Asking For/Giving Advice

Ask whatever you have the balls to ask... If you don't ask "right", there are a few people on here who will let you know about it.:eek::cheers:

As far as giving out information, just know that whatever you type on here is archived for years and could be read by 1000's of people. So keep the posts in the forums pretty generic.

Helping folks out is good too, though. I've helped a couple people on the forum, and it has been a good experience.

I would gladly give out some honey holes (via pm of course) to any of the regulars trying to plan a trip this far west and I hope most of them would do the same. Hey, its not like a couple Cali boys with unruly springers who are used to hunting tame quail do to much damage in a couple days right?:cheers:

besides, if the cali boys running unruley springers trained on tame and slow quail, what harm would it do anyway. invite em' on over.

cheers

I both agree and disagree. Most of it on here is in the presentation. Makes a big difference in how you ask. I have seen guys here asking for info a couple weeks before the season. Wanting public spots that held birds, pretty specific areas they should try. I have helped blow those guys up. Doesn't really matter, they post a few weeks before the season and usually don't come back around. I am a firm believer that you need to earn your info a little. If you come on here and contribute to other topics, I don't mind helping a little if I can. The guy to ask on here is V-john. He has a bunch of info he doesn't mind sharing:D

I just laughed. :D

To Britlabrunner, I've been saying what you did in your post for a long time. It just led to arguements though and people probably thinking I'm a giant douchebag. Oh well. I'll probably still sleep at night. :)
Especially when you are dealing with a species like quail, which can be shot out, or run off of a place for good.

Coincidentally, I did once PM a guy on here (who actually, just offered up information in this thread) about asking if it was feasible or worth going to a particular state after a particular time of year. I didn't ask for location or anything, just if it was worth going to, like after Christmas or the first of the year...
But I got no response. Ironic, isn't it? :D

I think I'm more likely to maybe help a guy via PM, but still you just can't tell who or what you are telling...

V-John thats funny.
I got a pm from someone this winter(not V-John) who thought I was offering too much information. I didn't think I was being too specific, but if it affected him, I'm sorry.
I don't have a lot of faith in internet information. If I was going out of state, I would probably ask....and if asked I would give a starting point, and pm specifics.

sharing info

one thing, what is wrong with being friendly and helpful. beside, what i go from most of the post this winter from you all bird hunters, that complained how bad it was, what was the harm with sharing some info esp. when the places you hunted were not any good anyway, seems kinda odd to me, kinda dumb maybe giving out road numbers but east of atwood would give somebody a start

cheers

V-John thats funny.
I got a pm from someone this winter(not V-John) who thought I was offering too much information. I didn't think I was being too specific, but if it affected him, I'm sorry.
I don't have a lot of faith in internet information. If I was going out of state, I would probably ask....and if asked I would give a starting point, and pm specifics.

No offense BDC2, the info you were giving didn't make me want to jump in my truck and head your way:D

BLR, You have to understand, NO WAY are pheasant hunters asking for info going to be a problem as far as pheasant hunting and the future of pheasant hunting in North America.
I give out a ton of information. Sometimes to the GOOD guys even a "honey hole or two"
Hunters are such a minority.
So what are you after?

I agree with mnmt. I'm actually quite puzzled by this thread. Who really cares if someone gives out some info on hunting spots. I doubt most would post their "honey holes" on here anyway. But providing some general info on an area to hunt I see no problem with. I've given out info on hunting spots to quite a number of members of this forum. Am I bad for doing so? Afterall, isn't it really a personal thing? If I want to give out some info don't I have the right to do so? And conversely, if I don't want to I'm certainly not obligated to.

I ask the same question as mnmt: What are you after or trying to accomplish in even starting a thread like this?

one thing, what is wrong with being friendly and helpful. beside, what i go from most of the post this winter from you all bird hunters, that complained how bad it was, what was the harm with sharing some info esp. when the places you hunted were not any good anyway, seems kinda odd to me, kinda dumb maybe giving out road numbers but east of atwood would give somebody a start

cheers

Because with those limited bird numbers and cover, those few birds don't need the additional pressure. (especially, quail)

You take a walk in map, and in many places it's pretty easy to figure out where those spots are...

