Best Upland boots

I too have a pair of Danner Grouse and they are awesome (un-insulated). I use them for upland, back-packing and outdoor works. They are probably on their 6th or 7th year and are due for a "rebuild" but I put them through a lot.

I have the exact same boots you originally posted. I have worn out two pair. I think they are the most comfortable boot I have ever owned. I absolutely love them and when I wear this pair out will go look for another exactly like them. Nothing better for me for pheasants. Not good in the snow, but that is another boot all together.

I have a pair of Danner Raptors, 400mm thinsulate. After about 10 years, I had them refurbished before last hunting season. They came back looking like new. Up here I need some insulation for cold mornings and sometimes in the snow. They are stout, great ankle support and I like the traction.

IMO the Danner boots made in China are crap. They'll leak in no time. Spending the extra cash to get a pair made in USA is worth it. It will be 27 years living here and I've only owned two pair of hunting boots in all that time. Not counting on the Pronghorns that leaked in 1 week and I returned for an upgrade to the Raptor. Before then I wore out a pair of Danner in 15 years. I would have sent them in to be refurbished, but I found I needed a larger size in my older age. How is it our hair leaves us, except for the bushy eyebrows? We get shorter, but our feet get bigger?

I just bought a pair of Irish Setter Trail Phantoms. Went to our local IS dealer and they did not have the havocs. I could not pass up the deal. the Trail Phantoms were on sale for 79.99. I wanted a little insulation in my boots. Hope i did not make a mistake for a few bucks.

boots

sat. I was in a bass pro shop, the boot salesmen was really up to speed. he new something of every pair of boots that were on the wall, like the stitching, glue,, type of leather, shanks, how long he thought they would last, pros and cons of all of them. I was truly amazed talking to him and that I had actually gone into a store and found someone that knew much of anything, that same day I was also in cabela's and their two boot people knew just about nothing and could recommend nothing, wow! what a diff

cheers

Yeah it seems rare these days that you find anyone at the big box stores that even remotely knows anything other than the basics about what their selling. But every now and then you run into one.

I used to hunt both big and small game with "hunting" boots. What I've found is that a true hiking boot is typically far superior to hunting boots when it comes to actually walking. Right now I'm using Asolo TPS 520 which are extremely lightweight, waterproof and last a long, long time. They offer a lot more support so if you step in a hole you likely won't roll an ankle. They are not cheap but are really lightweight, durable, and will last for years of daily use.

Hiking boots are far more popular in the world from a sales standpoint so there has been a lot more research, time, and money spent on making them right. Just my opinion but something worth looking into. REI also has a no hassle return policy so you can try them for 6 months and return if they don't work for you.

stickers

no problem with your comments, however at least in my part of the world, stickers, seeds etc are a killer, with hiking boots you would be changing your socks 15 time a day during a pheasant hunt

cheers

I guess I don't understand then. What does a "hunting" boot offer that a hiker doesn't? What height do you typically wear? I typically have waxed chaps with wider cuffs that "settle" and mould to the boot and I've never had an issue with stuff getting into my socks.

I'm not talking about a low top shoe but rather a mid height boot. Just curious what you're dealing with that would make my setup not work for other terrain as I travel more and more.

I guess I don't understand then. What does a "hunting" boot offer that a hiker doesn't? What height do you typically wear? I typically have waxed chaps with wider cuffs that "settle" and mould to the boot and I've never had an issue with stuff getting into my socks.

