Anyone adding a dog this year?

Quailnerd

I’m adding a new pup to the kennel in a few months which made me wonder who else will be doing the same. Shaking things up a bit at my house with my first pudelpointer! I’ve been around quite a few and couldn’t hold out any longer. Kept my brothers pup this year December to February and she won me over. I can’t wait!

Well up until last night the Boss just laughed when I brought it up….. but a friend showed her some puppy pics and she said she would be open to a new addition! So the search begins! Probably won’t be in 2022 unless I find a unicorn. I’m guessing 2023 for me

Had to put our 11 year old yellow lab down Friday. She just couldn't make it any longer. So yes, we will be looking, and hopefully finding a new pup this year. We've had yellow labs so many years I know we won't change, so any thoughts on good breeders, preferably in the west (Kansas, Colorado, South Dakota or nearby), is appreciated. Flushers only. Pointing labs are for younger guys that know how to train pointers.

Is bringing home a dog that age any different than a 8 week old? On the lines of bonding, not everyday bathroom accidents or chewing shoes'
Is bringing home a dog that age any different than a 8 week old? On the lines of bonding, not everyday bathroom accidents or chewing shoes.
Yes, it is different. Bonding will happen but not like it does when you raise one from 8 weeks. You will miss some of the fun stuff like chewing everything up, whining all night, but not all. I actually think house breaking is easier with a little older dog. You are at the mercy of the breeder as how much the older dogs have been exposed to, or training. I was really mislead this time, as I spent around the same money as a broke dog would have cost me. She was advertised as starting to point and retrieve. Not even close. That's my fault, I'll just have to do a little more work. She has adjusted well. My experience has been that you are more apt to9with an older dog) see some problems associated with the two breeds we are talking about as they can really bond with one person and have a tougher time adjusting to a new owner.

Had to put our 11 year old yellow lab down Friday. She just couldn't make it any longer. So yes, we will be looking, and hopefully finding a new pup this year. We've had yellow labs so many years I know we won't change, so any thoughts on good breeders, preferably in the west (Kansas, Colorado, South Dakota or nearby), is appreciated. Flushers only. Pointing labs are for younger guys that know how to train pointers.
Sorry Jim. Good luck..

My English dam and her pup. The pup was 6 months old here. I thought I had added my last Lab put this past April but it was not to be.

6C9FA239-F6D1-4E72-86FF-C69D8F3AC1D8.jpeg
Sad story starts here. I bred my current English bitch above via A/I. The stud had died at age 15 but was collected at age 9, about 2013. The stud was out of the last litter I bred using my first UK bitch and I stud I bred. THAT stud was out of the sire/dam that my buddy and I used to start our line. So through AI, her paternal great grandparents were the two great Labs we started our line with back in the late 90's. On the bitch side, she brought together the lines of the English woman who bred my first import, Kate, and present dog Misty, the dam.

I kept an absolutely beautiful, smart, biddable, joyous yellow bitch out of that litter. Never had a dog easier to train. Learned SO fast. Anyway, a month ago, she was out, doing her business, came back in smiling, laid down and took a nap. About 20 minutes later, she raised her head, gave out three long terrible howls and died right there. I ran over and had her in my arms at the end of her third howl and she died in my arms. Could not resuscitate her. Autopsy found nothing. Sent organ tissues to the state vet school; nothing found. Just sucks. Sent the food in to be checked at the vet school even though she and her dam ate the same stuff and nothing happened to the dam. Changed foods that same day anyway. Jessie was gone in a flash at 9 months. The vets don't autopsy the brain so speculation is some kind of brain aneurysm. We'll never really know.

I am still grieving deeply over losing the pup, Jessie. Damn, she was IT. She had it all. Temperament, confirmation, personality, biddable, excellent nose for birds, you name she was topline. She was to be my last dog. Jess was taken from me...at 9 months. I'm still angry at Fate/The Universe/Satan....something. If I dwell on her very long I can still breakdown. Damn, I loved that little pup.

But I'm never getting her back. All I have now is some pics and videos. And her ashes. All that love I had for her has to go somewhere and my wife feels exactly as I do. Misty has always been showered with love. She's an amazing dog herself but she's almost 7. If I outlive her without another Lab to love, it'd be the end of me.

So, we went looking for another quality English lab. Thanks to Covid rule changes it now costs about $5000 just to transport a dog from the UK to here. So a tip of the hat to Westksbowhunter for mentioning the UK line Lab he got this year. It was whelped at Riverview Farms, an excellent UK Lab kennel near Nashville. You never know when something you post here will help another guy out. A big THANKS to Westks.

We're lucky they just happened to accept us as buyers I guess. Had to fill out a 25 question questionnaire. Must have done it right because the girl that called said we get to pick from two yellow bitches. She says that never happens. The woman running the show reads the applications and if accepted she figures out which dog in the litter is "right" for that applicant. Lady said the boss woman was impressed and let us have a choice of the two she picked for us. The catch was we had to hustle down ASAP as the litter was just short of 8 weeks and they were going to new homes. Turned out we were the first to pick.

So 5 days ago we picked this one. Now I'm starting over. Very good lines. We love her already. Has transitioned to our home almost instantly. Never did cry for her lost littermates. Just to go outside at midnight and 4 to do her business and back to sleep. Seems pretty dang smart. Catching on to how things work quickly. This pic is her first nite in the hotel on the way home; the nightstand made a good sleeping cave so we stuck some vet fleece in there and that's where she wanted to sleep.

1645992732314.png

So, yes. I've added a dog this year. Certainly not the way I planned though.