I ask the same question as mnmt: What are you after or trying to accomplish in even starting a thread like this?

Maybe off season conversation.

Maybe, some folks didn't realize the extent and "damage" that posting on the interwebz can do. The original poster posted some very good examples of what it can do. I actually find this thread interesting, unlike the "which breed is best" or should I get a "insert breed here"...

Dakotazeb-In my original post I stated you have a right to give info out. You and mnmt seem to think I started this thread to get guys to stop giving info, Not true. mnmt thinks I think this forum is a threat to my hunting. Not true. As a past State Pres. for the MN Waterfowl Ass. I know what my threats are and all the other things ie politics, habitat, money, new/old hunter retention that are needed to keep hunting alive. Both of you asked " what am I asking for" I guess I am just wondering how everybody feels on the issue.

Dakotazeb-In my original post I stated you have a right to give info out. You and mnmt seem to think I started this thread to get guys to stop giving info, Not true. mnmt thinks I think this forum is a threat to my hunting. Not true. As a past State Pres. for the MN Waterfowl Ass. I know what my threats are and all the other things ie politics, habitat, money, new/old hunter retention that are needed to keep hunting alive. Both of you asked " what am I asking for" I guess I am just wondering how everybody feels on the issue.

And like most other issues that come up it is totally a personal decision. Some will agree and some won't. No right or wrong. It sure did spark some lively response. Guess members on the site needed something to talk about as this is a slow time of year and the site has been very quiet lately. :)

The thread is somewhat intresting, can be educational, and, you can kionda get to know people by their responses. The internet can be damaging because of the # of people it can reach. On the flip side, local economys can benifet greatly from an influx of people during the hunting season. Its only going to get tougher and tougher to find land or waters to hunt/fish, and species are drastically reduced. Out here in Cali, I have witnessed this first hand in my 43 years. Very few wild pheasants left. There are shopping centers and neighborhoods, and schools where I hunted as a kid. Without access to private land, very little chance to bag a wild rooster. Still a decent pop. of Quail, the next generation may be up short.....

Dakotazeb-In my original post I stated you have a right to give info out. You and mnmt seem to think I started this thread to get guys to stop giving info, Not true. mnmt thinks I think this forum is a threat to my hunting. Not true.

i think this thread all generated from britlabrunners 1st post on the site you were telling a guy just asking general questions about wear a good spot to start a mixed bag hunt in MT you kinda bashed the guy for asking & said something to the effect of if you need a tip on wear to hunt my tip is go do your own research & its kinda lazy to ask others for help... it was a real douche thing to post for a 1st comment & not a good way to start commenting on a forum used by many hunters for help & tips...

i feel your intent on starting this thread britlabrunner but you are kinda bunching 2 different situations into 1 & blaming a guy for just asking general questions on a area the dummys are the guys that throw out a town name city name peace of public land name ETC... that dose bring unwanted attention to name specific areas & its game being hunted...

i hunt turkeys all over the country each spring & have for a few yrs now & i have also seen big mouth pro hunters blab & kinda point the viewers watching there shows to areas of the country with good turkey numbers they do it in magazines & TV shows every year & i have had writers like JIM SPENCER out the exact towns i turkey hunt in & same peace of public lands the next year the area was a zoo guys from 6 states parked at the parking area & it lead to just cut throat public land hunting not to mention trash in lots ETC... very similar to the TONY DEAN DUCK HUNTING SPOT U MENTIONED & there is guys making a living off of putting specific towns/citys regions of states on blast for all others to go hunt the worst part is hes only giving public land spots!!! he will give exact GPS coordinates to these spots??? that is really un-called for & creates heavy hunting pressure on already hard hunted public lands... it makes no sense to me??? jim spencers mentality is well i give the readers public land hunting spots i wont be going back to so they can have it??? bad mentality to have man!!!

but when a guy is just asking is such & such a county any good for hunting or is there any must hunt areas in a certin state i dont see the prob??? if somebody is dumb enough to give there GPS coordinates or exact name of a public land then i see wear somebody should tell that guy to shut up as that info will stay on-line for years & that area will get hit harder then if it was left nameless there are alot of on-line scouters each season B4 opener & they do read these post...

