Asking For/Giving Advice

I have been following this forum regularly for many years now. I enjoy the stories, pictures and general comments. Although, I am a UPH Rookie, I have been hunting for 38 years in 5 states and Canada. I mainly hunt MN & MT now. There is one thing on this site that frustrates me... I can tell by my very first post I am going to open a can of worms here. But here it goes. I might get long winded here.
The issue that bothers me is when people ask for information on hunting areas and the people that give it to them.
I feel that people who ask for information are taking the easy way out. Research is part of the hunt. With today’s technology you should be able to get all the info you need to get started on a destination... That’s how I started many years ago when planning my first MT hunt. My group now has over 2500 acres of private land along with all the public land out there.
Now, the people that give out info. I know it is your right to do so. You are probably thinking, “I’m just helping a guy out” and you are. But, you are also helping everybody else who reads this forum. With hunting land getting harder to come by and keep I feel that someday it is going to bite you in the butt.
A couple of examples. Years ago I duck hunted a lake in ND. For years it was me and 4-6 other rigs. Peaceful. Great Hunting. Good conversation at the landing. Tony Dean mentioned the lake. The next season there were over 20 rigs there. Which brought battles, trash and dog droppings everywhere. Haven’t been back since. This next example might hit home just a little. Last year in MT we struck up a conversation with a group of first timers. When asked how they decided on this area. Their reply was this “one of us read about it on a forum.” Ouch! It is not the general question/answers about terrain, loads, guns,dogs etc. I'll be more than happy to help you out on those. It's the questions about regions, counties, towns. And then the answers that give the regions, counties towns.
Q- I am thinking of going to ND. Does anybody know of where I should start.
A- I have hunted ND for years. Try the ABC Hotel in ABC Town in ABC County.
Also, in some of the great stories I'll read, " I had a great hunt the other day by ABC"
Now everyone that reads those posts knows about the ABCs

These are just my opinions. And we all know what they say about opinions.

Last edited:
Understood!

Have the Strib publish SD hunting in a particular area - invasion to follow!

I think one can be discreet when providing "general" information about a state or area - no one wants to give up their favorite "fishing hole!"

I do like to help others, but there's a ton of onformation that's provided by individual states et al. Just "google" and it's all there.

I couldn't disagree more.

This winter I made the decision that this coming fall, I am going to try a public land hunt in South Dakota. I've never hunted South Dakota, but have always wanted to. I put a post out asking for help and ideas. I didn't ask for, nor expect, anyone to do the work for me, or give me the GPS coordinates of a ditchbank teeming with roosters.

What I got (mostly) was some great and very helpful general advice. Hunting PNT birds on public land and Wisconsin terrain is much different than what I'll be looking at in South Dakota. I got help on where to turn for resources to help me do my homework. I got ideas on a side fishing trip. I got suggestions and info for hunting prairie grouse/chickens by myself with a flushing dog, etc etc. Most of it was general info and what some might consider very basic, but to me it was very helpful and I remain very much in thanks of those that took the time and effort to help.

Part of the research you say that needs to be done is indeed being done by asking others for some general help. In my opinion, one of the few good things about websites like this is the helping out and ideas exchanges.

And yes, I am more than happy to help out anyone else that I can or that asks me for similar assistance.

To all those that help...thank you.

I both agree and disagree. Most of it on here is in the presentation. Makes a big difference in how you ask. I have seen guys here asking for info a couple weeks before the season. Wanting public spots that held birds, pretty specific areas they should try. I have helped blow those guys up. Doesn't really matter, they post a few weeks before the season and usually don't come back around. I am a firm believer that you need to earn your info a little. If you come on here and contribute to other topics, I don't mind helping a little if I can. The guy to ask on here is V-john. He has a bunch of info he doesn't mind sharing:D

CT - cool. I don't think you have a GPS unit because you wouldn't give me the coordinates for the "entertainment" place you discovered near the reservation, so ummm...can I....ummm....get the closest road intersections to any ditches you know about teeming with roosters? ;) I'll be out there by myself so umm...I can only shoot 3 a day for the couple days I'm out there...please? :D

519vx I read your post. The questions that you asked were general queations. And if I had hunting the area I would have helped you out also. Not once did you ask for any counties, towns, or the such. It sounds like you have a handle on that already. Good luck. That area is on my bucket list. Maybe when you get back you could let me know what towns you were bye. LOL

I know what you're saying about people wanting to get wired in the easy way. On the other hand, this is a forum where such quesitions are considered legitimate inquiries. Most responses, mine included, are pretty vague and general and should not lead to "gold rush" type of reactions. Generally the more pointed and demanding the inquiry, the fewer and vaguer the responses.

Last edited:
519vx I read your post. The questions that you asked were general queations. And if I had hunting the area I would have helped you out also. Not once did you ask for any counties, towns, or the such. It sounds like you have a handle on that already. Good luck. That area is on my bucket list. Maybe when you get back you could let me know what towns you were bye. LOL

Assuming everything goes as planned, I intend to do a summary post of my time out there. I won't get specific, but would be happy to share what I learned, which might be of interest to some of the veteran plains hunters here as the trip will be reported through the eyes of a complete newby to that kind of hunting.

As they say, planning a trip is half the fun of going.

I agree with you BLR !!! I have helped some guy's out never to hear back from them again! Now, I can weed those people out to some extent! I now also pm guy's!! Also, the guy's that have been on this forum for a while get a pass if they want a general area report. They have all earned it. Places and birds change year to year and I will find the good ones! Ones that look good and are young CRP I will be back to visit even though I did not do well. Some ground is blindfold ground if you know what I mean! Ground that seems to produce year after year!!! But I have experienced the same things you described. :cheers:

No need to read this. It's in my original post. Don't know how to delete a post. I am a Rookie you know.

