Anybody getting ready for the pheasant season? Buying new clothes,guns,pups,ect.???

planning on SW Kansas for the Pheasant opener in November, a Grouse trip to Michigan, I picked up a Winchester 1897 Black Diamond trap 12 gauge I will use on short hunts (heavy gun) just for the nostalgia of it!

Gettin ready

Me and the 3 dogs are always getting ready for the season. Done bought everything I need except land! That is next! I always am getting ready to hunt by either working the dogs or working the land and or workin myself to afford gas to hunt!!!!! still shooting the 4 cases of Rooster load I bought before ammo prices went up. Pratice shooting sporting clays... them wild birds move fast and we owe it to them to make good shots.

Just purchased my plane ticket for the opener! Just got a new spear gun, but don't think the range would be too good in the fields!

New Shotgun

Buying a new shotgun next weekend. Still debating between the Beretta A400, Browning Maxus and Benelli Vinci. Any advice?

I have several Benelli's but can't get comfortable with the Vinci...my brother has the Browning Maxus and loves it. I think it points fine but I keep going back to my old M1. Don't know anything about the new Beretta but it looks cool..good luck, they all are great guns.

I recently bought a bigger and newer hunting truck. Went from a 95 Tahoe to a an 03 Suburban. The Suburban was backed into on the rear right side but the rear door seals and it drives straight, got a pretty good deal on it plus it has 140,000 less miles than the tohoe. Besides, the deer and pheasant don't care what it looks like :D
Also looking to add another dog which would make two. I'm actually looking for an older dog. I'm looking at rescue's, lodges and kennels that want to rotate out the older dogs.

New Hat

Got a new blaze orange boonie cuz my old one was faded from age and washing.

getting yet another new brittany this one comes from fine hunting stock he should be almost ready for this fall by the time it gets here

Congrats on the new dog. My brothers new pup will hopefully take some of the work load off my dog this year. He doesn't mind working tirelessly day in and day out, but it will be nice to keep a fresh dog on the ground.

Cool forum.

Well I actually inherited a couple of shotguns this spring from my grandpa who passed away. He was the one who introduced me to bird hunting and I'll really miss not being able to hunt with him.

I'll not be using my Winchester Pump 12 ga. in favor of shooting my grandpa's Savage 311a 16ga SxS. I've only used the gun once or twice on my very first quail hunts and missed each time, so I'll have to get use to shooting it. I also inherited an old Winchester Model 12 also in a 16 gauge, but I really have little desire to hunt with it... it's HEAVY.

July 5th I'll also be picking up my very first bird dog. I am getting a Vizsla and am very excited to have a pet as well as a dog to point out some birds. It will only be 6 months old by the time I get around to bird hunting but at least I'll get to take the pup out and get it some experience running in the field. I need to pick up some live birds here in a few months and get some training in.

Welcome Fellow Kansan

Cool forum.

Well I actually inherited a couple of shotguns this spring from my grandpa who passed away. He was the one who introduced me to bird hunting and I'll really miss not being able to hunt with him.

I'll not be using my Winchester Pump 12 ga. in favor of shooting my grandpa's Savage 311a 16ga SxS. I've only used the gun once or twice on my very first quail hunts and missed each time, so I'll have to get use to shooting it. I also inherited an old Winchester Model 12 also in a 16 gauge, but I really have little desire to hunt with it... it's HEAVY.

July 5th I'll also be picking up my very first bird dog. I am getting a Vizsla and am very excited to have a pet as well as a dog to point out some birds. It will only be 6 months old by the time I get around to bird hunting but at least I'll get to take the pup out and get it some experience running in the field. I need to pick up some live birds here in a few months and get some training in.

Welcome to the site!

Welcome to th UPH, we are happy to see you here. Drop by and post often........Bob

So I bought a new shotgun last year got a pup in Jan so most of my money and time are going to him however I did get a new truck 09 F-150 Supercrew really all I need now is my license and a first aid kit for the dog and I have everything else!!!

Oh yea... I got a 1996 F150 4x4 so I can hit the back roads without tearing up my car. I guess it's been a good year towards getting gear for hunting.

JJoel,

How many miles do you have on the truck? I've been looking for a 90's pickup justfor that exact reason, but the mileage has me worried.

Truck just turned over 168,000. I think the consensus is to not worry about the mileage but try to get something with little to no rust (that's the hard part).

The truck has been very good, of course it is used so I've already put some work into it but it's worth having a 4x4.

well i got a new pup born july 2, will go july 24th and see the pup that im interested in and others as well. (not to mention, the remaining 8 pups are for sale!!!)

got a POS car for work... hunting for a new permement house, and others im sure will interest me on the way.

sold my boat and bought a new camper for this fall. now I dont have to waste time driving back to town after a long day of hunting. bought some new gun cleaning solvents and supplies for my guns.I have been doing lots of trap shooting with my family. Im starting to get that itch!!!

Back