Anyone adding a dog this year?

Unfortunately my wife is having health problems so we don't want to take on a pup until her issues are dealt with. I have always tried to acquire a new pup by April at the latest, then I can start limited hunting with them by November. It doesn't look like that is going to happen this year, but the 6 year old we have is so good I'm not worried, though after hunting with two dogs for so many years I feel a bit naked going into the field with just one, but that one makes me smile:

P2080183.JPG

I added another French spaniel last year. I have a 10 year old so I wanted to hunt them together as long as she’s able. My son lives next door and we bought a sister/brother combo. All of them came from Minnesota French spaniels. They are hairy critters, but are a lot of fun to hunt behind. Had all three out west last fall, so that was a circus. They are pretty methodical to hunt behind and in no big hurry, which works well at age 65. My female got hurt playing with her brother, and I just put two grand into a rear knee to fix a luxating patella. We have been rehabbing for 8 weeks now, and she seems to be coming along very well. Quite a process, tho. Youth hunt was fun for my grandkids in September. Both dogs served up a few shooters. I forgot how much work a new puppy is.

Attachments

• B59E2F60-0266-4C40-9AC8-388891E290C0.jpeg
    B59E2F60-0266-4C40-9AC8-388891E290C0.jpeg
    613.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 1D41F099-8156-49CA-A4D5-5A6472B3D92F.jpeg
    1D41F099-8156-49CA-A4D5-5A6472B3D92F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
I really want to not sure I will be able to though, mine is 11 now and unfortunately I don't to have a ton of time to hunt as it is. I feel though if I don't have a dog the desire to go will be less and less. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment.

I really want to not sure I will be able to though, mine is 11 now and unfortunately I don't to have a ton of time to hunt as it is. I feel though if I don't have a dog the desire to go will be less and less. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment.
I was at the same place 4 months ago. I have a 4 month old pup and training has started. I am 69 years young and will need a another dog in a year or two. You need to bite the bullet and get a pup.

I added another French spaniel last year. I have a 10 year old so I wanted to hunt them together as long as she’s able. My son lives next door and we bought a sister/brother combo. All of them came from Minnesota French spaniels. They are hairy critters, but are a lot of fun to hunt behind. Had all three out west last fall, so that was a circus. They are pretty methodical to hunt behind and in no big hurry, which works well at age 65. My female got hurt playing with her brother, and I just put two grand into a rear knee to fix a luxating patella. We have been rehabbing for 8 weeks now, and she seems to be coming along very well. Quite a process, tho. Youth hunt was fun for my grandkids in September. Both dogs served up a few shooters. I forgot how much work a new puppy is.
Mark, did you start a new handle on this site? What happened to the old one?

I love reading about the guys getting new dogs and I love reading about, and researching, various dog breeds. Especially the more rare breeds. But I think my 5 year old Brittany is probably my last dog as I'll be 76 the end of this month and I can see the sun setting on my hunting days. I'm also not in a position to have two dogs at this time. So for you gentlemen and ladies that are thinking about adding another dog, my advice is to "get r done" before it's too late. And keep the pics coming of the new pups.

Hey George,

At 84, with a Golden that will be 12 in September, I continue to contemplate another hunting friend. Can't imagine hunting without a dog, but assume my legs will tell me when the hunt is over...

Jonnyb, Congratulations are in order for you. You are the exception for your good health. I'm glad you are thinking about getting another dog. Long live jonnyb....Go get them this fall. What part of the country do you hunt?

Jonnyb, Congratulations are in order for you. You are the exception for your good health. I'm glad you are thinking about getting another dog. Long live jonnyb....Go get them this fall. What part of the country do you hunt?
Birdman,

Thanks for the kind words...mainly hunt SD, west river and some in western MN(preserve).

Hey George,

At 84, with a Golden that will be 12 in September, I continue to contemplate another hunting friend. Can't imagine hunting without a dog, but assume my legs will tell me when the hunt is over...
I'd love to see a pic of that sweet Golden of yours!

Hey George,

I know I'll never still be hunting at age 84. I've slowed down a lot in the past few years. I've got Afib and my stamina is not good. An hour or two in the field anymore and I'm done. Plus my back is getting worse with the L4 & L5 grinding on each other. A lot of lower back pain and sciatica. But as long a Bree is around and able to go I'll be out there trying to find a few roosters. Thank God for Ibuprofen!

I have a litter of setters due in the second week of May and I will try my damndest to NOT keep one. I'm carrying 14 right now and they aren't getting the time they deserve. My health has slid some in the past few years and I'm sure not doing 40 long days afield any more. Hopefully the calendar will keep me around for some years as there are roosters the dogs and I haven't met yet!

View attachment 3217
Meet Indee my new pudelpointer… here we go again!
Have fun looks about the same except I ended up with a black one. She is quite the little terror at this point. Started working on some obedience and retrieving. They seem to have good instincts. It will be an experience for sure. Raven at 10 weeks:

Attachments

• D0CE7CC7-CBAD-44BA-AEA3-F50E41F6483D.jpeg
    D0CE7CC7-CBAD-44BA-AEA3-F50E41F6483D.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
Meet Sunny. She is MH sired and has 3 NFC's in 3 generations. And a Hall of Fame GRHRCH grandpa. Loves pigeons!

Attachments

• IMG_20220327_201715821.jpg
    IMG_20220327_201715821.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 6
Back