After reading some of the replies I went back and read my original post. It is not the general question/answers about terrain, loads, guns,dogs etc. I'll be more than happen to help you out on those. It's the questions about regions, counties, towns. And then the answers that give the regions, counties towns.
Also, in some of the great stories I'll read, " I had a great hunt the other day by ABC"

Last edited:
I think it comes in all categories! Hunting spot inquiry, we get a lot of questions about breeds of dogs, gunshy behavior they want you to solve, including finding 16ga. shotgun shells, ( I guess RST, Gander Mountain, Rogers, and Cabela's are unknown!), even which breed of dog, and what they do in the field. I think Carptom said it best, sometimes it's the way it was prefaced. For me it depends of what I feel like! Ocassionally I get tired of repeating the same thing that anybody with some inquisitive spirit could find out, or look in the archives, or better yet should have know anyway! I don't think we can run them all off, or there would not be much of a Forum, at all.

BLR, You have to understand, NO WAY are pheasant hunters asking for info going to be a problem as far as pheasant hunting and the future of pheasant hunting in North America.
I give out a ton of information. Sometimes to the GOOD guys even a "honey hole or two"
Hunters are such a minority.
So what are you after?

I don't mind giving out some pointers to people unfamiliar with my state. I'm not going to give away my private honey holes or which BMA's to hunt though. A lot about hunting is the scouting/research, but it's ok to throw a bone once in a while, albeit a small bone. There was another thread on here about how out of state hunters were viewed in other states. I was born and raised in MT and the one thing I can't stand is rude, disrespectful people ruining it for all the honest hunters doing it right. There is nothing wrong with helping people once in a while.

I think Pheasants Forever magazine had the top 20 pheasant hunting towns and a write up about them. I don't think it is big secret but I understand when a town or specific region gets given to someone when they just ask for general info. I have gotten some good general conditions info for specific areas but most was via Pm.

I think it comes in all categories! Hunting spot inquiry, we get a lot of questions about breeds of dogs, gunshy behavior they want you to solve, including finding 16ga. shotgun shells, ( I guess RST, Gander Mountain, Rogers, and Cabela's are unknown!), even which breed of dog, and what they do in the field. I think Carptom said it best, sometimes it's the way it was prefaced. For me it depends of what I feel like! Ocassionally I get tired of repeating the same thing that anybody with some inquisitive spirit could find out, or look in the archives, or better yet should have know anyway! I don't think we can run them all off, or there would not be much of a Forum, at all.

I am not looking to run anybody off this forum. I enjoy it like everybody else.

I don't mind giving out some pointers to people unfamiliar with my state. I'm not going to give away my private honey holes or which BMA's to hunt though. A lot about hunting is the scouting/research, but it's ok to throw a bone once in a while, albeit a small bone. There was another thread on here about how out of state hunters were viewed in other states. I was born and raised in MT and the one thing I can't stand is rude, disrespectful people ruining it for all the honest hunters doing it right. There is nothing wrong with helping people once in a while.

I think you kind of understand where I'm coming from. I'm all for helping a guy out too. Albeit it will be small help. And not on a puplic forum. A little about my group so you don't put us in the rude/disrespectful category. In all the years out there we have never hunted on land where we didn't ask first. All Ranches who let us hunt get token of our appreciation ie hand harvested wild rice, gopher/viking/twins gear to name a few. Have asked Ranches if they need help with anything while we're there. Close gates, pick up spent shells/trash. Leave hotel room in order. Dogs sleep in truck. Spend time in town to get to know locals. MT is a great State that deserves to be treated that way

No need to read this. It's in my original post. Don't know how to delete a post. I am a Rookie you know.

After reading some of the replies I went back and read my original post. It is not the general question/answers about terrain, loads, guns,dogs etc. I'll be more than happen to help you out on those. It's the questions about regions, counties, towns. And then the answers that give the regions, counties towns.

to edit it you click the edit bubble ,you change your post then hit save, it reposts ,i dont know how to delete it,hope this helps
as far as advice goes you might say in bent county,or along highway u.s 50
this helps our neighbors so you can visit hit their diner and buy some gas,its called hunting ,not getting

Last edited:
I would gladly give out some honey holes (via pm of course) to any of the regulars trying to plan a trip this far west and I hope most of them would do the same. Hey, its not like a couple Cali boys with unruly springers who are used to hunting tame quail do to much damage in a couple days right?:cheers:

LOL. :cheers:

Knowledge is free to give or keep. If somebody posted about one of the areas I hunt I'd be bummed but that info is no more mine to keep then theirs to give.

On the other hand if I told or showed somebody some new spots and they spead the word they'd never hunt with me again and I might kick em in the ass.

I think at issue is how people are treated in the post. As an example i recently posted for some general info to see if I'm sniffing around the right part of a damn big state. In the first post I basically got called lazy.
Yep, I can do my own research. The state website is all torn up however, the past maps aren't online since state leases are in renogotiation. And part of my research is a couple notes from other real live hunters.
Following posts gave me exactly the confirmation I was looking for- that the several hundreds of square miles i mentioned was a good start. Following posts and PMs gave more detail then I was hoping for but i still don't have the names of hunting areas, roads, or ranchers. I don't expect that. I do have a start though.
I agree there is a difference in asking for info in March versus October. But making an assumption about a fella posting because of perceptions of other hunters just plain aint right. If a person is asking for too much- just dont answer.

Back