I’m adding a new pup to the kennel in a few months which made me wonder who else will be doing the same. Shaking things up a bit at my house with my first pudelpointer! I’ve been around quite a few and couldn’t hold out any longer. Kept my brothers pup this year December to February and she won me over. I can’t wait!
Funny I did the exact thing I have had nothing but hard charging labs the last 25 years after growing up with English Pointers. So I decided as I am heading towards sixty I might want to get a pointer, but I still wanted a good retriever. I picked mine up last Saturday.

That sucks. Mine is 13 and fading quickly.

My English dam and her pup. The pup was 6 months old here. I thought I had added my last Lab put this past April but it was not to be.

View attachment 3020
Sad story starts here. I bred my current English bitch above via A/I. The stud had died at age 15 but was collected at age 9, about 2013. The stud was out of the last litter I bred using my first UK bitch and I stud I bred. THAT stud was out of the sire/dam that my buddy and I used to start our line. So through AI, her paternal great grandparents were the two great Labs we started our line with back in the late 90's. On the bitch side, she brought together the lines of the English woman who bred my first import, Kate, and present dog Misty, the dam.

I kept an absolutely beautiful, smart, biddable, joyous yellow bitch out of that litter. Never had a dog easier to train. Learned SO fast. Anyway, a month ago, she was out, doing her business, came back in smiling, laid down and took a nap. About 20 minutes later, she raised her head, gave out three long terrible howls and died right there. I ran over and had her in my arms at the end of her third howl and she died in my arms. Could not resuscitate her. Autopsy found nothing. Sent organ tissues to the state vet school; nothing found. Just sucks. Sent the food in to be checked at the vet school even though she and her dam ate the same stuff and nothing happened to the dam. Changed foods that same day anyway. Jessie was gone in a flash at 9 months. The vets don't autopsy the brain so speculation is some kind of brain aneurysm. We'll never really know.

I am still grieving deeply over losing the pup, Jessie. Damn, she was IT. She had it all. Temperament, confirmation, personality, biddable, excellent nose for birds, you name she was topline. She was to be my last dog. Jess was taken from me...at 9 months. I'm still angry at Fate/The Universe/Satan....something. If I dwell on her very long I can still breakdown. Damn, I loved that little pup.

But I'm never getting her back. All I have now is some pics and videos. And her ashes. All that love I had for her has to go somewhere and my wife feels exactly as I do. Misty has always been showered with love. She's an amazing dog herself but she's almost 7. If I outlive her without another Lab to love, it'd be the end of me.

So, we went looking for another quality English lab. Thanks to Covid rule changes it now costs about $5000 just to transport a dog from the UK to here. So a tip of the hat to Westksbowhunter for mentioning the UK line Lab he got this year. It was whelped at Riverview Farms, an excellent UK Lab kennel near Nashville. You never know when something you post here will help another guy out. A big THANKS to Westks.

We're lucky they just happened to accept us as buyers I guess. Had to fill out a 25 question questionnaire. Must have done it right because the girl that called said we get to pick from two yellow bitches. She says that never happens. The woman running the show reads the applications and if accepted she figures out which dog in the litter is "right" for that applicant. Lady said the boss woman was impressed and let us have a choice of the two she picked for us. The catch was we had to hustle down ASAP as the litter was just short of 8 weeks and they were going to new homes. Turned out we were the first to pick.

So 5 days ago we picked this one. Now I'm starting over. Very good lines. We love her already. Has transitioned to our home almost instantly. Never did cry for her lost littermates. Just to go outside at midnight and 4 to do her business and back to sleep. Seems pretty dang smart. Catching on to how things work quickly. This pic is her first nite in the hotel on the way home; the nightstand made a good sleeping cave so we stuck some vet fleece in there and that's where she wanted to sleep.

View attachment 3023

So, yes. I've added a dog this year. Certainly not the way I planned
Sorry to hear that, best of luck with your new pup

Had a chance a few years ago to take a dog in a similar situation, It just didn’t feel right. I couldn’t get passed the unknown, I wish her well.

Sorry for your loss Jim!

View attachment 3020

View attachment 3023

So, yes. I've added a dog this year. Certainly not the way I planned though.
So sorry to hear about the loss of your pup! All our partners have a place in our hearts that will live forever. You new pup looks great and I wish you many years in the field together.

Was looking for another lab all last year, as my oldest is aging out, and I like to have 2 working dogs. Kind of on a whim, I called a friend in the dog industry and asked for a springer recommendation. Called the breeder he recommended, got a good feeling, and he had a litter on the ground, but all the females were spoken for. I told him to let me know if somebody backed out, and lo and behold...I’m back in the spaniel game.

Attachments

• 3EC931C3-B719-4F93-866F-7309CA412F6B.jpeg
    3EC931C3-B719-4F93-866F-7309CA412F6B.jpeg
    672.2 KB · Views: 12
I've been looking for a Vizsla pup since I lost my girl two years ago. A breeder I've kept in touch with had a litter in December and I decided to get a male out of the litter. Brought him home a few weeks ago. We are calling him Goose.

Attachments

• 639A06A7-96EC-4913-987F-B8C619044773.jpeg
    639A06A7-96EC-4913-987F-B8C619044773.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
I picked up my third Springer last November. I had been researching breeders all over the Country for a Spring of 2023 litter, and happened across a litter with incredible genetics, 30 minutes from home. This gentleman only has a litter every few years when he is ready for another dog, so Spring of '23 turned into Fall of '21. My oldest Springer turned 3 yesterday, so I should be set for at least a few more years.

Back