Asking For/Giving Advice

My advice on the forums is purty general, always honest though.:)

If I tell somebody for instance Miles City is a good home base for a hunt. It IS.
Miles City is on I 94. Get a few miles out of town in any direction and your in the "Outback" a 5,000 acre ranch out of the Valley is a Hobie farm. Nearest town South is Broadus (80 miles pop 466) Nearest town North is Jordon (85 miles pop 343)
Miles City area is bigger then some States, lots of good hunting for someone that wants to get out an explore.

No need to worry:thumbsup: I keep my inventory of "honey holes" well stocked.
You'll have to get to know me pretty well and I You to get into these.:cheers:

It's a question of etiquette and to me it's just bad manners to ask someone to give up the location of their honey holes and hotspots. General questions regarding terrain, climate and cover are fine but asking someone to mark a spot on a map crosses the line.

It's a question of etiquette and to me it's just bad manners to ask someone to give up the location of their honey holes and hotspots. General questions regarding terrain, climate and cover are fine but asking someone to mark a spot on a map crosses the line.

I would agree on an open forum type setting but in private I seen no problem in it if you have rapport built with the other person. There are a handful on here that I would ask if I were in their neck of the woods and if they weren't free to hunt with me. I'd take those same guys to my best spots or make sure they could find them.

I learned to hunt and fish before there were cell phones or the internet. I was shown how by my uncles and cousins but not where. I begged my mom to take me hunting and fishing until I could arrange other transportation and then I went with a friend eventually sleeping on the seats of my 55 Chevy and a succession of other hot rods. We went to a lot of crappy places and a lot of great ones. We got skunked more than we piled them in the pail and never had a bad experience.
None of us need the birds for food. We do it for the fun and it's enjoyment is diminished by having a lot of people hunting places where you took a lot of time and money learning about and they show up because they can type with one finger.
If there were a million pheasants in the LA Coliseum would you pay $1,000 in fuel to go there and shoot birds with 500 other guys and their dogs? I doubt it. The loneliness of plains hunting is a huge part of the experience and attraction and that is only made pedestrian by the gob of hunters that show up because they read about it.
I'll talk details with people I trust and who trust me but otherwise, no how, when or where.

A while back when I was student teaching, I took one of the teachers to a nice little place on the river where I had been catching white bass. You had to walk a ways and it was a hard place to find. A couple buddies and I stumbled upon it one year and always had the place to ourselves. Well, about 3 days after I took this guy I show up and notice 3 trucks parked in the pasture. I walk down to the river and he's there with 4 other guys. Can't fish the spot anymore cause every Spring it's overrun with fisherman. Lost a awesome fishing spot that Spring, but learned a valuable lesson.

A while back when I was student teaching, I took one of the teachers to a nice little place on the river where I had been catching white bass. You had to walk a ways and it was a hard place to find. A couple buddies and I stumbled upon it one year and always had the place to ourselves. Well, about 3 days after I took this guy I show up and notice 3 trucks parked in the pasture. I walk down to the river and he's there with 4 other guys. Can't fish the spot anymore cause every Spring it's overrun with fisherman. Lost a awesome fishing spot that Spring, but learned a valuable lesson.
I had almost the exact same thing happen with a striper spot that I showed to my best friend with the understanding that he tell nobody. After going there and finding him with 3 other guys we didn't talk for over 30 years. We go fishing again now but I still won't show him some things.

I think you kind of understand where I'm coming from. I'm all for helping a guy out too. Albeit it will be small help. And not on a puplic forum. A little about my group so you don't put us in the rude/disrespectful category. In all the years out there we have never hunted on land where we didn't ask first. All Ranches who let us hunt get token of our appreciation ie hand harvested wild rice, gopher/viking/twins gear to name a few. Have asked Ranches if they need help with anything while we're there. Close gates, pick up spent shells/trash. Leave hotel room in order. Dogs sleep in truck. Spend time in town to get to know locals. MT is a great State that deserves to be treated that way

I'd be pissed if you gave me Viking gear:D Heres the great SD tip I'VE EVER HEARD . FOLLOW THE DNR TRAILER THATS RELEASES THE PHEASANT ON THE PUBLIC GROUD:eek: Straight from hunters that did that. Limit in a minute:)

I'd be pissed if you gave me Viking gear:D Heres the great SD tip I'VE EVER HEARD . FOLLOW THE DNR TRAILER THATS RELEASES THE PHEASANT ON THE PUBLIC GROUD:eek: Straight from hunters that did that. Limit in a minute:)

Shhhhhhh. That was supposed to be our secret

Loose lips sink ships. I laugh at all the information people give out on the internet. Facebook friends letting everyone know that they are going on vacation to hunting and fishing spots. I like to help people too, it's in our nature. The best habitat usually holds birds.

It's fun to find new spots and I know how long it can take to hunt many pieces of public land to find that gem that always has birds.

Google earth can be very helpful.

John, :) How very true:thumbsup:

"My public areas are so hard, you guys couldn't get on the birds without my two black bitches anyway:eek::D:D"

I'll add, most hunters would do anything they could to avoid those tangles.:thumbsup:

Depends....

I've gotten good intel from people on this board and given good intel to those that asked. Generally newcomers or people that said they were. I didn't grow up in a hunting family; I learned from two mentors who didn't mind showing me their honeyholes but we burned a lot of gas after that finding new spots.

But to bring your friends back to someone's spot they were nice enought o show you? :mad::mad::mad:

Back