Anybody getting ready for the pheasant season? Buying new clothes,guns,pups,ect.???

Well I could not let Bob and everyone else have all the fun.:D So I now have two new nice projects, both about 7 weeks old. Blue River Kept on Runnin, "Forest" and The Fast Track of Blue River Flows, "Current". She is a full sister to my "River" dog.
We just train all summer. It will be fun to have 4 trial dogs, then at least I should be able to always have 1 or 2 to run. After missing events because of injury etc., I wanted options. Plus they are the future of our breeding program, "Hopefully".:thumbsup:

P.S. As said before "NEVER", never, spoil your bird dog. Have a good off season everyone.
:cheers:

P5100237.jpg

P5080236.jpg

What do you mean Never, Ever spoil your bird dog. Heck my are spoiled the minute they come into my home. The worse part is they know I'm a push over for them. But I don't think I'd have it any other way. Right now I'm 5 minutes late on their daily run time. Yes, they are crying, banging the roof of the kennel and such. When they quiet down I'll take them.

That new pup looks good I see it is right at home already. I also see you don't ever spoil a dog either.........Bob

Well I could not let Bob and everyone else have all the fun.:D So I now have two new nice projects, both about 7 weeks old. Blue River Kept on Runnin, "Forest" and The Fast Track of Blue River Flows, "Current". She is a full sister to my "River" dog.
We just train all summer. It will be fun to have 4 trial dogs, then at least I should be able to always have 1 or 2 to run. After missing events because of injury etc., I wanted options. Plus they are the future of our breeding program, "Hopefully".:thumbsup:

P.S. As said before "NEVER", never, spoil your bird dog. Have a good off season everyone.
:cheers:

P5100237.jpg

P5080236.jpg

Really, what is cuter than a springer puppy?

Nice pups!

I just worked out a deal with my mother in law: I will refinish her wood floors, and she will buy me a new gun.

I am looking at the Benelli Montefeltro Silvers. They just feel good in my hands. I definately want a semiauto. Any others I should look closely at?

I have an 11-87 and an 1100.

jeffstally

great gun, very purdy the sliver. u plan on this being a field gun? if so, its going to get beat up. i have the monte in walnut, i dont have to worry about it getting beat up . a little sand paper, and stain its good. hope it all works out for you:)

Yeah, I would use it as a field gun. I am sure it will get beat up but the rougher it gets, the more fun I had.:) I figured that I would save the 11-87 for the duck blind and rainy/wet days in the uplands.

I think that the Silver only comes with a 28 inch barrel. Don't most grouse guys use a 26? I would like to do some grouse hunting, but maybe in would be stupid to bring that gun in the woods anyways...

Put a new Benelli Nova 20g on layaway. I intend to use it this fall on Ohio preserve birds. This will be my first foray into bird hunting as I have run beagles for 30 years and that took all my time.

Ordered a new Beretta OU 12 gauge and have a new GSP Puppy to play with. Still rounding up some other gear before the fall.
An update, this is Woodrow, he turned 6 months on Monday, May 31.
IMG_0014.jpg

Last edited:
Ahhh yes the new Benelli, I had one, but had to trade to get my OU. They are the sweetest auto loaders on the market. Just watch the finish on a blue gun, They rust easy.
I also found the dog box I was looking for. A Crow River 3 hole with fans etc., Stainless interior, all insulated. Sweet box. Gota get the floor built with the drawers in the truck now. So I can set it in.

Last edited:
Boots-Danner Pronghorns, mine are worn out after 4 hard years, either replacing with exact same, or trying some Irish Setter uplanders

Pup-Bought a GSP off the classifieds here prior to the season last year, she'll just be over a year old come this season. Took her out the last weekend last year and had several points, as well as tame birds in March. She points everything imaginable in the yard right now, bluebirds, butterflies, bumblebees, guess it makes good 'whoa' practice.

Boots-Danner Pronghorns, mine are worn out after 4 hard years, either replacing with exact same, or trying some Irish Setter uplanders

cheesy, check out my post under "Gear & Equipment" on the Irish Setter Tamarack boots. I also have a pair of Pronghorns that are very comfy but leak like a sieve. The Tamaracks are very comfortable also and I know they will withstand water better than the Pronghorns from my past experience with Irish Setters. Cabelas has the Tamaracks on sale, $60 off in uninsulated, 400 gr. or 800 gr.

Wow, I'm jealous of all you guys getting new pups and shotguns.... I'm probably going to be replacing an e-collar soon and may go crazy with a buffalo whistle, but that's it for this year.

cheesy, check out my post under "Gear & Equipment" on the Irish Setter Tamarack boots. I also have a pair of Pronghorns that are very comfy but leak like a sieve. The Tamaracks are very comfortable also and I know they will withstand water better than the Pronghorns from my past experience with Irish Setters. Cabelas has the Tamaracks on sale, $60 off in uninsulated, 400 gr. or 800 gr.

Just an f.y.i. to everyone. If you have Gore-Tex boots that leak, call Gore-Tex and get a return authorization number and send them in. If they leak, and not from a puncture or something but just the Gore-Tex failing, they will replace the boots.

Gore guarantees the product not to leak for the "useful life of the product." I sent a 4 year old pair of Cabela's Gore-Tex boots in that leaked. 2 weeks later they called and said the product failed and for me to go pick out any Gore-Tex boot that I wanted and give them the model number. I had new boots in 10 days at no charge. I have since done it with a pair of Rocky boots as well.

http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellite/content/customer-service/contact-us

just sold my boat and bought a pop-up camper for this summer and the fall hunting season. I figure it will save me money because I dont have to rent a motel and I dont to drive back to town. So I will save time and gas.I cant wait for fall.

My biggest purchase this year is this little fellow from BlueRiver Kennels. Say hello to Gus.
387714018.jpg

We have been working on the puppy training for the last week and he is a smart little sucker. Learns fast.

Shotguns and gear are pretty well in order. Always looking for deals on ammo and shooting a few offseason clays.

BobM

Hey Gus your a handsome little devil. I'm planning on picking up a 28ga sxs before season (for quail), need a new vest that can hold water and everything for the dogs. Other than that just running the dogs to keep them in shape and sharp, working on steadying, maybe an e collar. Oh wait rabbit season starts July 1st we get to hunt soon. Springers are great rabbit dogs.

Last edited:
Gus, meet Woodrow. I need to learn how to count. Woodrow was 5 months old on May 31.

IMG_0014.jpg

Last edited:
Back