Boots

Sorel carabu, the old style, made in Canada. 'll Bean Maine hunting boots, 10 inch, shearling lined. Wolvirine, gortex, camo, around 150.00

s

I'll say what I'm NOT impressed with.......Danner Pronghorns. Comfort I suppose has been OK, & most hunters could probably get 2-4 times as many seasons from them as I got. But after 3 seasons had to have the boot repair guy redo some stitching. No way to do it w/o somewhat compromising water-proofness of the Gore-Tex. Now, just barely into season 5, the toes are completely worn through the "upper" & Tech Tuff toe cap. Might as well be wearing a pair of running shoes. But....thanks to this thread, I'll have some insight into what might work for me. I'm due right now.

Last edited:
I posted early on in this thread with a couple additions-

On an elk hunt a few weeks ago, I blew out a pair of rubber barn boots (think Lacrosse Burly knockoffs). Stopped at Tractor Supply and bought a pair of Muck Wetland's. I wore those the first day of the elk hunt. Walked several miles through downed timber and on some trails that first day. The Muck's were awesome. My feet are picky, and I had no blisters at all, socks didn't slip, I like them and will continue wearing in wet/snow conditions.

These Thorogood workboots are my daily wear to the office. Most of my time is spent walking through production plants and construction sites on concrete floors. These boots are the most comfortable I have ever had, and I've had about every brand of work boot going. Have converted a few coworkers as well. This particular model is not waterproof. I wear it hunting during dry conditions. If I didn't already have other dedicated hunting boots, I'd pick up their version with the waterproof membrane to to try them out.

Thorogood 814-4201

View attachment 8645

Whats everyone wearing for boots while stomping across the prairies? I am looking for a waterproof, long lasting, and most important, comfortable boot.

Russell Moccasin South 40 Bird Shooter

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/120th-anniversary-south-40-bird-shooter/

You will not find a better pair of boots. You will not find a more comfortable pair. Last forever, can be re-soled and naturally waterproof without goretex or other such stuff that I think simply makes your feet sweat and end up leaking at the seams.

I think I am on year 8 this year. Going to have new soles put on as I would like something more like what is in the link with more traction for getting in and out of the ditches I have to climb in and out of. The traditional soles are pretty smooth so they do not pick up much mud.

I just finished my second full year wearing non-insulated Kenetrek Mountain Extreme boots. My only regret is not buying them nearly 10 years ago when friends first recommended them. They're still on their first pair too.

Two years ago this past September I'd decided to get a pair of Russell's built. Called ahead and made a weekend trip around Lk Michigan with a stop at the Russell Moccasin factory to get have them do a fitting & make a pair. It wasn't until after they'd taken a pattern that I was told it would be 5-7 months to get my boots. I'd have been happy with the 2-3 months they'd told me on the phone, but wasn't willing to wait that long. All reports I've heard are that they are excellent boots however, just be willing to wait.

I have owned two pair of russells. Not worth the money. Triple vamp is not even what I would call water resistant. and they are heavy. Many other better boots out there.

Back