Best Upland boots

Alright guys I need some opinions. I blew my Irish Setters out last fall and need to get a new pair of kicks for the upcoming season. A little bit of info to help paint the picture.

1st the boots will start the season out in the South Carolina dove fields. Then they will travel north the 1st week or so of October and spend a week hunting grouse and woodcock in northern Michigan. Then they will make the trip out west to hunt SD Roosters the opening week, and once again 5 more days around Thanksgiving. They will also be worn to church on Sundays, to the river bank, the grocery store the Mountains of NC chasing the 1 grouse that calls that area home.

For what it's worth I loved my Irish Setters, however I don't see that same style offered anymore. I am thinking now about getting these.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1358...oe-leather&attrValue_0=Brown&productId=225908

Thoughts,

Josh

If you do a little searching under the "Gear & Equipment" forum you will find other discussions on upland boots.

For the type of hunting that you are looking to do with a pair of boots I don't think you could go wrong with the Upland Havoc's. I'd find a store that stocks them and give them a try. Not that the LL Bean's and others wouldn't also be good.

Probably not enough time -- Russell Moccasin South 40 bird shooter all GOOD leather, mine have NEVER EVER leaked any water !!! very ,very comfortable

Crispi Idaho's , best boots I've ever worn. Their pricey, but worth every last penny. I've got flat arches and my feet pronate. The extra support that these boots offer in the ankle area is flat out second to none and that includes anything offered by Red Wing, Danner, etc...

http://www.crispiusa.com/idaho-uninsulated-gtx.html

That's why boot are really a personal choice and what fits you best. Everyone's feet are different. I tried the Kennetrek boots which are similar to the Crispi's and for ME and upland hunting they were way too stiff. So what works for one may not work for the other and visa versa. That's why ordering over the internet is risky without first trying the boots on. But it's good to give our poster some options.

Irish Setter wingshooter 808

Going to check out the local retailer. If he has this boot and it feels comfortable it will be my choice. I like the IS brand and this boot has the look I am looking for.

Thanks guys for your imput,

Josh

That's why boot are really a personal choice and what fits you best. Everyone's feet are different. I tried the Kennetrek boots which are similar to the Crispi's and for ME and upland hunting they were way too stiff. So what works for one may not work for the other and visa versa. That's why ordering over the internet is risky without first trying the boots on. But it's good to give our poster some options.

Your right Zeb, boots are a very personal choice just like shotguns... I just wanted to throw these out there in case someone had similar issues with their feet as I.

Personally, I have never tried Kennetreks but...

For the most part I think most guys will get sticker shock :eek: when they see the price of a boot like Crispi's or Kennetreks etc... But for me personally I can't put a price on how well they work for my feet compared to others. I've gone thru several pair of Irish Setters and various Danner's over the years and as I get older I find my self rolling my ankle more and more and those boots just weren't cuttin it. The Crispi Idaho in particular doubles as a hiking boot while being somewhat stiffer (without being too restrictive IMO) prevents me from easily rolling my ankle on uneven ground. There really is no comparison to the others in that regard.

They are light weight and with Crispi's ABSS (ankle bone support system) you can cinch them tight or not so much for personal preference. A good choice for me but maybe not for everybody.

oh.. and by the way, Scheels is a Crispi dealer if you get the itch to try some on.

Last edited:
Boots

I went with the Havocs, as well. They have a wide toe box, and for me that was necessary. You are right, though. God made folks with a different face and feet, so you gotta try on a few pair.

Face mask

Haha, that was funny. Good to see there's a sense of humor on this site. I've been wearing a Dick Cheney mask so he won't shoot me. Worked good so far.

Asolo hiking boots for around $100 off sierra trading post are the best I've found for the money. They offer more support, and are lighter than most leather hunting boots too.

I've found I have to spend a couple hundred on leather boots to last more than a couple months for me. Even a $250 pair of chippewa loggers lasted around a year for me and they were built pretty stout.

I've been happy with four pair of Danners. Danners will refurbish their boots too. I think you'd want uninsulated boots. You might take a look at the East Ridge and Grouse 8" brown models, both made in part with Cordura rather than all leather.

I spent a month determining what boot to replace my second pair of Danner Pronghorns-great boots until they changed the design in the more recent models. It was either the Danner Fowler GTX Mocs 8" or the Irish Setter Havoc moc toe model 801 in 8 ". After trying both on I went with the Danner Fowlers for this upland season-the Irish Setters always seem to rub the tongue area and heel on my foot and within minutes I felt that they would do that again even though for sheer foot/weight bearing comfort they felt awesome. To date-the Fowlers are extermely comfortable with zero break in and great support as proven by training hikes/walks. I will find out how water resistant or proof when I get up to Maine for Ruffies.

Meindl FTW. First pair of Danners good. Second Pair of Danners OK. The last pair of pronghorns = Crap. Still non as good as the high priced Meindl's.

Probably not enough time -- Russell Moccasin South 40 bird shooter all GOOD leather, mine have NEVER EVER leaked any water !!! very ,very comfortable

Russell bird shooters here. Thinking of getting a pair of south 40 minimalist for a back up pair since paving all summer in my red head's has destroyed them. I'll buy another pair of the red heads while waiting on my new Russell's.

boots

those boots look pretty classy to me. I like the style, the toe covering which are nearly a must in the west and the waterproofing. for your hunting go un insulated or at least not more than 200 mil. ya might also check out cabela's for that same style. I have had over a doz. pair from them but of late the fit and quality seems to have slipped but their prices haven't, they have taken quite a hike but still about the same as bean's. currently I am having pretty good luck with danner pronghorns

cheers

Get the one's that fit, I mean really fit. Comfortable right away. I used the llbean boots for years. Couldn't get a pair to fit my short wide feet last year. I really think they changed the way that they were made.

Bought a pair of Iris Setter Havoc boots. They are great. I have been wearing them for about a month. They fit just right, out of the box. And, the sole is a bit more agressive than the llbean boot and not as slippery.

I am going on my 9th season with these:

http://www.danner.com/grouse-8-brown.html

The have tons of miles left on them. Great for early and mid season hunting. They leave a little to be desired when the snow hits as they have no insulation. I will be getting a pair of Danner boots with insulation and as I feel they are the best boots I've ever owned.

Back