Best Upland boots

I was wondering if anyone has tried these new boots by Irish Setter called the VaprTrek? They come in uninsulated or insulated with 400 grams of Permaloft. I need a pair of boots with some insulation to go with my Upland Havocs. Might have to give these a try.

http://hunt.irishsetterboots.com/ir...t-brownmossy-oak-break-up-infinity-camouflage

SH02874_WEB

I did try a pair of these on at Gander this past Friday, walked around the store a while, they are waterproof and light weight, look nice in the non-camo version but I found them to be kind of uncomfortable.
I know boots break in but typically the one that feel good at the store feel alot better down the road.

the killer for me is they don't have gore tex liners, for me that means wet feet

cheers

They have another version of GoreTex called UltraDry. So they so have a waterproof membrane. However, I never found GoreTex or any other similar liner to keep the water out if walking in wet grass or wet snow very long.

They have another version of GoreTex called UltraDry. So they so have a waterproof membrane. However, I never found GoreTex or any other similar liner to keep the water out if walking in wet grass or wet snow very long.

ya got that right but they help and many times they will make it just about through the day, they also seem to dry out faster, the other membranes and or socks used that I have tried seem to act like a sponge. headed duck hunting but I have my waders with me

cheers

Quick update on the Danner Fowler Mocs GTX in 8"- I returned from my trip to the Northwoods of Maine in which we had some great days-some very warm temperature days and some heavy steady rain days. Boots performed excellently. Complete comfort. Rain and water soaked on the exterior but interior was dry as a bone. I did treat with a standard waterproofing spray before I wore them. Birds started out strong and then they disappeared-they saved themselves for next years hunt.

Crispi Idaho's , best boots I've ever worn. Their pricey, but worth every last penny. I've got flat arches and my feet pronate. The extra support that these boots offer in the ankle area is flat out second to none and that includes anything offered by Red Wing, Danner, etc...

http://www.crispiusa.com/idaho-uninsulated-gtx.html

Can't tell for sure because they don't show a photo of the bottom on the website, but those soles look pretty aggressive for a lot of upland action. Can't see them leaving much of the gumbo-type mud on the ground.

i would like to raise the stakes in this "debate"... I have a size 16 foot, and im having a really hard time locating anything outside of knee high boots, and those things weigh way too much when you're walking 5+ miles a day... any suggestions, gents?

i would like to raise the stakes in this "debate"...I have a size 16 foot, and im having a really hard time locating anything outside of knee high boots, and those things weigh way too much when you're walking 5+ miles a day... any suggestions, gents?

I'm not sure how much you're willing to pay but you could have a pair of Russell moccasins made for you that would last you a very long time.

Russell's.

I had them make me the premium back forty bird-shooters with a country squire color pattern and added the toe cal and speed lacing.

Only change i am going to make is to use a sole with more tread pattern. I have the suggested soles and they are great for not picking up mud and weight but where I hunt we go up and down steep ditches and the traction just isn't there.

Going to send them back next Spring for a resole in something with a little more grip.

One boot that has not been mentioned is the one I wore without fail for over twenty years. The original LL Bean boot with Goretex liner and thinsulate has been a great all around boot. Dry, wet, walking, upland, etc. Never failed. Not as light as some of the newer non leather upper boots but not overly heavy either. Lifetime warranty.
If I had to pick just one boot for all uses no question these would be it.

One boot that has not been mentioned is the one I wore without fail for over twenty years. The original LL Bean boot with Goretex liner and thinsulate has been a great all around boot. Dry, wet, walking, upland, etc. Never failed. Not as light as some of the newer non leather upper boots but not overly heavy either. Lifetime warranty.
If I had to pick just one boot for all uses no question these would be it.

LL Bean has 20% off and free shipping right now, I just ordered a pair of the Bean boots for $103 shipped. They're on back order until April but I can't wait to get them and start breaking them in.:cheers:

My latest discovery that I have added to all of my boots for the past year or two both hunting and otherwise is a pair of UGG's sheep fur insoles. $15.00 and the amount of comfort and warmth they add to any boot is amazing.

If the land is more wet or damp than dry, it's LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoes, 12", for me. If it's dry, I really like my Irish Setter Havocs.

Back