I'm not talking about a low top shoe but rather a mid height boot. Just curious what you're dealing with that would make my setup not work for other terrain as I travel more and more.

hi much of my big hunting was done with about a 6" hiking boot, most of my upland hunting in the west has been with either 8" or 9" boots. I find that because of the grasses in at least eastern Colorado and w. Kansas there are dozens of types of seeds that are looking to go for a free ride and no matter what type of pants I wear and or chaps, many of them seem to get into my socks. so I wear a higher boot, even in my dove hunting. maybe somebody else could chime in, don't think the seeds like just me, but maybe

cheers

Try hunting in a marsh and not knowing when your next step is going to take you into mid-calf water. I've hunted in South Dakota in a spot that supposedly didn't have that many birds until I hit up some cattails that were in standing water. Picked up my limit in 40 minutes out of those cattails. I think the hikers would have left you in a very cold situation that day.
I also like the versatility with rubber boots to be able to cross creeks to keep the hunt going and not to be limited in where you go (this is especially the case when hunting new grounds).
Hikers are definitely more comfortable but I would prefer to have no limitations when out hunting.

Hiking boots with low gaiters - great combination. Vasque makes a good boot - about $165. I generally don't hunt where there's standing water, so there's no need to have a tall boot.

In the winter, I use a higher gaiter, under the chaps or hunting pants, to keep out the snow and slush.

Works for me...

Boots

I think I'm a little behind on the response here but I'll give info on what I've seen. I have had many clients who's boots seemed to be the biggest issue. When I was an elk guide, I cant tell you how many people wanted to save money by buying the middle of the road boot. When purchasing a boot (I'm speaking strictly about upland hunting here) the first thing you want is a boot that matches the style of terrain, and the amount of time you spend on your feet. In Montana where one covers miles of country with water, steep terrain, etc...the boot I've found that sort of does it all is the Kennetrek Mountain Extreme Non-Insulated. It's light, tall, and Waterproof. Not to mention they have a fantastic warranty, with customer service to boot. The price tag might make you fall over, but I've had my pair for 4 years and spend days in them at a time. I haven't had a problem. I know every year they have an Ebay sale where the sale off their returned boots and you can usually get them at a 25-30% discount.

I think I'm a little behind on the response but I'll give info on what I've seen. I have had many clients who's boots seemed to be the biggest issue. When I was an elk guide, I cant tell you how many people wanted to save money by buying the middle of the road boot. When purchasing a boot (I'm speaking strictly about upland hunting here) the first thing you want is a boot that matches the style of terrain, and the amount of time you spend on your feet. In Montana where one covers miles of country with water, steep terrain, etc...the boot I've found that sort of does it all is the Kennetrek Mountain Extreme Non-Insulated. It's light, tall, and Waterproof. Not to mention they have a fantastic warranty, with customer service to boot. The price tag might make you fall over, but I've had my pair for 4 years and spend days in them at a time. I haven't had a problem. I know every year they have an Ebay sale where the sale off their returned boots and you can usually get them at a 25-30% discount.

For the price of those Kenetrek you could have a pair of handmade Russells custom fit to your exact foot measurements.

I'm kind of in GSP's corner on the quality built into boots like Kenetrek or Crispi of which I have a pair. For decades I've always worn Danner or Irish Setters, but until I tried on a pair of Crispi boots (I have the Idaho GTX) and have now worn them for a full year, the difference in not only quality but ESPECIALLY on how they support the ankle and foot is like night and day. Don't get me wrong, Danners and Redwings are decent boots, but they are clearly not in the same league as your premium boots such as Kenetreks or Crispi's. Price will always be a determining factor for many when looking at the premium boots, sticker shock may be a better description, but I'm here to tell ya, they are worth every penny and will outlast most of the others.

Last edited:
I tried a pair of the Kenetreks a few years ago. For me, they were just too stiff. Especially for upland hunting. I will say the quality of the boots was second to none. I imagine if I was 30 years younger they may have been okay but as I've gotten older I need something that feels more like a sneaker. The Irish Setter Havocs have filled that bill.

I was wondering if anyone has tried these new boots by Irish Setter called the VaprTrek? They come in uninsulated or insulated with 400 grams of Permaloft. I need a pair of boots with some insulation to go with my Upland Havocs. Might have to give these a try.

http://hunt.irishsetterboots.com/ir...t-brownmossy-oak-break-up-infinity-camouflage

SH02874_WEB

Back