its all on who you ask for info look at the KS thread many guys are talking about turkeys & if they are seeing any ETC. no game hog type mentality but now look at the SD page i just asked if anybody was seeing any turkeys strut n or what not & only 1 guy out of the damn near 200 that viewed the page even left a comment they are that scared of guys finding there honey hole in SD i guess??? when i asked if anybody seen turkeys in SD this fall i think i had 2-3 people offer ideas i was surprised as all get out... had people on the SDO insider forums bash me for even asking if the prairie units in SD are worth turkey hunting in... they called me lazy & i need to do my research ETC... well i have done my research & found a area to hunt but when i called the SD game & fish & 3 biologist for that region of the state non could help me none had been to the county non had hunted the county they new nothing about the county i finely was give n a game wardens cell number & he will not answer my phone calls or return my left messages??? my last resort was to ask some SD residents & they told me im lazy & need to do my research???

so there are more guys like britlabrunner then help full guys on-line in my experience but name drop n is not help full to anybody & only leads to over crowded public land areas... that sucks no matter what state your hunting in

I think, if a contributing member of UPH wants to take a weeks vacation, go to Montana, spend a ton of money should have a good experience.
Fact is, don't plan on possession limits of birds.
Plan on having an "all around adventure"
Another fact, less then 1% of MT land mass will hold pheasants. The pubic areas and the private areas that allow bird hunting that hold pheasants are pounded!
The best hunting by far is locked up on private property.
Most all the short grass rangeland will have Huns and Sharptails. They are in bunches and scattered. You could walk miles and not see a bird or you could get into a covey right away.
For sure! your going to want to work at it.
I've known a lot of hunters over the years, going on their dream hunt to MT.
Go home and NEVER go back.
Then again it can get in your blood and you HAVE to go back.:cheers:

mnmt- In your earlier post you make some interested comments about hunting in MT. I am pretty sure, from reading all the info you have given out over the yrs, that you and I hunt the same general area. You stated that 1% of MT land mass hold phaesants. I would like to add that half of that 1% is prime hunting ground. The landscape out there is changing yearly. Not so much oil yet, but the turning over of ground. Of the over 2500 acres of private land we have. We know already as we were driving home that we will have already lost 1000 acres. We'll have access to it but it will be crop land. And yes public and private land gets hunted hard just like in any other state. So, unless somebody has private land that only they are only allowed to hunt, why would they want to give out info and potentialy might make it harder on themselves. If I met a group out there at one of my public/private spots and there stated they found this spot by using their own research. I would tell them everything I know about it. But, if they say some buddy told them about it or read about it. I would say "have a nice day"

It's all in the "details"...
As a newbie to wild pheasant hunting & CO I was helped out tremendously by guys on this forum (in far more ways than just where to go) & I in turn have tried to do the same favor within reason for others in my shoes. General regions/areas for the masses, a little more detail via PM as a fellow earns it & maybe even ONE of my honey-holes for a select few that I have learned to trust & who are willing to share/trade one of theirs with me. Transgressors (those who tell all their buddies and/or wear out one of my hard-earned private spots) are dropped like a hot potato & I happen to have been given far more than the GPS secrets of several on this forum that I have actually hunted with, which I would NEVER pass on to others or go behind their backs unless I were with them. It's COMMON SENSE, not rocket science...

Not all that worried about it really, there are plenty of other limiting factors which come into play that one only navigates his way thru with ample time & experience. Things such as what time of the season or day birds are or are NOT on a particular piece of public land, which way to enter a well-known property & where the birds will usually tend to boil out from, even places where I no longer even bother going because there are TOO MANY tattletale birds to get within shooting distance of a single one, and on & on. Heck, more than once I have sat contentedly sipping coffee in the truck watching thru binoculars while an opening-morn mass of 20-30 hunters that had beat me to the punch hastily & noisily march thru a field & come up birdless - then eased in the same field a couple hours right behind them either alone or with a friend & a dog or two, and headed back to the truck with game pouch heavy-laden. There's more than one way to skin a rooster & nobody's ever gonna get 'em all... :eek: That said, I ain't publishing a book anytime soon with which public walk-in access areas are better than all the rest & who's door to knock on! ;) :D :cheers:

Back