out of the box just extremely stiff.

Several years ago I bought a pair of Kenetreks. I will say they have to be the best built boot I've ever seen. However, they were just too stiff for me and upland hunting. But then, I'm an old greezer and the older I get the more fickle my feet become. When I was young I could put on any pair of boots and be just fine. Now it seems difficult to find a comfortable pair of boots. Right now the Irish Setter Havoc Upland boots are working the best, FOR ME! Everyone's feet are different so go with what works best for you. There are a lot of very good boots on the market today, you just have to find the right one.

I am older and my feet hurt, to much concrete in my younger years. All I wear now is the Irish setter havocs most comfortable boot I ever put on. I have very high arches and put in extra arch support with a nice insole. Saves my feet from getting to sore they are great boots for me.

Whats everyone wearing for boots while stomping across the prairies? I am looking for a waterproof, long lasting, and most important, comfortable boot.

Had replied to this thread previously but came to mind as I was loading my trailer—and after cleaning up my boots—
One what I will need or use during the season:

1. Pair Rockey ultra lite kangaroo—non insulated
2. Pair of Danner pronghorn—uninsulated
3. Pair of Danner 400 gram.
4. Pair of Meindl light insulation
5. Browning/Cabela’s Browning heavy insulation
6. Pair of Muck boots—just in case of wet/slush/mud-

And expect to probably wear all except for maybe the mucks before season is over

After years of aching feet due to cheap or improper boots. I just punched the ticket on a set of Irish Setter Wingshooter 838s. There are a ton of reviews, and most of the bad ones are due to improper use. We will see how they are afteer they are broke in.

I mainly wear Filson Uplanders (US made) or my Cabela's kangaroo ultralites. I much prefer the Filson's.

I have both the Danner Pronghorn and Danner Sharptail in the kit and am starting the 3rd season with both. I would pick the Pronghorn over the Sharptail because it has held up better. Both are Gore-Tex lined, but neither are waterproof at this point. The Sharptail actually never kept me dry and Danner was going to send me a new pair but there were other concerns so I never took their offer. The Sharptail sole flexes more and at the end of a long day the bottom of my feet are always sore from boot flex. I typically wear the Pronghorn in uneven terrain and the Sharptail on the flats. I ordered the USA made Grouse 8 from Danner yesterday and hope to have a better wearing boot.

View attachment 8566
View attachment 8567
View attachment 8568
View attachment 8569

Been interested in this thread, needing a new pair of boots for this year. Needed for deer, pheasant and duck hunting (when not in waders). Ended up buying the Irish Setter Vaprtrek 8 inch boot. Got the insulated ones (400 g PrimaLoft Gold). Really comfortable. Price was a consideration. Don't have the money tree growing in the backyard.

Been interested in this thread, needing a new pair of boots for this year. Needed for deer, pheasant and duck hunting (when not in waders). Ended up buying the Irish Setter Vaprtrek 8 inch boot. Got the insulated ones (400 g PrimaLoft Gold). Really comfortable. Price was a consideration. Don't have the money tree growing in the backyard.

Let us know how the Vaprtrek's work out. I've been looking at them and the new Ravine boots from Irish Setter. Need something to complement my Upland Havocs.

Danner Pronghorns are junk. They are very comfortable, but not real hunting boots. I’ve worn mine a total of 6 days...and I’d say 6 more days and I’ll probably wear through the toe.

Rocky’s have been the best boots that I have found.

I have a pair of 'll bean boots that are 30 years old!!I just bought a pair of the lined ones, which are excellent boots.

Danner Pronghorns are junk. They are very comfortable, but not real hunting boots. I’ve worn mine a total of 6 days...and I’d say 6 more days and I’ll probably wear through the toe.

Rocky’s have been the best boots that I have found.

Im on year 4 with my Pronghorns and they are still 99% waterproof. When I cross water I hustle and dont stand in it. I do clean and seal them a few times a year

I have used Russell’s in the past , they were a fantastic boot .
I have a pair of Irish Setters I wear when I know it will be dry but fir the most part I have worn Muck Boots fir the past 6 years and love them!

I was down on a ranch where the rancher wanted to come out with us and he threw on his Muck chore boots.
When I asked him about them he told me in no uncertain terms they were the best all around boot he had ever worn except when riding !
He walked with us all day and we got into some wet stuff .
I bought a pair and have not looked back !
I may try the Maine Guide boot however , u se the Kennetreks in the winter but would like a lighter liner for them if I was using them in the early fall.
DT

As a hunter, I don't think one can only have one pair of hunting boots.
I own several pairs of Cabelas boots.. everything from leather outfitter boots to camo nylon to Pac boots. Depending on the hunt and the conditions, I wear them all.
If it's dry, I wear lace-up boots in camo HD nylon boots (they're light weight & comfortable, allowing me to do a lot of walking.)
If it's raining or rained over night, I wear insulated irish setters rubber boots.

Boots have to fit properly because you'll probably be doing a lot of walking. if they don't fit, too heavy or not enough support, it will ruin your hunt and give you blisters.

Last edited:
Back